1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if the Lakers Miss the Playoffs, but Get Lebron James???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oski2005, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

:eek:

Wouldn't that be terrible? I bet Phil might stick around for that. Lebron, with his size (6-8 240), could play SF. Damn, Shaq is only 30 and Kobe is 24. I'm thinking James may need about 2 years to develope. Damn, that's a scary thought. Of course, if James is as good as they say, it may be hard for those 3 to play together, but still, it's a scary thought that the Lakers could end up with another (possible) great player. Also, this would be a guy they actually drafted and didn't have to trade for like Kobe and Shaq.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would say anything is possible after the Rockets landed Yao Ming. :)

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Well since I think that LJ is going to be a bust, I say let them take him.

They lost their drafting prowess when West left.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Careful about who you call a potential bust. Look at our boy Franken-ming and how all the naysayers are now going, "Uh, oops."

I'm sick of the hype, too, but LJ will at worst be a Vince Carter, at best, who knows? Sky's the limit.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

He does sort of have that Herman Munster squared off head working. Although I don't see the girls going crazy over Herman.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

The hype machine would be unbareable, (almost is right now) if he ended up in either LA or NY.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

David Stern might fix the lottery so LA or NY DON'T end up getting the top pick just to shut the conspiracy theorists up...

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet money Lebron ends up in NY somehow.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I can't remember where I saw it, but the NBA might televise the actual lottery selection on live TV. Last year, they let a couple of reporters in...

10. Live

Live Member

Well, I still say the Lakers will right the ship and make the playoffs.

As for repeating as Champs, that's another topic.

I get the funny feeling that Miami will win the lottery this year, which could be a good thing. Love him or hate him, Riley insistence on defense, conditioning, and discipline could be just what 'King James' needs. Plus, James and Butler could form a nice combo over the years.

11. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

So he ends up in NYC? Whats the problem? They are the worst team in the world and I thought that was the point of the whole lottery thing? Or do you expect that NYC is tanking it on purpose? I mean, how can they be that bad with Kurt Thomas playing center, right?

Who cares where he ends up. Let him go to the worst team that wins the ping-pong lottery. How much more hype will he receive or receiving compared to Ming? Ming is all over the place and nobody here is complaining about how much hype Ming is getting.

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

James will get a ton more hype, at least here in the states, than Ming is getting. He was on the cover of SI as a junior in High school.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The lottery could be the most unfair thing in sports. But then again, who says life is fair. We didn't mind when we got Yao Ming, even though it was grossly unfair for us to get the #1 in the year when Yao came out.

It wasn't fair that the Bulls got Tony Kukoc (the best available Euro at that time) when they were winning championships. If the Lakers get Lebron, it will be one of the most unfair event in NBA history. How can you have Shaq and Kobe and still get James?

But then again, LeBron might not be able to get along with Kobe and Kobe might bolt to Memphis after his contract is up.

14. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

We all know that he's either going to the Knicks or Cavs.
    It is unfair that they're putting all this hype on one highschool player, but I guess that just shows how far sports has come. :rolleyes:

I just hope he does somewhat decent his first year.

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Already counting Denver out of the picture? Memphis?

16. Xarathas

Xarathas Member

Eesh.. Memphis will become a SCARY team in the next few years if they land James and keeps Gasol/Gooden.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

LA will still wonder how in the hell they are going to stop Yao Ming!

18. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

LOL, sounds like we fans can never not to believe in the conspiracy theory, no matter what the result is. I don't think they will fix the lottery, sure it will make the NBA more marketable, but it's toooooooooooooo risky, and not worth it. Once scandal of this scale get uncovered, the NBA will lose all its credibility. A lot of fans will abandon this sports just like people did to baseball, and Stern will lose his job and goes to jail. If I were Stern, there is noooooooooo way I am going to risk all these to sake the Knicks. The Knicks need to save itself, starting from firing Layden.

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

That seems to be a risk Stern has taken quite alot over the last 10-12 years.

20. NestT

NestT Member

Proof ?