1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone Switch from iOS to Android?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yobod, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Other than fluid I'm not sure apple software is better.

2. HombreDeHierro

depends on what your definition of better is...

I think better implies that it is more intuitively simple. How we understand increasingly complex things is by reducing them to simplicity...

the phone itself has hit a plateau relative to 5 yrs ago

3. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

compare the hardware in the iphone5 with the gs3 and you will see why you are mistaken.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

and even that is questionable. I understand that only a FEW devices have jellybean so most people who are experiencing Android will say its laggier than ios but I can tell you from personal experience that Jellybean greatly improves the performance of Android to a level that at least rivals ios in fluidity. The only thing ios 6 has now over Android 4.1 is a larger media and app store, but honestly there isn't an app on ios that isn't on android that makes me wish "Damn I wish that was on my phone." Everything else Android demolishes ios in imo.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I just switched from android to an iPhone 5. To be honest, the only real reason I did so is because: of the android phones out now the only one I would want is the s3. And that phone just really does not fit my lifestyle. It's way too big for as active as I am and I would prob end up breaking it or at the very least be inconvenienced by its size.

That being said I really enjoyed android, but I'm very happy with my decision to switch to the iPhone. It does simplicity well and that's something I want in a phone. Plus, I've had an iPod touch since the first gen and an iPad since the second gen so the transition was easy. I will say however, that for bigger multimedia devices, ie computers and tablets I'm going to stick with windows and android. I want the customization on those that a Mac doesn't offer

For a phone though, the iPhone is still the best.

1 person likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Can someone also explain to me how ios is "simpler". I have used both os's extensively and what I found out is that android takes fewer actions to reach its goal. For example the back button on android is always on the same spot while in ios it changes and confuses the crap out of me. I really don't understand how ios is "simpler"? Things like widgets or notification bar shortcuts to settings make like a lot easier. In terms of core apps like phone, messaging, browser etc... what is simpler about ios? Specifics please.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    It has a really clean minimalist look that is standardized across their devices.

8. fchowd0311

all devices? There is only one line of iphones? If you want pure android get a nexus and jellybean is "simple" and "minimalist". Again specifics... What exactly are you referring to? I honestly think this is apple marketing getting to people's head.

9. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

Interesting. This is the exact opposite in my experience. The back button has always been top left corner in all of the apps I've used. Android, on the other hand, has a pretty inconsistent "Back" functionality. For some apps, it takes you to the home screen. Others take you back to the previous screen. The ones that implement a separate "Back" button have put it in a variety of places.

Also consider Tab views. I've seen tabs on top and on bottom in Android whereas on iOS, I've only ever seen them on the bottom.

10. HombreDeHierro

Apple operating system LOOKING simple is just a product of it being intuitively simple.

As in, it uses your brains natural tendencies to make actions easier.

Also, samsung makes the components first then design is an afterthought.
    Apple designs FIRST then sends it to the tech guys

Once again, design encompasses a lot more than just what meets the eye. It's philosophical

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Homre sounds like an Apple salesman lmao, textbook phrases.

12. HombreDeHierro

Fortunately I've never been paid by apple to say ****. I just tell it like it is. Got into the mind of Steve jobs through reading and educating myself. Now I see what he created.

Keep hatin though if that's something you live for

13. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

FIFY.

14. HombreDeHierro

Samsung is just the manufacturer. Apple still has to plan, design, and test like any other tech company.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Saying you sound like a salesman=hating...yea right...

Read your posts again, those are some phrases made for ads and presentations.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

this is what i was going to say. i have been toying with ICS on the touchpad in the evenings..and coming from an iphone all day..I see those things you pointed out.

17. jaykay

jaykay Member

I actually just made the switch from an iPhone 3gs that I've been using for 3 years to the galaxy s3 two weeks ago. I was quite impressed with how quickly I was able to adapt to the galaxy s3. Samsung's Touchwiz skin over Ice Cream Sandwich certainly makes for an easy transition from ios to Android. (I can't say the same about my experience using HTC Sense on my gf's Sensation). Hopefully the American carriers will be receiving the Jellybean update in the next month or so. Jellybean looks pretty promising.

The phone may be plastic, but it doesn't feel flimsy at all to me and frankly, I think it looks great in the blue color. As others have said, the screen is gorgeous and the phone is lightning quick and much more customizable and attractive looking than the ios 4 and 5 versions that I ran on my old iPhone.

I can't say I'm a diehard Android guy or a diehard Apple guy. Having had some time with both, I would of had a much more difficult time deciding which phone to get if I were on ATT. But since I'm on T-mobile, the choice was easy.

As far as size, yeah the gs3 is a large phone, but it the fact that it is so large yet thin makes it feel much lighter than it actually is. It fits well in my jeans, basketball shorts, and slacks. I could see how someone may prefer a smaller phone though.

I think the only thing that I haven't fully loved about switching to the gs3 from my old 3gs is music playback. My iphone sounded great with most hte headphones/earphones that I threw at it -- such as my Westone 3 and Ultrasone HFI-780. The GS3 doesn't sound bad, but the integrated soundchip doesn't sound nearly as good as my old iphone did or my friend's original galaxy s that had the Wolfson soundchip inside. I've been able to significantly improve my musical enjoyment with my GS3 by using the Neutron music player, though. The sound is pretty good now, but the interface of that music player is just god awful lol...but the soundquality trade off is well worth it over the other media player apps.

If you decide to make the switch, then I doubt you'd regret it unless you are a diehard audiophile or the phone's dimensions just don't mesh well with your hands. It's really hard to go wrong with either the iPhone 5 or GS3 though :cool:

18. HombreDeHierro

Just bc it sounds like an ad doesn't mean it's not true

19. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Do you use this same logic in everything you purchase? Is your gaming system an atari. Its intuitively more simple to use. Is your TV square and not rectangular. Do you buy the most simple vehicle you can afford?

As I have stated before. My 2 year old daughter navigates everything on our Android phones. How difficult can android be.

20. Hak34

Hak34 Member

2 years ago when Android phones were rocking 4 inch screens, and your iphone had a 3.5 inch screen, I bet you argued the same thing. Now suddenly 4 inches is just fine....lol