1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 154] GSP vs Condit

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by sew, Nov 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=df56043a8061451d89897bbd6ee37d9a&ec=piYjIxNzqYRJIiDH7GzD_8Lxlo1huAXS"></script>

3. sew

sew Member

I love Hendricks, but does anyone really think he can beat GSP?

4. body slam

body slam Member

Hendricks is a wrestler with KO power. So yes i think he has a very good chance.

5. sew

sew Member

GSP handled Koscheck, twice, who is also a div 1 all-american wrestler with good stand up/KO power.

Hendricks has good stand up, but it isn't anything GSP hasn't dealt with before, in fact he just out struck Condit who is arguably the best striker in the WW division.

6. Prince

Prince Member

from your man GSP.

7. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

For his first fight in 18 months GSP looked good. He also probably fought his toughest opponent since maybe his first fight against BJ Penn or his early matches with Matt Hughes. GSP did what he does best. He controlled the standup with his range and jab, and when he felt like it, was able to shoot the double on Condit and take him down with ease. From their he kept him down with the same ease and inflicted damage.

I was suprised just how great GSP's cardio was for such a long cage layoff. He is only gonna get better and should regain his pre knee injury form by his next fight or the one after that at the latest.

I just hope we get GSP v Silva at some point in 2013. Silva only has 2 fights left on his UFC contract and I would suspect after those fights he would be done with the UFC as he is approaching 40. I would like nothing more than to see his next fight be against GSP, and than if he wins that, have his next fight against Bones Jones.

8. Asian Sensation

I've said this before and i'll say it again. I'm a big GSP fan but he has nothing for Anderson Silva. GSP can't even finish guys in his own weight class. Silva is the most prolific finisher the sport has seen. Silva even finished the 3 LHW's he's fought in dominating fashion. He's beaten guys that are bigger, taller, stronger, faster, strike better, have better wrestling, ko power, JJ, takedowns, submissions, stronger chin, etc. than GSP. GSP would be one of the more complete overall opponents Silva has ever faced but even then there's a huge size difference and Silva is just on a whole other level.

Now Anderson vs. Jon Jones is a fight I'd absolutely love to see. Of course Bones is an athletic freak with crazy reach and size advantage but I think Silva would probably KO him a well.

I was never a huge Silva fan and he's not my favorite but he's probably the greatest MMA fighter we'll ever see.

1 person likes this.
  9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hendricks was in a very, very close fight with Koscheck earlier this year. He was barely do anything with his big right so it was a slow and tentative, grind it out type of fight where he got the split decision. I hate MMA math but it's worth considering GSP made Kosheck look like a 1-dimensional in his last fight landing his jabs regularly and absolutely dominated him, on the ground and on the feet.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Ditto, give me Bones v Spider please. Titles, no titles, who cares.

11. Asian Sensation

It sounds cliche and like an easy cop out answer but there couldn't be a more appropriate time to say it.... Hendricks has a punchers chance. I think Hendricks earned #1 contender status but I think he'd get jabbed to death by GSP like many have.

I think Condit would probably defeat Hendricks as well too. Condit is probably the only guy at 170 that could realistically beat GSP but if they were to fight 10 times... GSP beats Condit 7 or 8 times out of the 10 IMO.

GSP is kind of an anomaly to me at 170. He's too good to be dethroned in his division even though he's not a finisher and grinds out wins yet I don't think he's good enough to find success if he were to move up to 185.

I think Rory Mac has the best chance to beat GSP at 170 but they'd never fight.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

they would have to give Silva a dump truck full of money to fight GSP or Jones

he has nothing left to prove, no reason to compromise his GOAT status unless the money is insane

13. sew

sew Member

Silva is already on board for a fight with gsp. Gsp seems a little apprehensive about fighting anderson and I don't blame him.

Also agree with Rory Mac being the likeliest WW to dethrone GSP. IIRC, however, Rory has stated he doesn't want to fight gsp since they're teammates.

14. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Rory will be fighting someone named BJ Penn and this can be an assessment of his skills against GSP. A determined Prodigy is very dangerous. As for the match with Silva, I don't like the fight one bit. It's a mismatch to me. If Silva would ever fight someone, it should be Bones. However, in recent developments, GSP's trainer wants Silva to drop to 170 for them to even consider the fight. Popular opinion wants both fighters to meet at 178 but according to GSP, once he gains weight, it's hard to go back (to 170/WW).

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think Silva would hesitate if he were genuinely offered the fight against GSP. GSP would get wrecked. He's not the same fighter he used to be and he's much smaller.