1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario Williams blames GM for leaving

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 31, 2012.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It was very clear that the Texans made no effort to keep him around...totally irrelevant to point to him signing immediately after FA started because it was clear that the Texans were not interested. If we were, we could have franchised him.

In any case, it would be silly to boo Mario on Sunday. He should be booing us, not the other way around. We should be cheering he's wearing a Bills jersey.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If they franchised him he would have been making about 18 million this season. I believe the Texans gave him an offer of around 10 million or so(guessing), but Mario knew he could get much more as a FA.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wouldn't boo him, I wouldn't cheer him. I am literally 100% ambivalent about his return.

He's gone and he didn't leave much of a legacy here at all. He'll always be remembered for the draft, but nothing afterwards. His return will get a big shrug of the shoulders from me.

This isn't exactly Hakeem returning to the Summit as a Raptor...

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, Mario. It's pretty much inconsequential as you can see from the performance of the team since you got injured (again) last season. So...we don't care that you're gone. We think it's pretty damn funny that the Bills gave you that contract and you've not come anywhere near living up to it.

I have no reason to boo him and neither should anyone else. He did well for the Texans and is now some other highly overpaid problem of another team. I don't wish any ill will towards him. In fact, booing him only says that we give a s*** that he left.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think he was being double teamed.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont think anyone could blame him for taking 100 million over 10 million.

For anyone that feels it necessary to boo him, that's pretty pathetic.

What's important here is that the Texans made the choice to move forward without him...and we are all better off because of it, Mario included.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

? How do you figure that? They went a painful route trying to clear the decks to retain both Mario and Arian (Myers would have been another casualty in that case). Ben Dogra (agent) was in charge by Mario's own admission and had absolutely zero intent on offering the Texans a discount (a la Arian Foster). The ONLY way Texans were keeping Mario was releasing Foster and Myers (and everyone else) and giving Williams $90-$100M.

The Texans knew good and well that Mario was not willing to resign at the dollars they had available. Dubious to argue that they should have done more (lost Foster and Myers).

They went straight to Buffalo, got their mega-offer, and kept the Bills waiting for several days as Dorga tried to get matching bids from other teams to no avail.

Throughout the affair, I've harbored no grudges that he wanted to cash in. It's his right and privilege. I can't say I respect the way he's trying to pretend this wasn't what he wanted, however. But that's the story of his season - he's been shameless in the excuse department.

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I think we should all feel extremely sorry for Mario.

Maybe the Bills can chip in another 40-50 million in case the fans boo him at a sporting event because that is cruel and unusual, think of his feelings, think of the children. I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT FOR SOME ODD-REASON IF YOU BOO MARIO.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Where does Winston say he'd take a pay cut?

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

It's right there, the bolded text.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sounds like he's been getting hate from local fans, who think he turned down houston to go to Buffalo...

I can see why he'd feel the need to clear it up, but it was a pretty simple business decision to make. Made sense for both sides. Unfortunately, so many fans forget it's a business first.

12. justtxyank

I think he's being disingenuous. Yes, he's probably telling the truth when he says he didn't want to enter free agency. He wanted to be a Texan. He wanted to get Buffalo's contract from the Texans though. I'm sure Rick Smith did basically make it clear they couldn't keep him once dollars got discussed.

13. Nero

Nero Member

Sorry Mario, you helped us dodge a major bullet by leaving. Your production will never match your price tag. You were a good guy, a decent player, and as far as I know, an upstanding citizen.

But for all your size and strength, you should be a holy terror on the football field, and you simply are not. It's apparently just not in your character.

And that's fine, but you shouldn't be running around buying your own koolaid, because we are all aware of what it tastes like, and believe me it tastes much better now that you are in Buffalo.

To quote Kevin Bacon in Tremors: 'I don't care what he's doin', as long as he's doin' it wayyy over there.'

14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Thanks, Mario...but we'll take the high-motor defensive line with the reasonable contracts. Sour grapes aren't welcome here.

15. NickLewis

NickLewis Member

It doesn't say anywhere that he would lol

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If the Bills were 6-1 and Texans 3-4, I bet Williams would sing a different tone. Did you know the Texans paid him for least 3/4 of the season when he was injured? If he wanted to come back, he would of took a pay cut. It is too bad that he thinks he can make a difference, it is a team game. Thank You W.Phillips!!! Mario had kept his mouth shut, I would respect that. He is using GM ploy so that the fans won't boo him. I'm not going to be there, but I already know they are going to boo him.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You bought HPD faster police cars. Stick your thumb up your ass, dickwad. Now they just get to sit in sports cars while giving out more tickets.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It isn't included there, but on the radio he said he wanted the Texans to offer him SOMETHING, but they didn't.

In any case, the point is the Texans were up against the salary cap, and that's why they let Winston and Mario go.

Saying either one was "greedy" is stupid. Especially as we are rejoicing in acquiring teh Beard.

19. justtxyank

So basically you posted an article to prove a statement that you made but when it didn't you want to use a quote on the radio that can't be proven? Why did you even post the article? Especially when at first you seemed confused about him even being a free agent?

But yes, I think it's stupid to call Mario greedy. He wanted what the market would pay him and there was never a chance the Texans were going to be able to pay him that. I think it's silly of him to try to paint the Texans as a bad guy now though. They couldn't give him what he wanted.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The article supports evidence that he wanted to stay but that the Texans were hard up against the cap and couldn't keep him. Same applies to Mario.

The Texans aren't bad guys, they just had to make business decisions. Our defense has been fine, the right side of our line, not so much.

Some people are blaming Mario for getting a big contract with a losing team. That's just stupid when we are rejoicing for Harden, who also left a contending team.