1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Centers vs Guards, who will win?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NetsFan2002, Dec 16, 2002.

1. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

Maybe an interesting topic:
    suppose there are two teams, one made up of centers , whose heights are all larger than(or equal to) 7-0(2.13m), ther other made up of guards, whose heights are no more than 6-7(2.00m),
    if the two teams play with each other, which will win?
    Suppose the lineup is:
    Centers: Shaq, Tim, Yao, Candyman, Gasol,Nowitzki,Ilgauskas, ,Bradly, Divac, Sabonis, David Robinson.
    Guards: Steive, Payton, AI, Kobe, Kidd,Marion, Penny,Stockton, Bibby, Bobby Jackson, Andre miller, etc.
    (note, TMAC is 6-8)

IMHO, centers would dominate if they are quick enough to handle the fastbreak and someone can dribble to pass through the half court .
    Nowitzki can play PG, also there are some good passers: Divac, Yao, Sabonis, who will pass the dishes to Shaq!
    Centers will win in my opinion

2. cujo

cujo Member

the big guys will win. Shots in the paint are high percentage shots vs outside shooting. Driving the lane will be hard with all those trees in th way. Big guys will win easily.

3. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

But small guys can play fastbreak to get points.
    Also, a lot of steals from small guys will be nightmare for Centers!

4. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Big men of course

-All high percentage shots
    -run a 3-2 zone to cover up all the outside shots
    -domination of the rebounds
    -pass the ball up court instead of bringing it up (over the head lob passes of course :) )
    -Theres no way a guard could block a shot or even contest one for that matter
    -Nitzowki, Ming and Duncan can be the perimeter players if big men need shooters

if this was to happen

Big men 120
    Lil men 80

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Shaq
    Ming
    Bradley
    Duncan
    Novitski

vs

Earl Boykins
    Damon Stoudamire
    Avery Johnson
    Chucky Adkins
    Brevin Knight

6. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

Also, considering anther team , made up of 6-8 to 6-11
    Including:
    Grant Hill,TMac, Brand,Stojakovic, Webber, Garnett,
    Jermaine O'Neal, Mashburn, Ben Wallace,
    Sorry, I hate Pippen , so no place for him

Seems this is the best team with everything: dribble, shoot, strength, defense

7. Live

Live Member

The Cs may win, but it won't be easy.

- The Gs could press and trap on D, zone in the half court, and stretch out the D on offense. A few ISO & drives into the paint should sit a few people on the bench with foul trouble.

- Size is over-rated when it comes to rebounding. (see Barkley, Charles: Aguirre, Mark: Dantley, Adrian: Rodman, Dennis: Wallace, Ben) Let a few Gs slip inside and establish rebounding position, and there goes a few more Cs sitting on the bench in foul trouble from over-the-back calls.

- But as was pointed out, the big guys have balance on their side, especially if a Nowitzki or Garnett is on the perimeter. They have the better chance to run a legitimate half-court offense.

- The Gs would basically have to live or die on jumpers, and would be in deep trouble if their shots weren't falling. The Cs could just pack it in.

8. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Also, theres real no need for all the players on the big men to crash the boards, just about two big men would do. Therefore, the other 3 can get back on defense to hinder the fast break. Besides, some guards have trouble finishing the fast break because its hard to lay up sprinting down the court.

However

if it was 5 T Macs vs 5 Shaqs, I'd pick T Macs to win.

9. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

Yeah!
    But what if 5 (last year's )Tim vs 5 T Macs?

10. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

someone should run some sims on NBA live....
    this thread reminds of the kareem vs dr. j pay per view..
    personally i would take 5 hakeems circa 94...

11. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

I would simulate it on NBA live. But the problem is the strategy is fixed:
    I can't let 1 or 2 centers not participate in offense in order to handle little guys' fastbreak.
    I will write a report on my simulation later.
    But the problem is Yao Ming's rate is not high in NBA live, maybe I should fix some.

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

yao is nba live 2003? which version? y i didn't saw him?

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Aren't fact breaks mostly triggered by rebounding and the outlet pass?

Unless they're all Steve Francises most of the rebounds will fall to the taller and rangier center.

When you have 5 7-footers playing zone, it kills whatever penetrating ability the guard has. Plus, they're most likely to be thrown to the ground trying to pull of their fancy moves in order to get a shot off that isn't blocked.

14. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

I once thought about this while playing nba live and made five teams. One team all centers, one team all PF's, one team all SF's.

Then I simulated the whole season and the SF's won it all in a final against the PF's.

Maybe thats the answer. But who can really say. If there would be an exact answer I think some GM will sign only Point guards or SF's and then win it all........