1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

how do you count assist?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coolpet, Jan 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. coolpet

coolpet Member

hey, if Rice throw the ball to Yao in low post, Yao post up, dribble the ball once, twice, fake then make the basket, will that be count as a assist to Rice?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

More than likely not. It shouldn't, anyway.

3. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

I wouldn't count it.

4. drapg

drapg Member

i think its 1.5 steps between receiving the ball and shooting it.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To my knowledge, there is no hard and fast principle on what constitute an assist. The rule says that it is a pass "that results in scoring." Whether a pass actually results in scoring is pretty much the judgment of the statistician.

6. moomoo

moomoo Member

Hey this question reminds me of another one I've wondered about.

This "Question of the Game," or at least something like it, was once asked at halftime of a Rockets game:

Let's say Steve passed to Yao in the post, and Yao immediately went up for a shot, missed it, but got fouled. He goes to the free throw line, and

a) makes both free throws. Does Steve get an assist?

b) makes one of two free throws. Does Steve get an assist?

Calvin's answer was a) yes, he gets an assist. Is this true? (Can we really trust Calvin? :))

Okay another one, which if someone can answer the first one may answer this one:

Let's say Steve passes to Cat, and Cat immediately takes a three, misses, but gets fouled. If in fact there is the possibility that Steve can get an assist here, does Cat have to make all three free throws for Steve to get the assist?

:confused: :confused: . :confused:

7. SLA

SLA Member

Hmm...I don't think you get an assist by doing that. They missed the original field goal.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

What if Steve makes a nice pass to Yao, and Yao makes it and is fouled?

NBA2K3 does not count it as an assist.

9. mduke

mduke Member

I'm not sure about NBA rules........but in HS they use the "2-dribble rule". Pretty self-explanatory. And if they make the 1st FT it counts as an assist....

10. coolpet

coolpet Member

how about after a rebound, Yao pass to wide open Steve Francis for a fast break? he has more than 2 steps, but it is the pass result a easy basket?

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

No and no....Calvin is dead wrong. You do not get an assist if the guy you pass the ball to goes to the line and makes his foul shots. N O !

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

yes