1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White out with "personal matter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

White's problem is an illness. I am not a mental healthy professional. What I see is that this is kind of similar to an injury-prone guy.

Boy, we had two of them franchise players like that in the past decade. What a mess that was.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Which is it? Are you not mentally healthy or are you not a professional?

3. seeingred

seeingred Member

just to reiterate what was said earlier, royce's anxiety issues are the reason we were able todraft him so late. We are gambling on his ability to work through it, and its a good bet, in my opinion, but anyone who thought there wouldnt be setbacks is delusional.

The other gamble is that mchale and our training staff can be supportive and find a way to take advantage of royce's talents given these well documented issues. They knew what they were getting into when they drafted him and this should not put him in the dog house.

Get well soon royce

4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'll throw my 2 pennies in here since I know a little about this:

It's not helpful to think of the treatment of this disorder (or many disorders for that matter) as Meds vs. Therapy. When I work with people struggling with any kind of anxiety disorder, I usually recommend a psychiatrist I've worked with before and trust to medicate my client.

Meds help to stabilize and manage the attacks so the focus of therapy doesn't have to be about management but sourcing out the root of the anxiety and going through the recovery process. In most severe cases, you really need both in order to do anything really effective.

Cognitive Behavioral, Experiential, some Gestalt therapy is helpful. It does require focused and consistent work. AND it usually doesn't get better until it gets worse. Meaning if Royce is doing real work with some professionals, they'll equip him with some skills to push deeper into his anxiety, but improvement won't happen until he experiences more difficult circumstances, and fails. He'll gain more insight, improve a little, push himself further again, have another attack, and start the process all over again until he's able to function at the highest level he's willing to achieve.

Expect a number of episodes/attacks to happen. It's not a sign he's not improving. It could, in fact mean, he's doing good work and is getting better. Hard to say, only those involved in his work will know.

1 person likes this.
  5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

you have very generous definitions of decent and productive.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Feigen better chip in with a donation to clutchfans :p

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...e-whites-absence-a-reminder-not-a-revelation/

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I like White and his potential, and this is a popular opinion out there for a while. But I've been following draft throughout, and White's position on draft board was mostly in the 20's(21st on draftexpress). There're reports afterwards mentioning he could slide all the way to late first/second round had we not picked him.

Given all that I think we draft him at a fair positon(#16). If we drafted him in the 20's or early second round, we are getting him that late because of the anxiety issue. To some people #16 would be too high, but again I like his potential so I think it's a fair pick overall.

8. mirus

mirus Member

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well his on-court play was decent enough for minny to sign him to a 3-year deal even after all his troubles in houston/NJ

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

They were that low precisely because of his aniexty stuff. White would be a top 10 pick if his brain worked completely normally.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Solomon sounds a little too confident about the Rockets' support. I had flashbacks to McGrady's microfracture season reading quotes from Morey and McHale. Even after the team doctors explained this is a real health issue, I don't have a lot of confidence that they're going to treat it any differently than they would some knucklehead who wants to skip practice to go to the Super Bowl.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

White's "self medication" needs time to leave his system before peaing in a cup.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

No he doesn't, he's stating his support and the tone of the article is that he hopes the Rockets will support them. Hence, he brought up their initial reactions ;)

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

:grin:

15. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

It comes down to physics, really. Royce White is either AT camp or he is NOT at camp (Even though bilocality in physics is another matter entirely so we'll keep that at the subatomic leveled discussions).

What plays into it is perspective. Royce's perspective is different than mine and is different than yours and yours different than mine. Either way, he will be be AT camp or he will NOT be at camp. The only thing that matters is which perspective wins out and the odds are it will not be mine nor anyone else's from the board.

Plus, in an alternate univ...he IS at camp. (And bTW, he's kickin A$$ in that universe! :)

16. spankz141

spankz141 Member

The Doc has spoken!

17. carayip

carayip Member

Royce deserves our support for sure.

And it's not really his fault. But Greg Oden's knee problem was not his fault either. If his problem is ongoing, it won't reflect and bode well for Royce himself or the Rockets organization. No organization wants to deal with such an "injury prone" player for very long and again and again.

I hope he can overcome his problem soon.

18. Arthurprescott2

That alternate universe sounds nice. Is Morey competent in that universe? Is McHale "nice"? Does Yao have two healthy knees there? Did LBJ1 really plot Kennedy's death there? Did LBJ2 never leave Cleveland? :grin:

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Not that it matters, but pre-draft the most optimistic analysts/experts 'think' he is top 10 prospect if without anxiety issue. It's not a consensus opinion, so most would probably agree he's a top 15 pick without any issue.

With the issue, most mock draft had him in the 20's. Some wouldn't consider him in late first round. So you can say his 'perceived' reasonable pick range should be in early 20's.

White may turn out to be like a top5 player or he could bust, but based on the consensus pre-draft we at least didn't pick him at a bargain position.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So if Im reading this correctly, you're saying that White is going to be traded for Josh Smith?