1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you go after Peyton Manning?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Yes or no

1. yes

54.9%
  2. no

45.1%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Schaub had started 46 consecutive games (and finished all of them, too) prior to his injury - the equivalent of nearly three full seasons. If that's made-of-glass, I'm curious what the term would be for, say, Matthew Stafford (who you brought up). :)

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

also made of glass.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Then I would suggest opening them; they work much better that way.

Using what rationale? Certainly not statistics; Schaub is not only better but has consistently been better.

I think you're undervaluing Schaub tremendously. I also think all these other QBs look better to you because all you ever see of them are 3-minute highlight reels on ESPN. Meanwhile, you see every Schaub throw, good and bad, and, likely given a predetermined conclusion (ie he's the 13th best QB in the NFL), you're far more hyper-focused on the bad than you realize.

There are a lot of ways to measure a QB. For me, I look at QBR and YPA; I think, together, they tell a fairly representative story of how a QB is performing. And Schaub has ranked outside the top 7 in those two categories just once the past four years. If you don't like those stats, cool. But he's among the top 10 of virtually every other one you can think of.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

so, in other words, the reason that you would take stafford or newton over schaub, or the reason they may be "on your radar", is SOLELY because of their age. that's what you're saying. nothing else about their game may have led you to that conclusion. may as well put yates, gabbert, ponder, kapernick, tebow, etc. on your radar too then, right? had nothing to do with what you saw out of your eyes regarding cam and stafford....just their age. right?

you can't have it both ways.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I would sure love to see the Calculations you did to obtain those numbers... :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused:

People seem to forget exactly how injury-prone Schaub has been. He has now had 3 seasons in which he was hurt for significant time, and 2 where he stayed healthy... Even if it isn't Peyton, we need another QB. It's crazy to assume Schaub is gonna be just fine. Many athletes NEVER return to their prior form after a Lisfranc injury. But go ahead guys, roll with Schaub. He'll just keep letting us down and choking in the big games. (OR GET INJURED!!!!!!)

6. Bigdaddy210121

If Manning is healthy and the Colts say bye...you go for it..sign Manning..try to get R. Wayne here also...might come cheap knowing he still be with Manning..and to be on a team that would be scary awesome..picture..if healthy..Top 5 QB..Top 3 RB and the best 1-2 punch..Top WR core..maybe Johnson could finally catch 10 TD's in a season..Trade Schaub for a pick..The Texans have a 4-6 year window to win now..You take the 2011 Texans and add a healthy Manning and Wayne..your going to the Super Bowl..maybe even run the table getting there...

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont like Peyton now, look even if he is heathy enought to play, he will be rusty, and would need a year to get back in game form.
    Look Brady in 2008 he had a knee injury, and in 2009, he still looked rusty, and afraid on having another hit, that would make him go IR again.

and then other issue is the money, if we sign peyton, mario williams is gone, another good CB (besides Joseph) is gone. I dont think Reggie Wayne would sgin for cheap, because thats why he may not return to the Colts, because he wanted more money, you would have to trade Schaub for drafts picks or not a good player.

and if Peyton gets a hit, and he is done for his career, then all the effort you did, and all the players you let walk away to get him, would be worthless.

Also I dont know if Manning would give the ball to Foster most of the times, look Favre in Minnesota, he had AP, but still changed the call in the huddle, and threw a pass.

Also why people say schaub is more injury prone that stafford?
    in the last three seasons schaub played 42 games, in the last three seasons stafford played 29 games.
    and this years injury, was a fluke, haynesworth fell on him on a QB sneak.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this, but it all depends on what doctors say

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has also averaged 11 games in three of last five seasons. So do you like 40% chance he is healthy or the 60% chance he is hurt?

That is the problem with numbers you can use them any way.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For Manning to be effective he has to be able to survey the field, quickly and completely, pre-snap and on the move, even looking off safeties to come back to receivers. I don't think you can do that with fused vertebrae.

11. The Cat

Why would you go back that far? It's pretty well-established in sports that the past two to three years is all that's relevant when it comes to a player's injury history. In late 2007, I could've said Yao Ming played in 80 or more games in three of his last five seasons. Doesn't mean it's an accurate assessment of his injury risk going forward.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

really think romo is better than schaub? im not even sure matt ryan is better than schaub.

13. justafriend

justafriend Member

Romo and Schaub are both better than Ryan. Check Ryan's home/away splits for proof. He's a solid game manager type, but greatly benefits from playing 9+ dome games in a year.

14. The Cat

Schaub's QB ratings the last four years: 92.7, 98.6, 92.0, 96.8
    Ryan's QB ratings the last four years: 87.7, 80.9, 91.0, 92.2

Schaub has been better every single season.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

as a gm/coach you always look to improve your roster. it's that simple.

16. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

If Eli wins another one next week do you folks think this could cause Peyton to accept a less than market value on a new contract if he thinks it will help him win another one? How competitive is he with his brother?

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

THat posters ranking could be flawed, but realistically Schaub could be around 8th - 11th, when it comes to overall QB rankings.

He's definitely not in the first group:
    Rodgers, Brady, Manning #1, Brees, and Big Ben. (5)

This group is where it's questionable:
    Manning #2, Rivers, Romo, Ryan, Stafford, Vick, Schaub, Dalton, Cutler, Newton, and Fitzpatrick.

Those are some good QBs in the 2nd group, while the first six or so have had several playoff appearances and are outstanding playmakers. Schaub is lacking something they have, I just cannot put my finger on it.

18. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Championships.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You’re grasping. Schaub has four years of playing at an elite level; he’s a proven commodity. I know exactly what I’m going to get when he steps on the field. Stafford and Newton each have a single terrific season under the belt – was it a fluke? Will the NFL catch up to them? I would like to see them do it again. If they do, I have no problem putting either ahead of Schaub because of their age.

The other guys you listed are garbage and not part of this discussion.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He also can't be retired, which he will be once the season starts....which of course will render this entire thread (and all of cardpire's posts) completely moot.

1 person likes this.