1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

From what I've seen, it's a really good channel that covers Houston sports in real detail. That said, it's not worth switching to Comcast for.

2. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I can't believe we are this far into the season that we STILL don't have any deal in sight. We can help pay for our beloved Houston teams venues, but we can't watch it... just doesn't make sense.

3. Prince

Prince Member

No way Comcast.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This happened in San Diego with the Padres having their games on a Cox channel, and it basically went on for 10 years up to last year with the courts getting involved having to force Cox to agree to sell it to DirecTV, etc at a reasonable price. After that came down, Cox let the channel go to a new Fox Sports San Diego, which is now on most carriers.

The whole play was for Cox to get as many subscribers as they could while they could monopolize that channel, and I am sure Comcast is doing the same. Hate to say it, but I don't think this gets resolved easily or quickly because Comcast has absolutely no motivation to do it.

The only plus side is that the Rockets and Astros have a large enough stake in the channel to make an impact, and the longer they go with most of the city not being able to watch the games, the less and less interest the teams will generate in the city. That is just bad business long term.

Considering I have a Slingbox at my parents house in Houston (DirecTV), they need to get this figured out ASAP, but I am not holding my breath.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

As i've said before, I would never go back to comcast, sorry service and reliability and even worse customer service, if you even want to call it that

The ones to blame for this though, are Drayton, Jim and Les. They are the ones who sold the rights to comcast without deals in place to make sure the fan base could watch. Comcast bought the rights and now can wait out the other providers, who will either cave to their demands which will mean big bucks for comcast, or customers will trickle on over to comcast for their service...Drayton, Jim and Les are the ones that should care about the fan base being able to watch. Obviously Drayton got his cash and is gone, Crane has made it clear he isn't really interested in what the fans think about him or his franchise, and Les sold us out...at least Les keeps his damn mouth shut

1 person likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I heard the new Comcast commercial today. You've to be kidding me. Blatant BS. I love when he mentions how we can help. Glad to help billion dollar enterprises buddy!

7. The Beard

Yep, it's full of BS and lies. Not only that, but they are ripping on Dish/Directv/Uverse, the exact people they should be negotiating with to get a deal done. Not sure how talking crap about those companies is going to make those companies negotiate a deal

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Exactly.

9. Nero

Nero Member

Let me clarify this question, because I don't think I was specific enough:

If we go ahead and buy League Pass for the $29 for the rest of the season (and presumably the playoffs), are you saying we STILL can't even watch the ARCHIVED games either?

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in this monstrosity, but does anyone know when the current contract for FSN Houston expires for the various providers (I am on Dish)?

I think that the providers should be able to get out of the FSN deal since the station is no longer providing the programming it was when the contract was agreed upon. But if that isn't possible for whatever reason, I understand them not wanting to essentially pay double the price for Astros and Rockets games as they did last year since they would be having to carry the additional CSN channel (instead of just swapping FSN for CSN). So I could see them waiting for the expiration of the FSN contract before even considering CSN.

11. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

From what I understand, there is no FSN Houston anymore. It was partially absorbed into Fox Sports Southwest

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Show your evidence.

http://www.directv.com/sports/sports_pack

Just for one example, here's DirecTV's offerings, available basically anywhere. You'll see quite a few Comcast SportsNet affiliates. Same goes for UVerse, Dish and basically any other major provider. There's absolutely zero correlation between the "Comcast SportsNet" name and why deals haven't been struck.

13. conquistador#11

(garm mode on) Got eses trying to jack me in the wrong side of town and this chic is worried about some rockets games! gtfo! go back to rice!

(garm mode off) I'm glad someone is speaking up for us fans. in the radio world, it's charlie p who stands with us fans. the campaigns by comcast insult our intelligence. It's a sad situation when espen has given us more houston games =/

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is probably correct as I do get Fox Southwest, though I haven't watched it since the end of the Astros season last year. So my provider is still carrying an FSN channel that they are no doubt paying to carry. I remember a few years ago when I missed the beginning of the Rockets season while they were negotiating a new deal. So my question would remain the same: when does the FSN contract expire with Direct and Dish for viewers in the Houston region?

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

wrong thread.

16. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

They had a similar stalemate with the YES network a few years ago. Local government officials had to mediate. If it happened in New York, and is happening in San Diego, it isn't inconceivable to think that it would happen here.

17. The Cat

It's not inconceivable. I just think those two markets are more insulated. San Diego doesn't have that much geographic reach, period, before you hit LA... and the Yankees are the Yankees. They're not threatened by anything. For the Astros, this is a really delicate time from a branding standpoint, particularly with the success of the Rangers the past three years. I'd be surprised if they were willing to take that gamble. They certainly could, but I think it's really risky.

18. The Beard

You need to get to bed man, you probably have some Xfinity service to install for people in the morning

19. The Cat

LOL. Too bad I've never even had Comcast. Nice diversion tactic, though.

20. The Beard

The game that you got to watch is over man, go to sleep, lot to do in the morning mr comcast