1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Frank Johnson, COM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pasox2, Jan 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey. I read that and realized, I don't know what the guy is doing. Anyone can clue me in? Is he good out of a timeouts? Are people pleased he's managed mins on a tough roster? Great xs and os? Good gameplans that defeat better teams? I dunno, roster looks pretty simple to me. They just need to cover up the hole at the 5 and avoid Amare getting pushed out 10 or more - and Amare's strong and big Jake can fill dead space in a zone.
    Clue me in, please - I'm curious if we can learn anything.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I saw the game against Philly last nite and one thing I noticed is that they go to Amare in the post on >50% of their possessions when he's on the floor. They don't necessarily look for him to actually set up for a shot, but the first thing they do after bringing ball upcourt is send it into the post and start from there. I would much rather we follow suit and initiate our offensive sets w/ Yao, MoT, even EG as opposed to running this fruitless hi-screen roll to start every play. The Suns team realizes that if the ball goes into the post that doesn't mean it's just an ISO one-on-one play for the post player, but rather a starting point for the offense to see what materializes in the play. Our team seems like everyone's interested in getting their's and once they get the ball they're reluctant to give it up b/c they might not get it back for a while. This even applies to players' trying to make The Play where they're either gonna shoot or try to get the assist themselves, instead of making the extra pass and letting the next player set someone up for a good shot. The Suns players trust each other a lot more.

3. CY02

CY02 Member

From what I saw, 5-6 of 8 Stoudemire's baskets were dunks. I wonder why teams didn't dare him to shoot outside.

4. SLA

SLA Member

UHHHHH...I know. That was dumb. Hopefully coaches will develop strategies and WATCH ENDLESS HOURS OF TAPES ON HIM like they did with YAO MING.

WOW....KENNY THOMAS HAS FOUND A HOME. When did Kenny Thomas ever demand double teams?!?!?!? He has been doing great and had many assists....

Anyways........to me......The Suns don't play anybody except Stephon Marbury, Penny Hardaway, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, and Scot Miller, AND BO OUTLAW. Those are their main players. Also add Casey Jacobsen. He is playing a lot of guys I guess.