1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Dragic, Lowry, both or keep both?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Mar 21, 2012.

?

What would you do?

1. Trade Lowry?

93 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Trade Dragic?

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Trade Both?

15 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Keep both?

160 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

PER does a decent (not perfect, but reasonable) job of measuring offensive contribution. You need to accept that, or continue making an ass out of yourself. Doesn't matter to me which you choose, but those are your choices, DD.

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Ad hominem argument.

If you want to point out the flaw of PER, at least try harder than "it's made by a sportswriter"

1 person likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just look at the wiki page for PER they do a great job on there of explaining the major flaws in PER, I would rather simply poke fun at those ..what did you call them....narrow minded people....who put so much stake into them.

DD

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hmmm ... the issues against PER described in the wiki -- overrates offense-oriented players who struggle on D, overrates players coming off the bench or playing limited minutes, overrates players who shoot the ball a lot (all sound critiques IMO) -- kind of undercuts your argument that PER underrated Brooks.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The PER has been clearly explained, I don't see a big enough flaw that makes PER irrelevant.

If a person wants to argue offensive efficiency, PER does a pretty reasonable job at that, more so than PPG (which you used as an argument in support of Brooks).

If a person wants to argue defense, then PER needs to be completely disregarded.

Stats are objective, but the users are subjective. Any and every stat can be manipulated to prove a point, but that doesn't mean the stat is lying.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The whole "trade Lowry to keep Dragic" argument needs to account for the possibility that Dragic may leave anyway even after you trade Lowry. Dragic is unrestricted FA and can go where he wants for whatever reason.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Forget PER, DD. All one needs to have done is watch the games the last few seasons to know that Lowry is a better starting point guard than Brooks. Clearly, you haven't been watching the games! ;-)-

I'm also a fan of AB, as well as Kyle, and it pained me to watch him make such a fool of himself the season he was "gotten rid of." I'm also becoming a big fan of Dragic's play as a starting point. It's a quandry. I wish I could say having two starting caliber point guards is a good problem to have, but with Dragic needing a new contract, and Lowry being such an amazing bargain, I don't see how we can hang on to both. If Lowry were benched in favor of Dragic, our chemistry would immediately become toast, IMO. One of the nice things about Dragic is his length. It's a trip having a one who doesn't need a telephone book to stand on to reach 6 feet. Who has a motor the equal of Lowry's, which by itself is impressive. Who can get hot and score 30, like AB did from time to time. I actually agree with you, at least a little, that Dragic has some of the best qualities of AB and Kyle, in a taller frame.

I'm glad I don't have to decide who to play and for how long. Who to deal, and who to keep. While it's great that we have good players to chose from on the perimeter, how do we give them enough minutes? How do we keep them happy? How do we keep them from going off the deep end, like Brooks did, if a change is clearly best for the team? Chase lost his starting gig to Parsons, and rightly so, but Chase reacted how a coach wants a player to react in that situation. After being angry a while, he stepped up. He improved his play. Bud is actually a better player today because McHale made him sit. I gave McHale as much grief as anyone when Alexander/Morey hired him, but he's impressed me with how he's handled some of the guys, like Bud.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaDakota

I never made that argument, I said PER sucks for trying to determine who is the better player.

DD

9. DaDakota

This is true, you have to have signed Dragic BEFORE trading Kyle - pretty obvious in all honesty but thanks for pointing it out.

DD

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

"Brooks was carrying 3 no offensive players on offense, so it had an impact on his PER compiliation."

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'd keep both and start Dragic as the 2 guard. Trade Martin and Scola, like they should've done at the deadline. Find a veteran PG in free agency or draft one, bring Montiejunas over, hope Camby has the same bloodlines as Dikembe and plays good defense/rebounds until he's well into his 40's and you've got a solid, deep team.

1- Lowry, Dragic, Vet/Draft
    2- Dragic, Lee, Budinger
    3- Parsons, Budinger, Morris
    4- Patterson, Montiejunas, Morris
    5- Camby, Dalembert....Howard!

12. NickLewis

NickLewis Member

I say trade Kevin and his $12.5 M contract away after the season and retain Courtney and Goran. Based on what I've read from the Salary Cap situation after the season we could waive the remainder of Sam's contract and have a $ 1.5 M hit, and there would be plenty of flexibility for us to sign a nice free agent!

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The big thing to me, is that it seems that Dragic is better at finishing at the rim, especially with contact than Lowry. I wish I could put some numbers together but I couldn't find any to apply at nba.com, basketball-reference, or 82games. That is such a rare talent to be able to actually finish at the basket most of the time, especially with contact.

In the playoffs, penetrating guards have to be able to finish with contact, because the refs don't call those fouls.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It will be impossible to keep both dragic will get like 5 years 40 mil. I guess lowry will be shipped off like brooks.

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Agree, Dragic is a really strong finisher in traffic and good at getting those 'and 1’s.' Lowry was actually talking about that during the Pacers game when he did his guest commentary. He pointed out that Dragic finishes at the rim at 69%, which makes for second best in the NBA. Lowry by comparison, is finishing at the rim at 58% this season. You can find those shot location stats on hoopdata.com.

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Dragic is pretty remarkable at finishing. He just gets a full head of steam and finishes with that left hand layup. You would think defenders would force him to go right.

As for the topic we have to trade Lowry and keep Dragic. Morey sure as hell isn't going to let Dragic go!

17. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

What scares me Im starting to become a dragic fan over lowry, dragic plays the game while lowry tries and flops and dosent get back to defense.

18. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

we cant pay big buck to both, we cant let dragic walk for nothing, so the logic solution would be resigning Dragic and trade Lowry 9+ Martin's expiring contract for a big.

19. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I disagree. Lowry is all star starter material. Dragic is not.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lol at basketballhollic