1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what happens to Kevin Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Aug 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. AFS

AFS Member

Depends on how much playing time he gets. Even then, while Martin is a great scorer, I don't think that by himself he is enough to carry our team to a significantly different Win/Loss outcome.

I'd rather see his minutes cut to give Jeremy Lamb more play time, though.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thats the million dollar questions.

The answers are not clear right now but will become clearer as the season progresses.

Saids this before In another thread , two types of teams will have interest in Martin

1) playoff contenders who feel they are a scoring wing away from a deep run.

2) teams looking to shed salary over future years in exchange for either draft considerations or a player with upside.

We'll have to wait a while to see who those teams may be ....

3. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

It's a tension, trade him now you might not get as much value as you would letting him play and play well in his contract year. On the other hand you risk letting him play well (increasing his trade value) but possibly win more games reducing our draft position. There's an inverse relationship there with his trade value and our draft pick. As well he'd be taking time from lamb.

There's also the risk he could get injured too in the season blowing his trade value too.

I guess we could use him like tmac as a way for other teams to rent cap space so would you guys be okay taking on someone with another year of salary and let that eat some space for the 13-14 season?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The problem with Martin to Chicago is that he's in the last year of his contract. While the Bulls will be pushing for a playoff spot this year, they're hardly contenders without Rose. I don't see them giving up a 1st rounder for a rental in a season where they have no hope of winning a championship. I actually think Denver would be the better fit.

5. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

6th man of the year contention until we trade him and he goes back to starting or blows it.

6. teebone21

teebone21 Member

he is a veteran scorer and best shooter on the team AND the only 3pt threat we have. He stays and plays out the season and we let him expire. We get his 12+ mill cap space back.

7. Aruba77

That would be an epic fail, and I would lose all confidence in Morey as a GM. Not gonna happen

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Morey doesnt have the loser mentality like people on this forum. Tanking is not a option

9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

having 20+ mill in cap to get better players is a fail? What do you propose, more fowards and 2nd round picks? We cant be a trash dump for every other team. We cant be the bobcats of the west

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Possible 3 way with the Bobcats, and Grizzlies for more picks that have low protection later on.

We trade Martin, Patterson, Morris, future 2nd rders
    Get- Tyrus Thomas, Diop (exp. contract), Portland's pick (Bobcats), Detroit's pick (Bobcats)

Grizzlies trade- Gay
    Get- Martin (exp. contract), Morris, future 2nd ers

Bobcats trade- Thomas, Diop, Detroit and Portland picks
    Get- Gay, Patterson,

11. Aruba77

You don't let Martin walk for nothing when you could at least get a first rounder for him, period. If Potland can get the 6 pick for Wallace in the last year of his deal, Houston can get something worth while for Martin. Letting his contract expire is a wasted opportunity, and out of the question.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think what happens to KMart has a lot to do with how the Rockets play this season. I think DM honestly believes that the team has a legit chance at a play-off spot based on the starting unit and hopefully some good rookie play at the 4 spot. If the Rockets are improving and in the hunt for a play-off spot I think the Rockets will keep Martin on the team even past the trade deadline unless someone blows their socks off with an offer.

What I think will actually happen is that I think the Rockets will play well and show signs of being a very good team but will struggle to get to 33 wins on the season. I think KMart will be dealt at the deadline for a future draft pick to a team like Atlanta who is trying to make a push and needs another scorer.

13. TheRocketfan

TheRocketfan Member

I say trade Martin, PatPat & a pick to Utah for Big Al (McHale has a relationship with him already). Sign Barbosa, Then go with what we have:

Lin/Richardson/Machado
    Barbosa/Lamb/Fortsen
    Parsons/White/Morris
    Big Al/DMo/TJones
    Asik/JuJuan/Smith

Would be a fun team to watch!

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Who is the Richardson player you show behind Lin? I would have Barbosa backing up Lin and starting Lamb in your scenario and there is no chance at all that Fortson could be a back up 2 guard unless it was strictly as a match-up situation that would be rare for a 4'2" point guard.

15. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

With the things are going we probably end up trading him to Lakers for Duhon and Murphy (basketball reasons).

16. TheRocketfan

TheRocketfan Member

My bad Temporary Brain damage, Livingston is the back up PG & Forbes is the back up SG.......

17. TheRocketfan

TheRocketfan Member

Corrected!

18. rocketseagles07

I think you guys are going overboard on how many picks we need to acquire. We need a good pick but we don't need A MILLION picks. Mchale already said the goal isn't to have a team full of rookies and thats what we will have if we keep acquiring all these picks. One more HIGH draft pick at most....

19. opticon

opticon Member

I think Gay is going to get salary dumped by Memphis depending on where there at when the deadline roles around. Gay has a player option for 20 mil in final year of his contract. They want no part of that long term.

Martin would give them similar production at a much cheaper price.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Raps. Calderon.

Colangelo Jr needs to move JC as much as DM the GM needs to move KM(art).