1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Combo Guard could the Rockets Target at the Deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Who says Bledsoe will be a bench player and who says he would have a say in the matter anyway? If the rockets "trade" for him, they can do whatever they want. Brooks (at his best) and Lowry coexisted for a couple of seasons ...so can Lin and Bledsoe.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I like George Hill, but I'm not really sure how exactly to get him.

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

point-forwards > combo guards.

a combo guard is just a SG stuck in a PG's body.

4. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

this is the main point of contention. harden needs to be an elite finisher, not a facilitator of any kind. the best example that i can come up with is this: imagine if the rox sign CP3, do you still want harden to have the ball? does cp-friggin-3 stand in the corner to spot 3s?

now im not saying lin = cp3. what im sayin is that the team needs roles, and the offense has to be designed with these roles, and the players have to play these roles. anything else is hero ball plain and simple. now if the coaches like hero ball and want hero ball, then lord help this team...

5. nickg

nickg Member

Unfortunately, your post fell apart rather quickly. I think he was asking for Lin to be more involved in the offense rather than sporting up for 3s ( which he is terrible and part of the reason he was struggling ). Also, harden is not on a kd/lebron/kobe level. Probably not even Melo. That's ridiculous. Also, I believe westbrooks usage rate is considerably higher that. I don't think his game has struggled much.

I don't think Lin should be used more than harden, that is also ridiculous. But the balance should be similar to Westbrook/durant, and Lin should control the ball more than he has ( again, this is why he was struggling ). Morey signed him to that contract ( it wasn't ridiculous) at a time where he was likely going to be the #1 option, or at least 1A with martin. Things changed with harden.

Lin is a stereotypical pg, wtf do you mean dude. Other than the fact that he can't hit a three, he is a ball dominant pg. You know, like most are, unless they are on a team with a ball dominant wing ( Mario Chalmers, any point guard for the Lakers with Kobe ). You really need to think before you post. Its cool that you regurgitate whatever the hell some other clueless windbag posts, but at least think about it before you hit submit. Most of that **** only makes sense if you are looking at box scores and not watching the games.

Lin and harden will be fine when as time goes on. Lin will probably control the ball more and more, mainly because things get easier when harden doesn't have to do everything ****ing thing himself. He's still the star, and he's going to get his shots, doesn't mean you can't put a dynamic pg on the floor with him.

Also, I would like to know when an ISO centered offense last won a title. Leborn tried it in Cleveland for a while, that **** didn't work. Kobe was never successful by himself either. No one is saying harden can't score from ISO, or that he's not better than Lin. There are much more efficient ways to run an offense though.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i would trade tony douglas, james anderson, and patrick patterson in a heartbeart if i could get Marshon Brooks and Reggie Evans in Return.

the 30 milliona dollar deal is what's getting lin special treatment as far as minutes.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lof spotted

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Do you think Maynor could be available?

9. buckeyebob

buckeyebob New Member

Wilson Chandler. Young, good D, can play 2-3-4. probably available.

10. S_Marley21

S_Marley21 New Member

Get Tyreke!!!

11. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Why is that ridiculous? BC he's the most efficient scorer out of all of those names? or that he has the most points per possession in the pick n roll out of anyone in the league? Just bc he scores in different ways doesnt mean he's worse. 2 points is 2 points. dunks and layups are worth the same.

First off the Westbrook/Durant pairing is completely uncomparable to our back court. Westbrook is and always will be miles ahead of Lin. and Durant is the best offensive player in the game, so Harden cant match that. Durant is also not as good of a ball handler and passer as Harden, so obviously westbrook controls the ball more on that team.

I agree, you could say Lin's contract wasnt ridiculous at the time. we needed someone as the face, and we overpaid a bit for it. but since the money was similar to Dragic, i think that is why many people are upset about it. bc this team would be WAY better with Dragic instead of Lin, i dont think that is even arguable.

Thats what a stereotypical pg does. make 3s. oh and he cant play defense at all. which is another trait you would want in a pg, especially with harden next to him, who doesnt give any effort on D.

Wow, dude i havent missed a single game in 4 years. I watch an insane amount of NBA games. saying my posts are clueless is just ignorant. Obviously i think before i post way more than u. you have 400+ posts in like 7 months, i have only 200 in 4 years and im on here every day.

