1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks says he's back with the Rockets!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ERC

ERC Member

AB shot a paltry 11.1% (1-of-9) from 3's in this year's playoffs though :(

Still like the low-risk signing, nonetheless.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he shot career highs this year, though I could be mistaken.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3192/aaron-brooks

DD

#822 DaDakota, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  3. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Brooks, Lin, Beverley... Who's better. Blah blah blah.

When the smoke clears we all will see that Isaiah is better than all three of these dudes.

4. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Canaan has played exactly zero games in the NBA, and he was a second-round pick. Like Beverley, he is short for the league, and there is absolutely no guarantee that he can actually make it, let alone become the "stud" that everyone seems to think. He will probably spend his first year in the D-League to ensure that he gets enough playing time and for the team to get a feel for how he performs.

Brooks is probably going to play combo guard backup for the times when the team doesn't want Beverley out on the floor for some reason, probably most likely as Harden's replacement when they want more offense with a Lin/Brooks combo than a Lin/Beverley combo.

There is a reason that Brooks was available in the first place, and there's a reason he was only signed to a one-year veteran's minimum contract.

I doubt Morey would trade Lin (& Asik) for just a PF. He needs Beverley, Brooks, and Canaan have all yet to prove they are starting-caliber point guards in the NBA. It's a huge gamble to take on a team that is poised to make some deep playoff runs. Even if you make Harden the de facto PG, you need more depth at two positions than those three players can provide.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

hahah what a strange exchange

6. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Talking **** about the jazz and "off topic" are words that have no business together in the same sentence... Anywhere, anytime, bring on the Utah jazz **** talking. Cheers. FTR, jazz still have 0 titles. I smile every time I say and/or think about that.

7. returningfan

returningfan Member

When is the deadline for the roster to be 15 players?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Before opening night.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love AB, always have. I believe that his upside is higher than most think. Believe that he has sort of gotten a raw deal, injuries and all, but I would love for him to get a real chance to show what he can do. With Beverly, I don't know how much playing time he can get. He needs that court time to get back in the grove.

10. Gil

Gil Member

Great insurance when Lin gets traded after the all star break.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good for him.

Easy to root for a guy like AB.

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Isaiah was drafted in the 2nd round but that doesn't discredit the fact that he was still considered 1st round talent. He has unlimited shooting range (he's probably the best outside shooter on this team right now) and don't worry about his height because he has a 40 inch vertical and he uses it. And do you know how tall Chris Paul is...????????

Lin comes and goes during the regular season and has done nothing in the playoffs, Beverley did good against a backup (and he fouls a lot which takes him out the game), And Brooks hasn't been the same since Manu stole his soul (he shot 38% from the field and 11% from the three point line in the playoffs). None of these guys have solidified themselves as being the best guard to put in the backcourt with Harden.

Morey knows what he's doing when it comes to point guards. And Isaiah will go to the D-League, but he probably won't be there for long.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Canaan has Steve Novak shooting ability. 46 percent from downtown in catch and shoot situations in a down shooting year. If he can get his shot off and play at NBA speed, he is going to be in the league for a long time.

14. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

So basically the argument against the fact that Canaan hasn't actually proven he can play in the NBA is to say that he has the potential to play in the NBA.

I agree that he could turn out to be a very good shooter. But that doesn't diminish the actual risk that exists. He hasn't played in the NBA yet. Until he does, it is a gamble to assume that he can serve as an adequate bench player if you get rid of Lin.

If you're willing to accept that risk as part of the cost of upgrading elsewhere, then that's one thing. But some people are acting like he's a sure-fire thing and that getting rid of Lin and slotting in Beverley/Brooks/Canaan is an automatic wash (or upgrade, depending upon how much you dislike Lin). I think for many people who look at this more objectively, it's not clear that you are actually going to come out ahead and you could potentially be downgrading over the long term, especially if Canaan just doesn't work out.

The team has a four-year window right now to contend for championships. This is not the time to simply swap proven players in and out of the roster. In terms of Wins, there is a huge, very meaningful difference over the course of a season between a starting-caliber player and the guys who sit on the bench, or even the guys playing out their rookie years. It's the difference between a winning record and getting to the playoffs, or getting to the playoffs and actually getting into the deeper rounds. You are risking at least one year of a very short 4-year window by having other players with little-or-no NBA experience take up significant minutes over the season.

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

exactly, BEV is a killer deal right now. we have AB who houston clearly loves, and a rookie with a huge amount of potential. If anyone goes it'll likely be Lin

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Like stats guru Kevin Pelton?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FuturePowerRankings-1-130530/1-5
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@nba_lockdown Would have to hope one of those teams (or someone with space) *really* likes Jeremy Lin.</p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/statuses/345628718452072448">June 14, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton">@kpelton</a> can he handle full time duty? Would you want a vet to back him up?</p>&mdash; Nate Tepp (@natetepp) <a href="https://twitter.com/natetepp/statuses/353358432352473089">July 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/natetepp">@natetepp</a> Handled it fine during the playoffs. Maybe on a veteran, but not as pressing a need as backup wing.</p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/statuses/353358572115083268">July 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/forumbluegold">@forumbluegold</a> I think the Rockets are more willing to move guys than most teams b/c of ability to pull GSmith, Beverley out of thin air.</p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/statuses/351501930452877312">July 1, 2013</a></blockquote>

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Nope, Isaiah hasn't proven he can play in the NBA just like Lin and Beverley haven't proven they are the best fit with Harden. But I believe Isaiah is. Just my opinion and we will find out soon enough.

You should read this article about Isaiah and see what actual people in the NBA (like Chris Paul) say about him .

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/draft/01/22/murray-state-isaiah-canaan-nba-draft/index.html#$/2013/news/draft/01/22/murray-state-isaiah-canaan-nba-draft/index.html

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

all this speculation is beginning to bug me. Tell when Lin is 100% traded. Pure fantasy from ABJs at this moment. Meanwhile I rather spend my time thinking of other more useful stuff.

19. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Crazy how active clutch fans is getting, can't believe this thread is in the 40's.