1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball hoop recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by paikj83, Feb 25, 2013.

1. paikj83

paikj83 Contributing Member

Tried searching for any previous threads, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps my searching methods need refinement.

In either case, I'm looking to purchase a basketball hoop for my church. I'm still in the midst of research, but would welcome any suggestions from here as well.

I'm looking at a budget of $300 to $500. I'm still debating whether to get just 1 or to go for 2. It would mostly depend on what the difference in quality might end up being. i.e. Would 2 $250-300 hoops be of similar quality to 1 $500 hoop? If 2 hoops are a possibility, I'd also be open to having 1 in-ground and 1 portable.

I also see that the choice in material is usually between acrylic and polycarbonate. How well would these materials hold up to the elements? My church is in Connecticut, so we'll see all kinds of weather throughout the year.

Anything else I might need to look into?

2. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I haven't researched the topic much recently, but if I were buying one for myself I would want something like this:
    http://www.produnkhoops.com/locations/connecticut.html

Of course that is a good ways out of the budget range you are looking at, but would probably last a life time and a pro style model has full clearance for the baseline to reduce chances of running into the pole, where many store models only give you 2-3 feet on the extension. Outside of cost concerns it depends on how serious the games are going to be as whether the better quality would be worth it. But it is rated to stand up to harsh climates and has a limted life time warranty.

1 person likes this.
  3. arjun

arjun Member

goalrilla

4. paikj83

Thanks for the suggestions. They are way out of our price range, though.

The games won't be too serious. It's mostly for the kids to shoot around.

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Hey Man. My bro in law just bought my kids a Lifetime goal. 54 inches from amazon for about 300 bucks. I am waiting for the concrete to cure before we finish the top part.

Academy wanted 300 or 400 to install the goal. Plus the price of the goal. We did the hardest part and it has been a breeze.

Hire a gardener to dig the hole. It is hard work but he will have real precision with making it a cylinder rather than just a big pit. This was a huge time saver and worth the 25.

But 4 inch by 1/2 boards and make a nice box to frame the concrete so it looks professional. Costs 10 bucks but makes a huge difference. DRILL PILOT HOLES!

We used 11 bags of 80lb concrete to do the base. Most of the extra was used because of the box we made to make it look nice. Directions called for 6. I thought about renting a mixer for 40 bucks but all you need is a wheelbarrow which I had. Oh and this was new to me. Wow, concrete excretes a lot of water. I thought we were doing somethinh wrong but just like the internet shays the water will rise and then evaporate. We scopped it out to resue in the next batch.

Honestly we have no experience but it was easy. Follow directions, use a level, follow directions, have a friend help, follow directions and you will be okay.

This is the one we got. I will follow up when I find someone to help me finish the assembly.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-7152...words=lifetime+54+in-ground+basketball+system
    [​IMG]

#5 BigSherv, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. JD88

JD88 Member

I used to install basketball goals (among other things). First team seems to hold up the best, although goalrilla seems to be the bigger name.

Don't pay for the install, do it yourself. Its not hard

1 person likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

"Here comes little Nikko"

1 person likes this.
  9. paikj83

We actually used the rim of a plant holder, some cardboard, and some duct tape. Didn't last too long. :p

Thanks for the info, guys. Cost-wise, it looks like the Lifetime goal fits our budget best.