1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

If you look at all his defensive ratings, they are outstanding.

He rates out as one of the best pick and roll defenders in the league as well as one of the top rebounders.

He's not going to give much at all offensively and he'll have to improve at staying out of foul trouble.

I thought it was 14 mins a game, but taking the numbers you provided, that still projects to 9.6 points, 14.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per 36 minutes.

Not too bad!

2. koopa

koopa Member

Yes ur right. It was actually 14 minutes per game 3 points per game and 5.3 rebounds per game. But i guess it is not bad in the limited minutes that he played to get 5 rebounds.

3. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

lol, then that projects to 7.7 pts and 13.6 rebs... but, you get the picture...

A true 7 footer who's young and defensive minded - and if you believe Thibs, has tremendous potential to get better.

We will likely get to see for ourselves!

4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

so, is Asik in the bag for us?

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We still have somewhere in the neighborhood of $10MM in cap room if the Bulls don't match the offer sheet to Asik, right?

6. mic

mic Contributing Member

Have they gotten the offer sheet yet? Wasn't able to check yesterday.

7. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

They'll have him sign it after Leur and Jordan clear waivers.

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

according to the Chicago Tribune.. signs point to them letting Asik go. Take it fwiw. They also said they are looking at Darko? lol

LINK

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

After talking to Lance Zierlein this morning, I feel as confident as he does that the Bulls are NOT going to match. I feel good about this. :)

10. ashiin

ashiin Member

Has height and is good at D.

11. Garner

Garner Member

Take away Darko was a huge bust and just take him for what he is today- he is a perfectly suitable backup C for a contender.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Another way of saying it is he's the black Kwame Brown.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Here is why I hate the Asik deal.

Asik has terrible stats in his 5 starts from last year, all of which he played meaningful minutes.

There were a number of games where Thibs basically gave Asik no meaningful minutes (granted on a offensively challenged team, Asik is going to have a hard time finding minutes).

Asik will never be a great value. He can only be overpaid, a complete bust, or a fair deal. Lin could actually be a good value, but we don't know.

14. juicystream

Of course, Asik did a lot of work in garbage time and against bench opponents.

Per 36 is 7.6/13/2.5

15. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Is this guy a better version of Marcus Camby?? That's all I need to know, thanks clutch fans!

16. juicystream

Better than Marcus Camby? Maybe going forward, but not better than Camby was last year even.

17. 1rkrage

1rkrage Member

Omer has been a pretty well known defensive commodity in TBL and Euro play well before he was a Bull :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvtM8JqlnY

You guys are getting one hell of a center if the Bulls idiot FO doesn't match. Only problem with him are his hands on the offensive side of things. But he does other things like O rebs, HUGE screens, and dunk from time to time.

Even if he isn't a Bull anymore I'd still root for the guy. And I think the situation in Houston would be ideal for his development. He has access to some amazing HOFs to train him on the other side of the Ball ;) Sucks as a Bulls fan who has grown to love this judge reinhold look-alike in his 2 years with the Bulls, but he has to do what he has to do for his own well being.

18. mazinger

mazinger Member

Is Camby a young player with upside and for the Future? thanks in advance.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's a joke. Camby wasn't even as good as Asik last year but then again Camby quit in Portland.

20. 1rkrage

1rkrage Member

that maybe true but if you see the games, Him and Taj were closing the games that you thought we didn't have any chance of winning. Their grit energize the team.

His impact is more than the basic stats show, trust me.