1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stat of the Night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let Tjones get the backup 4 minutes, drop Smith down to backup 5. Was clear Asik needed a breather here and there plus Jones is more active. There's nothing Smith does that I can't see Jones doing (and maybe better).

2. Classic

Classic Member

Yeah, it was during this 3 min stretch that I wondered why TJones wasn't in there. With two bad outings in a row, his earned PT from earlier in the year is expired. I'd expect to see TJones play game 3.

Variance and all.

3. BayMind

BayMind Rookie

McHale is a terrible coach, he's like Vinny Del Nego

The Rockets lost a 0-13 run after first Lin got hurt, then Beverly picked up 2 fouls in 5 seconds and got benched.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'll have to go back and re-watch, but i think this is more indicitative of the minutes he played when Brooks came in and the Thunder went on a huge run. Lots of turnovers, and team defensive lapses during this stretch.

Kinda why the +/- is a flawed stat. Your numbers can be skewed by the other people you share your rotation minutes with both from a positive and a negative standpoint.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What the hell did McHale have to do with Brooks conducting 3 terrible offensive possessions in a row? Also was he supposed to risk Beverley not being able to play down the stretch if he fouled out at the beginning of the 4th? Im ok with people criticizing McHale, but give some context to your criticism dude.

6. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Wow, I'm definitely shocked by this stat. One of my main complaints while watching was the inability to box out the Thunder allowing them to get offensive boards. I have to go check the box score....

Holy hell, it's right.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I like Djones ability to recover quickly and get a block or rebound. Greg is a back up to Asik, period, starting him next Asik doesn't make sense against the athletic OKC...

Last night we went to a similiar lineup the Heat use to beat them last year. But Carlos isn't Battier on bball IQ or defense.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

Kendrick Perkins is not a dirty player. He is a rough player, but not dirty. Bill Lambieer is a dirty player. John Stockton is a dirty player.

9. r0Xsh0w

r0Xsh0w Member

you *never go FULL r****d.

10. r0Xsh0w

r0Xsh0w Member

this.....

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That was part of it... if I recall correctly, taking Asik out was really the culprit. After Asik got blocked two times at the rim, he was taken out, presumably for more offense. He was doing great on the D side... the coaching yesterday was perfect except for this one instance IMO. I know Asik can't play 48m, but I would have liked for him to stay in and only taken out when Collison and some of their bench came in.

Brooks was definitely part of the problem (I said at least 4pts) especially for that airball at the rim (we have been doing great passing and moving so I didn't like him taking it to the rim himself here) but more for that botched play right after the 1st or 2nd timeout during the Thunder's run. You could see Harden directing Brooks what to do and when he finally did it, it was a careless TO. NOT acceptable after a timeout where you are trying to stop a run.

Still.. I can't be any happier at a lost. Our future looks bright.

12. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

TJones would be a better matchup on Ibaka in my opinion. Plus he provides more offense and energy. He should definitely get more time.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Yeah, I think you and McHale are on the same page as far as not playing Smith and Asik at the same time. The stats are making me question whether we should be playing Smith at all....

I know the +/- stat might have his flaws, but Smith sticks out like crazy in that box score. Yes, Brooks didn't have the best 4 minutes a player could have, but that's 4 minutes. Smith had 10 more minutes where he can't use that excuse.

Watch him go off for a 20-10 next game. That will show the quality of my analysis..... ;)

14. oakdogg

I think you're right on defense and battling for the boards. But I'm in agreement with posters who say we need that stretch 4 on offense. Wouldn't be opposed at all to playing TJones at the 5 if that's what you're suggesting.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i think even most staunch mchale haters would agree last night was pretty decent job from him. lost his starting pg and kept it really close.

greg smith is his only questionable decision, thus i hope to see Tjones in game 3.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Plus-Minus is the most misleading stat in sports!

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

True, if you watched the game last night, Smith did a pretty good job. He had some bad fouls, but he went 3-3 on field goals and got 5 rebounds. To me, that is a whole lot better production then we got from Delfino who had 35 minutes.

Heck, no one seems bothered by Harden usually leading the team in turnovers every night or his field goal percentage being crap.

18. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I think we might be in for some Terrence Jones at C minutes.

19. oakdogg

Good call. TJones played a great game IMO, all things considered. Made a few things happen, but played within himself. Don't know why he didn't get minutes until the very, very end of the season.

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

He got minutes early on in the season, during a period where Patterson or/and Smith was hurt but he played really badly. So they sent him to the D-League and brought him back toward the end when Motiejunas and Robinson weren't responding as well as they wanted.