1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[statesman] “Cowboys Classic.” Texas vs UCLA @Arlington

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 10, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...horns/entries/2011/11/10/texas_ucla_agre.html

Texas, UCLA agree to Cowboys Stadium game

By Richard Tijerina | Thursday, November 10, 2011, 04:13 PM

Texas and UCLA have agreed to play each other at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington on Sept. 13, 2014.

The game’s being dubbed the “Cowboys Classic.”

It’ll replace Texas’ originally-scheduled road game at Arkansas on that same day. The Texas-Arkansas game has been moved to Sept. 11, 2021.

Texas and UCLA have met six times, but this is the first matchup scheduled for a neutral site.

Each school has won three games in the series, with the Longhorns claiming this year’s game, 49-20, at the Rose Bowl.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm confused as to what this has to do with cowboys or how this is classic.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Jerry wants to use his building to have college games. They've been doing it for a while.

Michigan and Alabama will be doing it next year.

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I know, but the name seems... odd. Considering the teams participating.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Notre Dame and Arizona State will be doing it in '13.

They have nothing to do with the area.

And it's called Classic because the NCAA said you can only play 11 games or some rule like that. They changed it though.

Jerry just wants to w**** his name out.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Oh, so Jerry names the games? And they're all called the "Cowboys Classic"? Weird, but considering it's Jerry Jones, I'm not surprised. Nice treat for horn fans in Dallas, though.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

it's kinda like all those crappy early season ncaa tourneys that call themselves classics.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

So they basically took out a tough road game for a "neutral site" in Dallas....

Clever

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yes, because obviously ut would never ever ever ever play an away game against a tough opponent.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

from the title, i came in here expecting a Cowboys/Texans preseason match up every year or a UT - OK State match up. uh, nope. and then i read it will be a "neutral" site for a game in 2014 against a team in California. yea, Cowboy stadium for UT will be about as neutral as Fox News on election night.

11. Major

Major Member

So it turns out our schedule wasn't totally booked up making it impossible to play A&M... :)

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea because I'm sure these deals are initiated, agreed to and announced within a months time. Maybe the schedule isn't full but using MackBrown.com as the source for what games have been agreed to seems unreliable. I don't think there is an auto push to the site when ever a deal is made. It seems much more likely they were waiting for the dust to settle on the realignment mess.

I'm not saying that it is definitely full. I'm saying there is no way you can point to any website and say that it definitely isn't.

14. Major

Major Member

Oh absolutely - I'm sure they were probably in talks with UCLA in the past. But it does mean that we're not opposed to moving games around to accomodate other games if we really want to.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's true. I still agree with the administration about not playing A&M anymore. **** em. They will suffer more in recruiting with no away games in Texas. This isn't a Texas issue. Baylor said the same thing as did Kansas whose rivalry with Missou is one of the oldest in sports.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You don't think this has a little to do with Arkie having to make room for ATM on their schedule.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

exactly, they're just trying to be diplomatic about it.

18. Major

Major Member

Has the SEC announced a 9 game schedule? I was under the impression they were planning to stick with 8 with 6 games in division and 2 cross-division games, but I have no idea.