I agree that Lin needs the ball in his hands more when he is on the floor, but everything ive been sayin has been based on what the coaches have been doing, and that is give the ball to james, and if they stick with that Lin is not an ideal pairing. which is all ive been saying the whole time.

It like never happens, i know. again, not saying its what i want, but it's what McHale has chosen to do.

Also, calm down on the cursing dude, you are just using them as adjectives and its pointless. clean it up

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

tony allen..

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think this offseason, if were to dump a guy like Patterson or Lin to free up more cap room, it might be worthwhile to evaluate OJ Mayo.

While not a true PG, he could certainly dribble the ball up the court and pass it off to Harden to make the plays and then spot up for threes. He has some handles as well if the plays break down.

Spending maybe 8 million a year on him, and maybe a sign and trade of Milsap or Smith to Houston for Smith would be a pretty solid lineup.

Mayo / Llull
    Harden
    Parsons / Morris
    Milsap (J.Smith) / Jones
    Asik / G.Smith

I really wish we had a legit post guy to run the offense through. Mayo, Harden and Morris on the wings bombing open threes would be amazing.

14. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Why would you do a sign and trade for Paul Milsap or Josh Smith when you have the cap space (or can create the cap space) to sign them directly? It's like people keep ignoring that last summer's rules don't apply anymore. New draconian sign and trade rules kick in this summer.

And Lull is never coming over. He just signed a new long term contract overseas

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Under my scenario, you would be paying Mayo 8 million and you would not have the cap space for Milsap or Smith, at a fair deal, without the assistance of a sign and trade mechanism.

You seem to be confused about new CBA rules. SnT's still exist and are mostly the same as before except for the % raise advantage gone (not used in this scenario) and the inability of teams operating over the apron to use them (Houston, Atlanta, and Utah are all under the cap in this scenario).

And you might want to read here regarding Llull:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=225667&page=6

And while I don't have a link, I believe Gersson Rosas, said that we will likely see him next year.

I accept your apology.

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

JJ Reddick, but he won't be cheap

17. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Under your scenario, some cap space is created via the salary dump of Lin. Further, more cap space is generated via taking Patterson off the roster. Note that I stated " when you have the cap space (or can create the cap space)." If you intend to create cap space via taking Patterson out of the roster, you can probably do it for assets like trading him away for picks or for unguaranteed or small contracts that can be cut. That would allow you to get something back for Patterson and still be able to sign them with free cap space, instead of losing assets in a SnT.

Further, nowhere did I say I say that SnT will no longer exist, just that new draconian rules will be in effect. I'm fully conversant with all the nuances and changes in those new rules. And they extend further than the changes you listed. For one thing, it hard caps you to the apron and limits your further trading options and flexibility for the rest of next season. And the inability to use them extends beyond teams over the apron, since even teams under the apron are excluded if they will end up over the apron as a result. Also excluded are teams that use up their non-taxpayer MLE. And there are further potential cap ramifications as a result of the subsequent hardcapping that can remove or limit a team's ability to avail themselves of other exceptions such as the bi-annual exceptions, MLE's, TPEs, and bird rights for other players.

If you don't need to do a S&T, you don't do it. And even if you do need to do it, you think twice about it due to the draconian new rules. The changes go further than those listed by you, and you seem to be confused.

I accept your apology.

1 person likes this.
  18. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Oh, and as for Llull, he's not coming. He signed a new long term contract when given the option of coming to Houston instead. Basically an F.U. to Morey. Llull wants to be a small fish in a big pond. Morey subsequently tweeted positive things about him, etc., probably as a way to boost his trade value. If there's zero chance of him coming over, the trade value of his draft rights goes to zero. If Morey can generate any uncertainty and leave any little wiggle room of doubt that he might still come over, perhaps those draft rights can still retain some value and be used in a trade throw in. Gersson Rosas was probably responding to those tweets.

Signing a new 6yr contract when given a choice between coming over or not, means he's not coming over.

19. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I don't know where you get that fact from...You comparing Dragic from last year to Lin this year? How's Dragic doing this year? Dragic this year struggles to fit in that Pheonix team, and this Rockets team is completely different from last year as well. Make sure you have facts to back up what you say.

Again, do you have any facts to back up what you saying?

20. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Big fish in a small, pond rather.