1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows XP?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by returningfan, Jan 13, 2013.

1. returningfan

returningfan Member

I have been using XP until this past week when it finally ran out of disc space and stopped running.

I was given a computer with Vista - and I hate it.

What is the deal with XP and no support starting April 2014?

I am considering having my computer guy do something with my old computer
    (Dell Inspiron 600m laptop). That computer and XP was so easy for me to use.

The computer was running fine. To go back to XP on it means what? Replacing the hard drive? I am a computer dumb dumb so don't know what to ask.

If it is only replacing the hard drive - what does the hard drive cost - and how difficult/time consuming to install?

If that can be done - then what happens in 2014 with no support? What does that mean?

Thanks.

2. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

The actual hardware fix is simple, just put in a bigger hard drive, it should cost less than a $100. Support wise it is what it is, I don't know what kind of support you need, if you could clarify that would be good.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My work computer uses XP, my primary home computer runs Vista, and I have a laptop that runs Win 7.

I can't understand the b****ing about Vista -- I've never had a single major problem with it.

I bet that MS extends support for XP for businesses, but for home use just like Win 2k they have to cut support at some point.

4. returningfan

returningfan Member

Tks - I don't even know what "support" means?

After April 2014 what would I not have that I might need?

I don't do anything fancy online. Email, search engines, forum discussions, order from Amazon etc.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's like a jockstrap for computers.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A manzier if you will...

For a couple hundred bucks, you can get a Windows 7 computer that will do the same stuff you do now, and maybe faster.

From what I remember about Vista, the UI was too different while they removed a lot of features from XP without explaining how it was replaced. Aero wasn't as slick and instability issues plagued the initial build with BSODs. That was like 8 years ago, so I might be hazy on the details...

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Windows XP launched in October 2001 dude.... progress with the rest of us. Or do you still use one of these?

[​IMG]

Hell, Windows Vista has been out since January 2007...

[​IMG]

You do realize that Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company right? For them to create revenue they must improve said software and release new versions. What other product that you've bought have you gotten 13+ years of support at no additional cost? Hell, what other software for that matter?

It's like asking a car manufacturer to just keep producing the same car every single year with a billion mile warranty.

Feel free to continue to use Windows XP, they're not making you stop... you just won't get support and patching for it.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Support means if you have any issues like a computer crash or malfunction, Microsoft will help you fix these problems. after 2014, no luck on that one. You can still use your xp computer after 2014, but if your computer dies you'll have to rely on IT guys

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You should switch to a Linux distribution. The last Windows OS I used was XP, and upon switching to Vista, I immediately switched to Linux and haven't looked back.

10. conquistador#11

I need help with my windows me. I'm kidding.

You can get a nice deal upgrading to windows 7. I have a laptop with windows 8 and find it completely useless. Why would I want my laptop to be like my phone? At least not me, maybe others like it.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Windows 7.

12. Svpernaut

Linux is great for people who are generally cutting edge or early adopters. Do you think a guy who has used the same OS since 2001 is really the key demographic? Linux distros are updated, tweaked and changed for more often then Windows or OS X.

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

I think you should forget about windows xp and go with
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Svpernaut

You do know that Windows 8 can and does function just like Windows 7 right? On my non-touchscreen laptop and my home gaming desktop I'm in classic desktop 95% of the time, which is just like Windows 7. Then if and when I want to use nice apps like ABC Player, KHAN Academy, Netflix, Kindle, etc. I can... but I always have my desktop there to fall back on. The modern UI is simply icing on the cake in a traditional PC setting.

If you're in classic desktop you can still mouse to the bottom left and get to what is now the "start page" rather than a start menu. From there you can simply start typing what you are looking for... or Windows Key + X is your friend. You can cycle through open programs via the top left, view all open windows via middle mouse/scroll, etc.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

don't upgrade you Inspiron 600m to Windows 7. I doubt that machine has enough memory.

Do you not have your original install disk for XP? You might be able to just reinstall XP onto your original HD doing a complete reformat during the install. Your explanation makes it sound like the HD didn't die. You then want to get the last service pack that MS put out.

16. Svpernaut

Just go to ThePirateBay.se and search "Windows XP Professional SP3 (x86) Integrated November 2012." I'm not linking to it, because I'm sure that is frowned upon. If you already own a license, I don't see the harm is downloading a fully updated ISO. This is a fully activated version of Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 patched up until the November 2012 Microsoft monthly patches.

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

or just search for TinyXP on Torrent sites. Seriously, upgrade to at least 7 if your system can handle it. I used to be an XP advocate but since 7 came out, every time I get on an XP machine, all hell breaks loose.

18. heypartner

It's better to use the original Dell install disk, if he has it. Especially since he's not a computer nerd, who will know how to find missing drivers, etc.

19. heypartner

It's highly doubtful his Dell Insprion 600m has enough memory to handle Windows 7.

20. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Vista has a bad reputation because it was super buggy when they released it. But, that problem ceased to exist within 6 months of it's release. I've used XP, Vista, and Win 7 for years and Vista has been more stable in my experience than XP.