1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 3/29/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 29, 2013.

1. muas2010

muas2010 Member

That shouldn't be a knock on Lin, or the person guarding Conley, this just means someone was not guarding his man. If Conley was torching Lin left and right in points, like what Randolp/Marc did all night long then yes.

2. OpportunityCost

Also, he's still young, and I am sure it is a tough balancing act for him. Being our offensive engine and also making sure teammates are involved. I think once he matures and grows in this role he will get even better at it.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden's role as a scorer is very different than Duncan/Gasol. Harden is expected to create against defensive pressure much more. The threat of him scoring is mainly what causes defenses to sink in a create openings for teammates. A lot of the passes Duncan and Gasol make are due to good off-the-ball movement by teammates.

4. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

But he does take lots of shots. When you get fouled it doesn't count as a shot attempt. Most of the time his teammates stand around watching him because they know the chance of them getting the ball is slim so why put out the effort. This works against average teams but will not work in the playoffs. It is not a good strategy to build a team on.

5. instar

instar Member

Conley consistently requires double. someone is open. our rotation is slow. open man knocks it down. happened all night.

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Not entirely but I don't really think you can say it's good defense either. Conley wasn't looking to score he set a good tempo for his team and had a good move or two on Lin.

7. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

are the post-game interviews posted... i'm dying over here

8. durvasa

I'm accounting him getting fouled when I say he doesn't take a lot of shot attempts. That's what TS% does.

Also, him getting fouled helps the team. It puts the other team in foul trouble, and he's an 86% foul shooter.

9. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

You mean by Clutch? It wasn't a home game.

10. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Agreed. But when you have two guys like Randolph and Marc to work with in the post good things can happen. I'm sure in time DMo and Asik will get there but still....Asik is there in turns of rebounding but not offensively.

1 person likes this.
  11. Habs

Habs Member

WTF do you think Duncan does for the Spurs when he draws doubles/triples?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJ5rOfSxDM

12. Exel

Exel Member

Lin played average D against Conley, who he was matched up against the entire time he was on the floor only allowing 8 points and 8 assists.

Unfortunately, Harden had a rougher time. He guarded Allen and Bayless, when Memphis ran a backcourt of Conley and Balyess in the second quarter, and they scored 14 and 6 respectively on him.

13. muhaha

muhaha Member

Proving a point this way does more damage than good. Negative engery is contagious. Carrot is better than the stick in this case

Also how can u expect effort when you run them to the ground for the past few months

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I hate Harden's "fake" contest shots. The kind where he plays too far off of his man and always end up just swatting air. I don't think any defender feels pressure from those type of contests.

15. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

boo.

guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow

16. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Agree and disagree. The foul shots help the team in the short term but hurt them in the long run. When you are wide open time after time and James goes 1 on 5 you become frustrated. When the refs are not calling fouls you lose the ball. The biggest problem is that James is not learning to hit the open man.

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

Anyone tired of seeing Harden try to draw fouls on jumpshots on smarter defenders? They never bite for the fake and he always makes the shot 10x harder than if he had just shot it normally.

18. zilches

zilches Member

With the exception of Lin, McHale has never been the slightest bit concerned about resting anyone. He has publicly stated that the players should be able to compete with energy on a back-to-back. Where did this sudden burst of illumination come from?

''A nine-point, 10-point lead with a team like Houston is nothing,'' Memphis coach Lionel Hollins said of playing his starters until the end. ''They hit three 3s, and they're back in the game.

''I wasn't taking them out until I was sure we had the win. . I never want to take guys out and lose a game because I took them out too early. I would rather take them out too late.''

19. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Yeah - we agree for once.

20. durvasa

How is a video of Duncan in 2003 relevant here? Duncan and Gasol, in the present day, are not dominant low post players passing out of double/triple teams. They mostly facilitate from the elbow, taking advantage of good off-the-ball movement of teammates. Harden has a very different offensive role.