1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big East considering to add Houston?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by houston#1, Oct 10, 2011.

?

Do you want Houston to join Big East?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

There's no rumor. He's not going anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  2. AFS

AFS Member

whats the source?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I want UH in the Big 12...but I'm resigned to the likelihood that's not going to happen. Given that, I hope they get an invite to the Big East, because it's clearly a step up.

As for Sumlin, his name appears in virtually every article I've seen speculating on a replacement. Here are a couple:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/229...ach-chris-petersen-sonny-dykes-kevin-suml.htm

3. Kevin Sumlin

Sumlin's name is being thrown around as the most logical and practical candidate. He's an up-and-comer and has Houston at 6-0 and the words "Houston" and "BCS" in the same sentence. The Cougars are ranked No. 25.

Then again, maybe it's not logical. According to The Houston Chronicle, Sumlin's buyout if he leaves before Jan. 2 is $600,000. Combine that with Stoops' $1.4 million buyout, and this is becoming a pretty expensive coaching hire for the Wildcats.

But Sumlin runs the same offense and is a logical fit. Both sides would transition well.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...-top-target-to-replace-mike-stoops-in-tucson/

Kevin Sumlin, who has Houston at 6-0, has to be the first call. Spare me pipe dreams names like Chris Petersen (who cares if he’s friends with the AD?), any of those hot SEC assistants or Urban Meyer. Why even waste time with them? I don’t know if those guys would return Arizona’s call.

[Enter obligatory Mike Leach commentary here ... just a guess, he'll tell Arizona to be patient because he's going to be waiting for bigger and better jobs to open - like UCLA and Georgia; I can't see the Pirate at Ohio State, but stranger things have happened.]

Sumlin knows offense (he spent time at Oklahoma St. and Oklahoma – ironically, under Stoops’ brother, Bob). Tucson is a party school with low academic standards – that should make recruiting easy. (Sure, it’s kind of close to Afghanistan Mexico, but the fence is going up soon, right?) When it comes to producing high school stars, Arizona’s nowhere near Florida, Texas, California or New Jersey, but there are usually one or two Top 100 recruits from the state every year.

Sumlin signed a lucrative contract in January, 2010, but his buyout is only $600,000 if he leaves before Jan. 2, 2013. When you combine the $1.4 million buyout of Stoops and the Sumlin buyout, you’re looking at $2 million before you even start talking about Sumlin’s new deal.

Fact that may or may not be worth anything: The last Houston coach to get hired by another D1 program has found success. Art Briles is doing extremely well at Baylor.

1 person likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

In his shoes, it makes sense to leave now. He's had consistent success here. Most of it under what I would consider the old regimes offense and players. He was able to hold that transition from Briles and will take that knowledge with him, so I give him credit for holding it together, something John Jenkins was unable to do and he was an insider. I think he'll do good no matter where he goes, as long as keeps running a similar show. If I was Sumlin I'd get while the gettin is good. It's not likely to get any better than this for a couple of years. This is definately the time to go. I would not blame him. I'd thank him for coming in here and keeping the good things, trying to change the bad things.

Will it matter to us? I Think only if the new guy changes the offense. But I think we'll likely hire someone who runs a similar offense due to our recent successes. Run and Shoot type guys are still out there and available. Piland has a lot to learn though. He didn't look to comfortable out there.

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

As long as there are AQ and non-AQ conferences, any time you have a non-AQ team's coach doing well, he will automatically be mentioned as a candidate for an AQ job opening, no matter if it makes any sense or not. In Sumlin's case, it makes none. He just got a new contract that is quite favorable, and he has zero West coast ties. The next job Sumlin will take will likely be at a school in what was once the Big 8 or what is now the Big 12, with a very small possibility afforded to the SEC West.

#25 DonnyMost, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not remotely interested in seeing UH lose that guy to a pac school. My vomit will vomit.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think your vomit's vomit is safe, then. Thankfully there are few, if any, heartland schools hurting for a coach at the moment. I could definitely see him coaching at A&M, OSU, or either of the Kansas schools, though. I give a little bit of rope to Arkansas, too. He did spend a little time up in the Midwest, so Purdue/Indiana/Northwestern have crossed my mind as well.

8. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

UH is 6-0 and ranked #25. We are #1 in passing yards in NCAA so far. Recent football success and basketball is starting to improve. We will get new stadiums soon. We are a tier-One school and 45,000 students will attend in few years. There are so many good things about UH, and that Big East should immediately invite UH.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

^I'll go ahead and correct you before someone else does, we're not Tier 1 yet except for Carnegie Research.

The campaign for the BCS has started, though.... http://www.houstonalumni.com/uh4bcs/

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I can see the Big East bringing in UH. Texas is a big market and UH would bring in something. They need markets for that next negotiation period. The concern would be if adding a lot of conference USA schools would put their AQ BCS in danger.

It's a shame the Mountain West fell apart. Utah, BYU, TCU and Boise would have been a good conference.

1 person likes this.
  11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I heard there will be an announcement tonight regarding MWC-CUSA merger. Hmm... Big East or MWC-CUSA merger? Seems like now it is tough to choose which conference UH should join. Personally, I would want UH to join Big East only if Boise States and Air Force join BE. What do you guys think?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Big East could lose its bid in the near future. Merger is fun. Go with that for CFB's sake.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Big East is inviting Boise State, UCF, Air Force and Navy.

I think the Big 12 will add Louisville (which could open a spot up for Houston) as well as BYU and possibly either West Virginia or Boise State if Missouri bails.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

The Big 12 will never add UH because UT and OU are scared those big time Houston recruits will stay right at home. We heard the bull s*** how they didnt want another Texas school but they add TCU. Bunch of cowards if you ask me.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Big East does have Auto AQ status thru 2013.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pcggr_23WJU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pcggr_23WJU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This will help for Hoops for UH.