1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samuel Dalembert?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jpar212, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

First off from a Mavs fan congratulations on winning the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. I thought in the end he was going to Golden State and that Houston was way to over confident about getting him, look like I was an idiot in that regard. Now we are looking at Samuel Dalembert (hopefully as a backup). Hope we can do a trade to get a better starting center but for now lets assume he is going to be our starting center. I know my thoughts on him but I wanted to get some opinions on him from some fans who watched him for a full year. So if there are any Rockets fans out there that want to share what they think of his game please do. If it pisses you off that a Mavericks fan is even on your forum to begin with then also feel free to just ignore me and go about your day.

2. Karolik

Karolik Member

You don't want him as your starting center. His defense is uncenter worthy.

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

First, he will be your starter unless you trade dirk. No one will give you a legit C for Marion. Dalembert aka tha bear can get a couple blocks (1-2) a game maybe, grab 8-10 boards and get points. While the stats appear it's not like he is a force or even something needed to be planned for. He is a decent defender but not going to change the style of your defense.

I forgot how much we payed him, maybe ~2-3 million. He has some leverage against you guys because he know he is your best option, as long as you keep the salary low aka less than 3 mill it will be a decent edition and probably half a win improvement from Kaman

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He's roughly 8pts, 8 boards, and 2 blocks as a starter. He seems like he should be better, but he is very inconsistent. He's a poor starter, but a good backup. Ultimately, you will be disappointed.

5. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Dalembert checks out of games when he was part of this roster. Sometimes you see the effort and think that if this guy had the desire, he'd be close to a double double kind of guy then other nights you wonder where his head is at. Personally, it was kind of frustrating overall not knowing which Dalembert your were getting on a nightly basis.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think at one point Philly gave him like an $80M contract.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It seemed like he regressed as a Rocket. Maybe it was the system. He went to Milwaukee, sat on the bench, but absolutely exploded a few times. You might be better off talking to Milwaukee fans. But I'm not sure there are any Milwaukee fans?

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

8-8-2 sounds right. some nights he goes off big time but mostly he shows up 2/5 games.

9. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

Hah, ya I did ask them as well. I am getting about the same responses from them about what type of player he is.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

with the way Dallas cap is. it looks like he ll start for you guys. no good 5s are out. I also read that Dallas is not going after Harris anymore so that means Dallas is making a push for ELlis

11. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

If you are talking about Devin Harris then I believe that report was mistaken. Devin Harris is almost a for sure thing. Ellis would be good because the Mavs need a second scorer other than Dirk, but also we have to many gaurds on our team as is and can you imagine how bad our defense would be with Dirk, Calderone, and Ellis on the floor together without a defensive center behind all of them to clean their mess up?

12. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

WOW, nice to see a Dallas fan come in with such and respectful manner and be treated with respect in return. No trolling comments or hate bashing.

I am proud of my fellow H-Town brethren. You were courteous and responded intelligently. Nice job all around. If all would inspire to be so, we would have an even better forum than the elite forum we currently have.

Go Rockets!

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Dalembert was an iron man hardly got injured in his career. Then last 2 seasons he's had injuries and missed time. Not a good sign showing some wear with age maybe.

Dalembert has the most nicest rebounding and blocks stats of ANY center EVER (really). You'd think Dikembe Mutombo/Ben Wallace type defensive presence, but actual effect is FAR less than that. And you can see why by looking at him - Tries to get involved in offense sometimes though he doesnt have the polished skills. Inconsistent effort and focus. He'll beast for 2 games and be mediocre/average next 3-5.

If you look at him as average instead of trying to figure out why he isnt better, overall he's a serviceable center and won't hurt the team. Now that he's had his paydays he might even be one of those vet bargains now.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he's a solid center.... when he wants to be.

very inconsistent

15. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

Really do appreciate all the comments. It is always good to hear opinions from fans of other teams who really know the player. Also good to get real responses and this not turn into a "Mavs are going to suck this year" thread lol. No need to state the obvious. I will end with this. As much as the Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs might all have state rivalries, we have all won our titles based around very unselfish superstars and hopefully even if we "hate" each other we at the very least respect each other.

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Tim Duncan

16. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

Well said. Peace Brother until game time! :grin:

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He should take the minimum in Miami or OKC.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's not terrible, seems like a nice guy but really seems to take plays off. He can go off like others have said. Not a bad option but I wouldn't depend on him to do much more than score 9 points or so with 7 boards and a block or so at this point in his career.

19. NotChandlerParsons

He's going to come into the season fat, will have a couple times when he looks like an all-NBA center and ultimately probably disappoint. Although perhaps Carlisle can integrate him better defensively than McHale did. He's a good shot blocker but likes to leave good players to block shots and doesn't have the recovery ability of say Serge Ibaka.

20. k-money

k-money Member

Why did you sign up for a rockets board if your a mavs fan?