1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Carlos Delfino (2012)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DAROckets, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

K-Mart of PF/C's. Tell me, how many times has he been to the playoffs?

2. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

When I first saw the tweet about Houston having interest in Delfino a couple weeks ago, I didn't believe it. Then as it turns out, Houston was interested...but my understanding is that Houston was the only team that offered him a deal (at least at that point).

Even though we have 21 or so players currently on the roster, we're heavy on bigs and still need a bit of depth at the 2-guard. This will be especially true if/when we trade Martin by the deadline. But even if we keep Martin, expect injuries. We need someone to handle time at the 2 if/when one of Martin or Lin go down with an injury.

There's no way he was brought on to play backup SF when we have so many other players that could use time developing there over the season.

The most value Delfino has on our team is as a 1 year expiring contract. We have 7 million in cap-space right now. I believe it's these kinds of contracts that will allow us to receive draft picks for compensation for taking on other team's burdensome contracts.

And even though he's a good long range shooter, I find it extremely difficult to believe that he will be good enough to give us wins, much less brought on for that reason. Maybe he'll help give our locker room some mental stability.

At first I thought this was a terrible signing. Now, I think not so much. I doubt he gets more than 10 minutes a game without a major injury to someone else in the back court.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I see what you did there. :grin: Except Delfino is a better player than Novak. Novak is one dimensional shooter off the bench. Delfino is the definition of a Swiss Army Knife.

But I agree about everything else: Delfino will fill leadership void, play multiple positions, add more offense and teach tough nosed defense. White will love this guy. So will Lin and Parsons.

4. TheRocketfan

TheRocketfan Member

Plus he already has a working relationship with Mchale, can play PF & C. I think he's a good piece to add & better than Bynum

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

McHale didn't play Martin when we were fighting for a playoff spot so I don't see why he would play him when we aren't. I think this is just a move to have a second 2 guard.

6. The83rdWonder

The83rdWonder Member

I don't understand how people are believing that Delfino, DELFINO, would give the team 10+ wins and elevate them from bottom feeder to mediocrity..

Decent signing that puts depth at the 2 with K-Mart surely heading out and gives the young guns some veteran leadership.

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I have no problem with the signing, I'm guessing it is another under valued white guy so it should be a good move.
    To me Delfino doesn't look like a carbon copy at all 36% 3pt and 40% fg.

9. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I see nothing wrong with bringing him in on a cheap one year deal. Martin will no doubt be gone, perhaps even before the start of the season.

Delfino has plenty of experience, and he would make a good veteran presence for Lamb. He's a sharpshooter and can defend quite well. Both things Lamb can improve and eventually excel at. Its not like we signed the guy to a four year deal.

I just want to see the Rockets start trimming the fat a little. We've got a ton of forwards we need to decide what to do with.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Why do people think he is a long range shooter ? Career 36% is not good at all

11. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

It is a good move.
    Delfino is great and houston has a 2nd year option, so if Delfino has a great year he can be a great asset, and if he hasn't then is an expiring.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Delfino blows dick and plays like he's Kobe

WTF is this move I don't understand

13. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

That would be stupid not to play Martin, it's just throwing away money and opportunity by not playing him.

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Whatever. He's fine I guess.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Please just don't get any 3rd rate stars like Al jeff or J smith

16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

There's nothing worse then I hate than this argument. Because it's a TEAM SPORT!!! You are one out of 13 players on your team! Your actions alone might win you a game or two if you go crazy, but don't go generalizing players like "Has he been to the playoffs? Forget the stats."

Jefferson is a damn good player. He isn't a super star like Lebron or Dwight, so this playoff argument is so stupid. Chandler Parsons is a good young player. Has he been to the playoffs? Is that even relevant? Not really.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

And the Jazz went to the playoffs last season! SMH, horrible post.

18. Arthurprescott2

Exactly. It's astounding how many ppl are calling for those kinds of moves. Doing that would get the Rockets to mediocrity and weigh down the team with by locking up cap space. At this point, there is no other choice other than "tanking." Why add middling talent burdened by heavy contracts?

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

parsons backup

20. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

went to playoff twice in his career...why are you fighting this bro Martin and Jefferson are both Expiring contracts

Lin / Douglas
    Lamb / Delfino
    Parsons / White
    Motievation / Jones
    Jefferson / A-Seek and Destroy

is a potential playoff team! Embrace it or Quit being a fan

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: