1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about "DUNKING"?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MLC1MGC2ALC3, Nov 10, 2002.

1. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

How do compare the "DUNKING" ablity of today modern players to the legends of the past?Example: Best Dunk I have seen in my life - Dr. J coming from the side, craddle the ball with one arm simi-windmill DUNK. THE MASTERS FROM THE PAST WIN HANDS DOWN !!!!!

2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I think players today have better dunking ability, but of course you gotta credit the old schoolers for gettin the ball rollin. But damn, Carters dunks to win the comp that year were vINSANE! T-Mac's done some pretty crazy dunks too...and i believe there are many more to come. But yeah, Dr. J, MJ, and the rest could definately hold their weight pretty decently vs the newer guys when it comes to dunks.

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

There are more great dunkers today. Vince, Steve, and TMac. The legends were great, but the new guys are awesome.

4. drapg

drapg Member

me thinks "DUNKING" is good.

5. drapg

drapg Member

6. Asian Sensation

I think the legends dunks were amazing. That is how they are labeled the legends. Michael Jordan from the free thow line will always be a classic. Everybody knew Dominique Wilkins was a fierce dunker. Clyde Drexler in his games from lates 80's and early 90's had some amazing dunks. What's different today is the players add more flash after the dunk i.e. hanging on the rim ... tapping backboard... throwing fists after dunking raising there arms and what not.

#6 Asian Sensation, Nov 10, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2002
  7. JamesC

JamesC Member

I love dunking. Its a great way to show off your athleticism. I'm only 6'1 and I can dunk vertically. The "Legends" achieved their status buy showing off their freakish athleticism in a time where it wasent as prevalent in the game. My favorite old school dunkers are: Daryl Dawkins, Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins, and Michael Jordan.

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Dunking is definately cool. One of the most exciting things to see in an NBA game. I would rate it as a very close second in game/momentum swinging capabilities to stuffing someones shot back in their face. I'm talking about an in your face dunk, not an uncontested one on the break.

There are definately more dunkers with flair today. No matter what anyone says, Vince is the best today, by a fair margin.

All time best dunker I've seen:
    In a photo finish(100-99) Dominique over Vince by the slimmest of margins. Man had as much flair as anyone today except Vince, but had oh so much more power.

Dominique also had the best dunk I have ever seen in my life(totally ferocious). What sucks is that it was against us(Ralph Sampson).

He drove straight down the middle of the lane, Ralph came over and jumped to meet him at the rim, Dominique turned sideways as he was in mid-air to meet him with his left side, absorbed a hard foul from Ralph, brought the ball over his right side, hung in mid-air for what seemed an eternity, then brought the ball back with TWO hands in,over, and through Ralphs' face. Hands down the most vicious and spectacular/demoralizing dunk I have ever witnessed.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think today's dunkers are better. But they have less to work with. Back in the day, when dunking was first becoming popular, the great dunkers could do anything and it would be new and original. Now there are many dunks which are associated with certain old school dunkers, so the young players can't do them without being considered a ripoff. And yet, the young players still manage to come up with amazing, original dunks every year.