1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uverse vs. Comcast in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, Sep 21, 2008.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would go safe and go with Uverse.
    If Xfinity ever screws up or has problems, the customer support is terrible. You won't get anything fixed for weeks or even months.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've had Uverse for the last year since moving to Austin. No complaints with the TV or Internet service.

3. NickLewis

NickLewis Member

Thanks!

4. Captainundpants

Weeks and months? I can't imagine service being that bad. But I'm curious to know who has the better package? Cause I believ xfinity does cause there internet speed is much higher. There cables are about the same channel was. To me Internet is the main things cause at my place we have about 8 different device using the wifi

5. RedRedemption

Comcast sucks.
    I'm using my phone to tether right now to connect to the internet.
    My internet went out three days ago and hasn't connected once since.

COMCAST IS SO ****.
    And then when you call then they tell you they know exactly what you are doing and that they took down notes and will put my issue in the system. Three days later call another rep he/she has no idea what the previous rep was talking about.

Comcast customer support sucks. The techs have no idea what they are doing, their customer service agents are condescending and just complete inconsiderate douchebags.

Internet has been out for three straight days! 72 hours!

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've had Comcast for 3 years at 2 different apartments. Both times, the tech came and set things up within the appointment window. Of course, they are never early but which utility company ever is?

I've had no problems with the customer support. The only times I've had a problem is when I set up my internet. I gave them a call, they pinged my modem and it was up. Took me maybe half an hour on the phone for everything. My internet never disconnects either.

Personally, I've never had any outrageous problems with Comcast. It's never been a problem at my parent's house either for over 12 years when we first got cable. Back then, it was Time Warner but I think Comcast bought them out maybe 6 years ago. These horror stories are always amusing to me since Comcast has been good.

On the other hand, my girlfriend has UVerse DSL and it was the worst first month or so to help her set it up. Constant disconnections for the longest time. Since then, it's been okay but nothing like a cable modem.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is no such thing as "UVerse DSL". They are different products. I've had both. AT&T's DSL is trash; U-Verse is great. In fact, my experience with their DSL closed my mind about about giving U-Verse a chance. Finally after Ike, I gave in and haven't looked back.

8. RedRedemption

You are in the minority. Comcast has THE lowest rated customer service of every single government and private entity in the United States.

9. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Came home at 12 am after working. No cable, no internet, no reason. Comcast is garbage.

10. RedRedemption

That's Comcast for you.
    The techs will show up completely confused and unfocused and then leave without fixing everything.

The online chat support agents treat you like you are mentally r****ded and are extremely condescending. Sometimes I end up talking to someone that knows LESS about my problem than I do.

Comcast policy for fixing things is to apply a proverbial band-aid for whatever is not working to cut corners and then when the problem flares up again they repeat the process.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have had Comcast for the past 2 years with no problems at all. Then I moved, and everything has been awful since. I scheduled the transfer of service more than a month in advance, and it didn't happen. For the past 13 days I've called Comcast at least twice a day every day to find out when they would set me up for their service, and I've gotten different answers every time. What RR said about the represenatives not taking notes of what you tell them is 100% true. I've had the same problem for this entire time and they simply refuse to solve it, even though they tell me they can. I spoke to a supervisor who put me on hold then dropped me from his queue!! So I signed up for Uverse.

I've heard Uverse is slower than Comcast. I was getting the Comcast Blast Plus package (30 mbps). The highest Uverse gives my area is the Max Plus package (18 mbps).

I have an XBox, desktop PC, Roku, laptop and will soon be adding a tablet to the mix. Is 18 mbps good enough to support these systems? I would like to be able to get HD quality from the movies/shows I stream on my XBox/Roku.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Love U-Verse the service and even the customer service, but they NEVER get the billing correct. I literally had to call every month because they would have the bill wrong and eventually gave up. Been getting ripped off an extra $30 bucks a month but it's not worth it anymore to call them every month and yell at them every month. At least the service is good.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but I just want to bump this once before it is pushed back too far. Anyone with Uverse have multiple devices working off its wifi and/or ethernet?

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We have an Xbox360, 2 PCs, phones and 18 Mbps is fine. Wifi works great. We will be adding a tablet or two the next couple of months and don't anticipate any problems.

I just realize for only $8/month more, I could get 24 Mbps.

1 person likes this.