1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

yeah, it's hilarious when you think about it.
    i don't know what surprised me more, this deal or the Rob Hennigan one.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The Hennigan one was stupid as fukk tho, this one made sense for everyone involved.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

at least everyone expected that Hennigan would sell fast and cheap. Those Brook Lopez rumors lowered expectations, and it was clear they wanted to trade before the camp. Still, it was ridiculous.

This one was completely out of the blue. When it was announced that they were only 1-2 mil / year apart, it seemed like a sure thing they plan to amnesty Perk and keep Harden in the end. And then, boom.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yup, but when you have the choice between Lopez, one of Rocekts rookies, great picks....or Afflalo plus worthless, low future picks...Hennigan must be on some mad ganja.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well its not the first time Ive been wrong about a Houston Rockets trade coming out of left field. Seems like Presti and Morey think similarly when it comes to trades, and really know how to catch people off guard.

My thinking was the logical move to make was to play out the year, try and win it all, and then deal with in next Summer in a number of different ways.

If Im Presti, I would have tried to find a way to move Perkins after this year, or plan on Amnestying him after the season. Presti must hold higher value to Perkins than I do, or ownership has intructed him to not use the amnesty clause on anyone because of the hit to their pocketbooks.

However, whats done is done, and OKC will probably do well with this bounty of assets. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if they found a way to attach those picks with Perkins, and aquire a very nice low post player by February.

Still Kudos to Presti for having the marbles to throw a wrench in the wheels of a team that just made a run in the finals. They might have made the finals again this season, but this move could set themselves up to make the finals not just this year, but for the next 5 or 6 years if Presti play's his cards right.

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

One thing is for sure.. Morey and Presti got balls! :)

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Theoretical trade after Dec 15th

Rockets trade- Cook, Aldrich, future NY 2nd rders, Rights to Llull
    Get- W.Chandler, Mozgov, Andre Miller, Quincy Miller (to d-league)

Bulls trade- Hamilton, future 1st rd pick (top-20 protected)
    Get- 5mil cap space relief, future 2nd from Ny (Hou), rights to llull

Nuggets trade- Chandler, A.Miller, Q. Miller, Mozgov
    Get- Brooks, Hamilton, Cook, NY future second (from Hou), Bulls future 1st

Kings trade- Brooks
    Get- Aldrich

Why?

Houston- use cap space and expiring contracts to start gathering assets again for a trade later on. Chandler and Miller's contracts could end up being gems if they play well. Classic Morey move. No more Douglas running point!

Bulls- They get some space to make moves to improve the team since they are hard capped this season.

Nuggets- All of the big contracts they have will add up really soon especially when the heavy lux tax rules take effect. They need to get rid contracts before they start taking a big luxary tax hits. Brooks will back up Lawson and his contract is relatively cheap and short.

Kings- Get a back-up center for one of the many score-first point guards they have.

Rockets team outlook
    Lin/Miller
    Harden/Delfino
    Parsons/Chandler
    Patterson/Morris/Jones
    Asik/Smith/Mozgov

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

All I know is, if McHale has decided not to play his rookies (three new power forwards on the team and not one of them logged a single minute), then we'd better shore up the PF spot, quick. That was an obvious Achilles' heel last night, even not knowing what Ppat can give us when healthy.

If anyone wants to conjure a solid trade for a starting-level 4, think Utah, think Atlanta (cuz we ain't getting Kevin Love).

9. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Given the current Lakers struggle I can't help to wonder what if they don't gel and flame out in PO. What if Dwight decided he seen enough and decide to sign with the Rockets instead :p

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

No offense, but this is possibly the most unrealistic deal I've ever seen

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

haha. none taken. I was just trying to make a trade in which we could abuse teams that are about to get hit pretty hard by the new luxury tax rules.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Morey isnt trading his valuable expiring contracts...

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

yeah, it might happens nowadays, but it's so hard to predict who's going to be insanely cheap and who else is going to want to abuse these teams too and make better offers to them.

it's easier to judge trades with basketball reasons.

in this trade, all the teams seem to get abused from basketball / assets point of view.
    the Rockets do get nice assets. And they get a better chance to make the playoffs. In fact, i'd consider them favorites for #8 spot if this happened.

But on the other hand, you sacrifice your chance to make a run at a max guy this summer. So long term, I'm not sure if it's a good deal. And your pick gets worse too or even goes to Atlanta.

14. S_Marley21

S_Marley21 New Member

Our best bet for a trade/free agent pick up is Tyreke Evans..(hear me out) He could be our 6th man of the year being able to play PG, SG, SF gives us a talented and young backup at three positions for the price of one and seeing how Sac treats him the asking price would probably be pretty cheap for an all star caliber player who might be able to persuade DMC in joining him!! In a perfect Houston fans world

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Simple upgrade:

Cole Aldrich
    Toney Douglas
    Daequan Cook

for

Jose Calderon

Houston gets a competent, yet expensive backup PG, who is expiring. Makes us better now at little asset cost. Toronto saves 3 million dollars.

Alternatively, we could send cook to any team for a TPE and then just absorb Calderon with our cap space, which allows Douglas/Cole to be moved later in separate deals.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Not bad, but if we're going to take on money, why not just waive Douglas and sign Livingston?
    The Raps also have 15 players under contract, so that might be a issue as well. Giving up only Cook and pretty much all of our cap space for Calderon is a no-no. Need that flexibility.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What do we need 8 million in cap space for at this point?

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

interesting. would Toronto do it for 3 mil? they are focused on making the playoffs.
    also, does Morey want the playoffs so badly?

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Our cap space combined with our expirings (not counting Delfino) totals up to about $15M if I'm not mistaken, which could be needed to match the salaries in a bigger trade down the road. You could also take on a bad contract a team might look to get rid of and add an asset or two to you asset pool that way.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Daequan Cook and a future 1st Round Pick for Timofey Mozgov