1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets select Terrence Jones with the No. 18 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Terrence Jones by the Rockets at #18?

1. YES

233 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. NO

339 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

That's crazy talk. Irving, Williams, Kanter and Valanciunas would still have been picked before him, PJ3, Barnes, and Sullinger also had higher stock last year. I don't think there was a single mock draft that would have put Brandon Knight below Jones either. Terrence would have fallen into a big group of prospects for the late lottery with John Henson, Jan Vesley, Biyombo, and Kemba Walker.

Jones didn't improve his stock this year, but he also didn't hurt it, which is pretty impressive considering the perceived quality of this year's draft. He's a good prospect on his own merits, there's no need to needlessly inflate how he was perceived in the past.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrence-Jones-5708/mock-draft-history/

3. adboy

adboy Member

I think he's actually closer to Thadeus young in Philly. Left handed, athletic, long. Don't have measurables but watching the highlights just remind me of him for some reason

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Doesn't that prove my point? I listed 7 prospects that were better than him, along with about 5 more that were comparable?

From my experience with DX, they're not particularly accurate or worthwhile until after the college season ends; since the NBA guys aren't seriously looking at players that early, all the rankings are based on Givony's opinions, and not on things he hears from scouts, or workouts he's attended personally, but on who's having huge games on a week to week basis.

I'm a Terrence Jones fan and actually do think that he's got a chance to succeed under McHale as a defense first, hustle guy. But I just want to nip this notion in the bud now that he was considered one of the truly elite prospects last year and fell. He was a top HS recruit who played out of his mind before the SEC regular season started, then fell back a bit during conference play, and has maintained a relatively stable draft stock in the late lottery since then. It's just creating unrealistic expectations for the kid, much like how I can't possibly see how Motiejunas can ever live up to the hype at this point.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think people are gonna be surprised at jones. He's a high end athlete. The rockets haven't had this kind of athlete in awhile. He's not just linear either in terms of athletic. He doesn't have to get a running start nor does he hit the ground a lot. As I was watching film of him, a couple of names came up. On draft express they mentioned al harrington. That's really a great comparison. When that name was mentioned, I thought about al harrington before he ripped his knee. He was on pace to be an all star type of sf/pf. Looking at jones build,its very similar to al harrington. Anotherf great comparison was rodney rodgers. Again, a big tweener and a matchup problem his athleticism allowed him to be multiple. When people question jones,its not the talent or even his heart as much as his consistecy. Jones is thekind of guy who can make things look easy and people will say he's not playing hard. He will make all star type of plays and then cme back and make d-league type playe. For the old heads, rodney mccray and derrick mckey were these types of players.

I honestly really like this guys talent from an athletic pov. He will get the ball off the rebound and go straight back up and dunk the ball. The last guy to do that other than dalembert was carl landry. The rockets need more guys who play above the rim and can improve. I don't worry about his shooting because that's just repititions. I think mchale is gonna really like him. He can play 3 too which makes a lot of sense. I never thought morris could play the 3,but I think jones is more 3 than 4. Yeah,he'll have trouble with lebron,but who doesn't? Same for durant,but he has the kinda talent that when focused,he's not overmatched. Great pick by rox

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

I didn't say I disagreed with you-- in fact, I agree, he wasn't some sort of consensus top 5 pick. Just wanted to give an example of a mock draft. Indeed Jones was only listed in #5 at the very beginning of the 2010-11 season. As we know from guys like Barnes and Rivers, those things can change a lot.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Someone take me to the hospital, I just died of shock.

8. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

if we keep jones everyone that said they wanted zeller and r hatin on jones r bgonna look as ignit as my spelling

9. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NDM_SsoLKeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. leebigez

I said do-nuts last yr was a great pick. Just because I'm critical, doesn't mean I'm not fair. Dorsey was a garbage pick, didn't care for morris, thought patterson was solid. Didn't like the broks pick until I got my film and by his rookie yr, I said he should be the starter. Same with landry

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

From 1 to 3 do you have the three Rockets picks from this year in the same order?

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

His 3-ball reminds me of Sam Perkins.

13. leebigez

Lamb-jones-white

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Is it just me or does he look like curren$y.

1 person likes this.
  15. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

he is the new david andersen

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Someone has probably mentioned this by now, but his overall measurements beat out Patterson's. However, he's a better ball handler, so i guess that's what makes him appear to be such a tweener. Patterson plays more like a traditional PF compared to Jones, but PP still plays small. Jones may turn out to be the better player and PF.

They're different players, but very similar picks. 18 in a deep draft is basically 14 in any other year....

#216 RV6, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Well said. I really think fans here are underestimating how good this guy can be. I think he's easily the most talented PF prospect on our roster. I see his name thrown around as one of the players fans would most like included in a potential Eric Gordon deal. He's also bringing it up the rear in the poll. For me, he's one of the players i'd least want to trade. Way happier to see Pat or Morris go. Hell, even Lamb, assuming we received Gordon in return. I sincerely hope our coaches are ready to work with this guy to get the most out of him. If he takes the next step, he's going to be a terror on both sides of the ball.

Plus i honestly believe you could put both Jones and White on the court together without any real liability. If either could improve their mid and long-range games, that combo would be leathal.

#217 Aruba77, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  18. Carl Herrera

Who knows whether any of these guys will turn out to be good or bad? It's early July. Last July we have people on the board discussing how Marcus Morris was going to be the new franchise player and what a steal Motiejunas is. Chandler Parsons was the guy in the press conference who didn't brag about himself (Faster than Dwight! Melo with defense!).

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In his interviews he seems timid.

DD

20. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

I hope it isn't the Patrick Patterson type of timid.