1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest vs. The Camera

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by getsmartnow, Jan 4, 2003.

1. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Artest smashes camera

NEW YORK (AP) -- On a night when Latrell Sprewell had the breakout game his coach had been waiting for, Ron Artest took out his frustration by grabbing a $100,000 television camera and smashing it to pieces.
    Artest's post-game tantrum deflected some of the attention from the star of the game, Sprewell, who had 25 points with seven assists, five rebounds and three steals Friday night to lead New York to a come-from-behind 98-96 victory over Indiana.
    "Tough loss, I guess," said MSG Network cameraman Mike Miner, who was filming Artest in the tunnel leading from the court when he stormed off. After grabbing a television monitor and throwing it, Artest approached Miner and yanked the high-definition camera away from him.
    "He lifted it over his shoulder and smashed it to the ground," Miner said. "I was a little rattled by the whole thing, but I'm OK."
    Officials with the cable network said the camera's lens alone was worth about $60,000.
    Artest stormed out of the arena just a few minutes later and did not comment. Before the game, he said he was so focused on winning the game that he turned down all ticket requests from friends and family in his native New York.

"Obviously, Ron is an emotional guy and hopefully he'll learn from it," teammate Jermaine O'Neal said. "I'm pretty sure the bill will help him learn from his mistake."
    Sprewell, coming off a three-point performance in a victory over Toronto, played one of his best all-around games of the season to help the Knicks match their longest winning streak of the season -- three games.
    New York came back from two 17-point deficits and outscored Indiana 30-17 in the fourth quarter to snap the Pacers' four-game winning streak.
    Howard Eisley scored 17 points and Charlie Ward had a key steal and tip-in in the final minute for the Knicks.
    O'Neal had 24 points and Brad Miller added 20 for the Pacers.
    New York trailed 79-68 entering the fourth quarter, but Sprewell sparked them on a 17-4 run to start the quarter. His 15-footer with 6:26 remaining gave the Knicks their first lead since the opening minute of the game.
    "Every game I'm waiting for the breakout game," coach Don Chaney said of Sprewell, who entered the game averaging a career-low 15.2 points on 39.7 shooting.
    Sprewell finished 9-for-23 from the field and was the only Knicks starter who did not commit a turnover.
    "I looked at Spree and for the first time he had life in him," Chaney said. "He had that energy that was missing, that explosiveness."
    O'Neal made two free throws with 1:43 left to give Indiana a 92-91 lead before Michael Doleac hit a jumper with 1:22 remaining. Miller had a tip-in with one minute left to give the Pacers their final lead.
    After Shandon Anderson missed inside, Ward came up with the game-deciding play. Jamaal Tinsley drove to the basket and threw an ill-advised blind pass behind him toward the foul line, and Ward picked it off. He drove downcourt and missed a layup, but hung around the basket and tipped the ball in after Anderson missed a tip attempt.
    Reggie Miller, Artest and O'Neal missed shots on Indiana's next possession before Sprewell grabbed his final rebound. He was fouled and made both shots for a 97-94 lead.
    New York fouled Brad Miller on the ensuing inbounds pass to prevent the Pacers from trying a 3-pointer, and he made both with 4.6 seconds left. Kurt Thomas missed one of two from the line with 4.0 seconds left, giving Indiana a chance to go for the win or the tie.
    With no timeouts remaining, the Pacers could only manage to get the ball to the wrong Miller -- Brad -- for a buzzer-beating 3-pointer that missed.

----------

Ouch. How can anyone smash a camera like that? Artest has problems- didn't he beat up his girlfriend last year? I know it was a hard loss to take, but he should take his anger out on something else. Not worth $100,000!!

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Actually his girlfriend beat him up, and maybe thats where the anger is from......

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I know I'm tired of reading about Artist's "intensity". Dude sounds like he has mental problems.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

i'm sure he had no idea how much that camera is worth. i mean i certainly wouldn't have known it was worth that much......

but yeah, Ron is a bit intense...

5. Truth

Truth Member

There is a fine line between being intense and being mentally ill. Artest has shown signs of really having seroius problems. Mike Singletary was intense, Artest is just plain ol' crazy.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Only neuroscience can help this FrOoOtCaKe!!!!

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Artest needs to get some help before he decides to do that to a person. Hopefully he will be so embarassed by the incident he'll shape up a little bit.

8. drapg

drapg Member

NBA also fines Artest $35,000
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest was suspended for three games without pay and fined $35,000 by the NBA on Saturday for hurling a television monitor and smashing a camera to pieces following a game the previous night.

Artest stormed off the court after the Pacers lost to the Knicks 98-96 at New York on Friday night, grabbed a monitor and threw it. He then approached a cameraman, yanked the high-definition $100,000 camera away from him and smashed it to the floor.

"Tough loss, I guess," said MSG Network cameraman Mike Miner, who was filming in the tunnel leading from the court.

"Obviously, Ron is an emotional guy and hopefully he'll learn from it," teammate Jermaine O'Neal said. "I'm pretty sure the bill will help him learn from his mistake."

The league said the $35,000 fine will be applied to the damages to the equipment. Since the fine will not cover the entire cost of the camera, Artest will likely be asked to pay the difference.

"Ron Artest will deal directly with Madison Square Garden on that matter,'' NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

MSG Network spokesman Eric Gelfand said his company had no comment.

"I can understand where they're coming from," Pacers coach Isiah Thomas said Saturday. "Any time you do something like that, you put yourself in a position where others can control you."

Artest began serving the suspension Saturday and was not with the team, which played at Washington. He will also miss the Pacers' games at Indiana on Monday and against New York on Wednesday.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

thanks for the update.

Artest is a fargin bastige.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why is the fine applied to the damages? He should pay the fine AND the damages on top of it.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i agree. the NBA just helped Artest pay for the camera.

the guy should give a public apology to the New York Knicks fans in the Garden! that oughta shape him up! I betcha New York will pull a City of Brotherly Love and boo Artest anytime he steps foot in MSG.

12. drapg

drapg Member

I agree, especially since sports fines usually go to charity. Some charity just lost $35K b/c of the decision.

13. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I don't agree with what he did, but a 3 game suspension???

How many games did Chris Mills get when he and his 'boys' decided to try to go to war against the Blazers AFTER THE GAME?

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good one, a X Da st! How about every time he touches the ball?
    Can you say DANNY AINGE in "the Summit" :mad:?