1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] US friendlies vs. Costa Rica & Belgium

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Sep 2, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Great first half by the US vs Costa Rica tonight. Just need to finish. It's the team we all knew they could be with the right coaching. Quick passing, aggressive with and without the ball, and playing very well defensively.

I like the lineup, too. Is it just me or does Edgar Castillo look a lot like Demarcus Beasley? Built almost exactly like him, too.

Next Tuesday is at Belgium (1:30 pm Central on ESPN). Sounds like Donovan won't be going but Dempsey will be there. It will be Klinsmann's first look with Dempsey on the field.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, they are looking good, was dissappointed in Donavan, he missed a pretty easy shot early and then passed out of a breakaway, got to take that shot.

DD

3. leroy

He was over-thinking on a couple of those. Sometimes, you just put your head down and to goal.

I'd love to see Klinsmann schedule more road games. Get them into Europe and South America. Make things more uncomfortable to get ready for qualifying. Find whatever country not in CONCACAF that has the worst fields and go play there. When you have to play games in Saprissa Stadium that could be the difference between qualifying or not, make sure your players are comfortable playing in hostile atmospheres on fields that would be too crappy for bombing ranges in most places.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

we suck again.

5. leroy

Kind of fallen apart in the 2nd half. Costa Rica has been dirty all night and the young US team has fallen into the trap.

The ref has been generally terrible tonight but at least he didn't fall for the CR keeper's stupidity.

6. DaDakota

Impatient, and no speed up top....I like Shea and Rogers off the bench.....Shea is out of gas, and Rogers first touch is really hard, he rarely controls the ball cleanly...

Team is out of sync.

DD

7. DaDakota

oh, one more thing our crosses suck, way too high and lacking pace.

DD

8. leroy

Agreed...the crossing has been terrible tonight.

9. DaDakota

Man, Costa Rica plays dirty soccer, lots and lots of fouling.

But the USA fell apart, and I thought Donavan was really poor, especially his service on the fly, too often going back instead of forward.

And I am just not sold on Altidore, I know he is a holding forward, but I prefer speed up top, and Altidore just doesn't have that touch that I like from the holding front, but to be fair, he needs a 2nd up top with him, he is not good enough to play as a lone striker.

DD

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Quick thoughts

Positives
    -torres, looked very promising, imagine him and holden together
    -the chances were there, especially in the beginning. Just need to finish them
    -Altidore. Enough Said. He is going to be the future.

Negatives
    -The defense wasn't in sync at times. Granted this will come with chemistry.
    -Castillo's touch is just horrid.
    -One lapse and it cost them, like always.

11. DaDakota

What is it you see in Altidore, I mean I see his strength, and he has some good IQ out there, but I don't see the speed I would like to see, he did look better with Aguera(sp?) though, I think maybe we need a speed guy to play up top to compliment his strength.

DD

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Altidore has consistently shown improvement to me, and I feel like with the right pieces around him he could blossom special player (he is still only 21). Maybe that's Agudelo playing forward with him, or even Dempsey. Which definitely has me excited to see how Dempsey and Holden can fit into the system. As for what I see in Altidore is his ability to score from range and in the box as well as his IQ. All the speed in the world won't get you anywhere if you don't know what to do with it. But what is most important when playing with one forward is the ability to hold up a ball with his strength which you mentioned, and vision to see others. He played a major part in Donovan's miss if you recall.

13. DaDakota

I can see your point, I just think if you are going to play him you need to compliment him with a speed striker.

I also can not wait to see Torres, Dempsey, Donavan, Holden and Bradley out there or on the pitch together....

I would like to see some speed up top to compliment Altidore....disappointing result, but there is promise.

DD

14. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

You don't necessarly need speed up top when playing with one forward. It then becomes the job of your wings to become involved and the speed should be there. If Altidore can hold up the ball and play a streaking wing in space that could be deadly.

15. DaDakota

I think playing one forward is a losing strategy overall.

DD

16. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Altidore was excellent against Costa Rica. Great hold up play and great job putting himself in dangerous positions. Tailed off a bit in the second half but so did the whole team. Torres was MOTM.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I just wish Altidore's ball skills were better.

18. DaDakota

IMO, one of the problems with the US team is that their best player Donavan is a complimentary player.

They need a finisher up front, someone that Donovan can compliment with his set up passes.

DD

19. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I feel like that is where Dempsey comes in. He is amazing aerially and also has the ability to beat a defender on the dribble. He is the perfect compliment to Donovan, who was just off last night.

20. DaDakota

Yeah, I like Dempsey a lot too, but he is risky as a player, something that fits this new look, be interesting to see him against Belgium.

DD