1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This appears to be as huge topic as there are a variety of ways one can accomplish the task of shaving. I am interested because I not only shave my face by my head as well. I've seen some interesting commentary on everything from safety razor, straight blades and the regular Gillettes and Schicks you buy at the store.

I've become interested in the use of non-conventional shaving methods, shaving soaps and safety or straight blade razors. I'm also interested in how others

1. Preparation: What do you do in order to prepare the area(s) you plan to shave?
    2. Lubrication: What do you use? Shaving soap and brush, cream, gel, oils or something else?
    3. Razors: Store bought, safety razor, straight blade, clippers?
    4. Aftercare: Aftershave, cold press, nothing?

Any tips for moving from the standard shaving to some that's a little different?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Garner

Garner Member

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

magic shave

5. Lil Pun

Swoly obviously stalks me. ;)

6. Lil Pun

I've bought that stuff before but never could get it to work right. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

7. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Magic Shave is stupid... Shave Secret is the way to go.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Go to the art of shaving and get a straight razor and let them teach you how to shave your damn faces.

9. lean

lean Member

I haven't shaved since we traded for Harden, may never shave again...

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Dollar shave club. Will it help make your little D bigger? No. Will it make you feel better about your little D? No.

1 person likes this.
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I switched to using a safety razor just over a year ago. I like it. I can get a much closer shave than I could with cartridge razors. There's a much larger variety of double edge razor blades than there are cartridge razors, so you can find something that works really well for your beard and skin. After the initial investment of buying the brush and razor and finding the right blades, it becomes a lot cheaper than using cartridge razors too. A tub of shaving cream lasts me 6 months and for my preferred razor blades, I can buy 100 for a little over $9 and that will last me a year.

No real prep. I shave after I take my shower so my face is clean and facial hair is soft. I use a brush and the old kind of shaving cream and make my own lather. I use "Art of Shaving" brand cream, a Merkur 23C razor, and Astra razor blades. After I shave and wash my face, I rub an alum block over it. That closes all the little nicks that may not bleed but could cause irritation and it also tightens and tones the skin. After that I use Neutrogena Post Shave lotion.

12. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

How many shaves a week?

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm kind of lazy and only shave about 4 of 5 times a week. One blade gives me 3 shaves (2 passes each shave, with grain/against grain), so my 100 pack (20 boxes of 5) of blades lasts 300 shaves.

14. IVFL

IVFL Member

I have started to use a pre shave cream that i get from E barbershop. I was a bit skeptical but they had sent me a small tub when I ordered some after shave. I really like it, but it is a bit spendy so I only use it when it has been a few days between shaves.

I went to the safety razor about 3 years ago and have not looked back. I like that I can try several different blades to see what works best for me. Currently I am using Persona razor blades, the run about $13 for 100 blades. Plus they are made in the USA which is a nice perk. If you are unsure you can get a cheap safety razor for around 15 bucks, less than a cartridge razor.

I have been Poraso shaving cream that I mix myself with a badger hair brush. Its well worth it.

For my after shave I use a lotion when there is less humidity and usually pinaub bay rum when there is more humidity in the air.

I used to just buy the cheapest cartridge razor and make it last as long as possible. Then I realized that I was putting a sharp razor to my face and probably should take it a little serious. Good luck finding what works for you, hope this helps.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I shave my head and face everyday with a Mach 3 in the shower. A little shaving gel pre shave and then an aftershave and lotion. I use each cartridge well past the time they probably are supposed to last but they seem to work just fine.

I've been interested in trying straight razors or safety razors but this takes so little time I haven't bothered yet.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

17. Lil Pun

The Art of Shaving is actually great. Went there when I was in Vegas last year. They didn't teach me how to do it though, just tips to make the process better.

18. Lil Pun

Is there a big difference between cartridge and safety? Anything you must do differently?

19. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

QFT. The Total Shaving Solution is the same thing, just a lot more expensive. Been using Save Secret for about 7 years now and I'd never go back to shaving cream.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I use the art of shaving line. There are better ones, but it's easy to get, and folks often get me gift cards or shaving supplies from there as gifts.

I shave after a hot shower and hot water facial rub.

Then I don't dry it at all and use the pre-shave. That allows the razor to move smoothly and not skip as it catches on whiskers.

Then I soak my brush in hot water, splatter some of the water out, and use a small amount of shaving cream directly applied to the brush. I use the brush to apply the shaving cream to my face.

Then I use a straight razor. If it's the weekend I'll do two passes with the straight razor, and that is the ultimate for close shaving. If it's during the week, I'll do one pass with the straight razor, and if there are tough spots like right under my lip, or my chin, or the left side of my mouth, I'll use a regular gillette mach 3 to just touch up those areas. That's because of time constraints.

My favorite shave is the weekends or holidays when I can do two passes or even three with the straight razor. It does take a long time because you apply hot water again, the pre shave again, and the shaving lotion again.

After the shave is over, I'll rinse with as cold of water as possible. Then I'll use the after shave balm, and clean my blade. I've reduced my ingrown hairs to almost zero, get a closer shave than I used to, and I'm still getting better after several months with a straight razor. It's fun, and can be like its own form of meditation in a way.

I shave every other day.

Every once in a while I'll go to the Art of Shaving and get a royal shave. That's the best. Feels so good and relaxing.