1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] JJ Abrams/Spielberg Super 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, May 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Outlier

Outlier Member

This movie was TERRIBLE. I hated the group of kids. Couldn't care less about them. If this was more Jurassic Park than it was Stand By Me, it would have been 10 times better. But it was total crap, the storyline centered around the kids was boring as hell, there was no charm about them, they were just flat out annoying little brats. Thumbs down. Go watch First Class instead.

2 people like this.
  2. Outlier

Outlier Member

BTW I hated the mystery element of the alien. I hated it in Cloverfield, and I hated it here. I understand how it shows the POV of the characters, but movie-wise it doesn't thrill me or anything of the sort. Don't recommend this movie at all.

1 person likes this.
  3. VanityHalfBlack

Hahhahahahahaha..... In the trailer it seemed like they're trying a little too hard to bring that magic the kids in the 80's brought in those Amblin Picture movies, lol... I still want to see this one though.... Oh, kinda have to agree anytime you have kids in a movie nowadays, it's going to suck balls, lol...

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I thought it was an okay movie, but it definitely didn't have the charm of a Goonies or ET. Goonies was way funnier, and ET was just a better movie.

Go see it, but don't set your expectations too high.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just curious- when was the last time you saw ET or Goonies? I ask because I've seen them recently and while they are still awesome, seeing them from an adult perspective is different than when you were a kid.

So if you're comparing a magical kid experience to an adult-skewed viewing session, it may be apples to oranges.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I was hoping someone would mention this, as I was very curious about this too

Good to know, I'll pass on this movie

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

High entertainment value. I liked the story and really liked the special effects. I thought it was a great movie.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Well, to counter the absolutely absurd negative reviews:

This was a GREAT movie. Absolutely note-perfect. Not a weak moment, and far from being annoying, the kids are real and well-written, and not cliches. Some strong tear-jerker moments, amazing outstanding action sequences, and genuinely funny moments.

Do not hesitate to take your kids to see this, do not hesitate to see this movie. Already wanting to see it again, this time maybe in XD. It's that good.

9/10

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed on all counts. The movie was effing great. Very reminiscent of early Spielberg at his best (reminded me a great deal of the feel of "Close Encounters") but still feels fresh and different, with more thrills and explosions (in a good way). And the kids were really, really good. Kyle Chandler was compelling, as always. Great acting all around. Very highly recommended.

10. seanluu

seanluu Member

move is mint.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

didn't really like it .

was meh

5/10

12. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Liked it. 7/10

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dude this movie was not good. I couldn't believe how bad it was with Abrams and Speilberg involved. The acting particularly by the children was very good and the effects were very good but the movie was just not put together well at all. This movie basically takes elements of films like ET, Goonies, Close Encounters, Stand By Me, and Alien and smashes them all together. Not only was there a total lack of any originality, it was pathetic how much they were trying to create some retro 80's Spielberg classic. If you've never seen any of these films then you might enjoy this movie but anyone over 15 years old has probably already seen this movie.

14. Wakko67

It wasn't original by any means and had its flaws, but you didn't enjoy it at all? Just for some perspective, what did you think of Avatar?

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I really enjoyed it less and less as the movie went on. I was really hoping to like it when I went into it but it was all down hill after the train wreck which I thought was a very cool scene. I thought Avatar was a Dances with Wolves alien style but the effects in that movie were pretty amazing so it didn't bother me so much.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just saw it tonight. i thought the relationships between the children were very well developed and carried the movie. the main reason i liked it was the fact that they kept the "mystery" of the film for almost an hour before they revealed what was going on. don't let that scare you though, it was entertaining all the way.

definitely worth seeing.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I'm not planning to see the movie so can someone spoiler me what the thing is in the train wreck?

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE:
    an alien the military caught when it crash landed on earth. all it wants to do is fix his ship to get off the planet but the military is preventing it from doing so. alien is mad.

Rep me if you like ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Wakko67

I was the opposite on the mystery aspect. I was getting annoyed after an hour or so still not knowing exactly what was going on. It was almost like two separate movies with the last 30 minute monster part totally different from the kids story.

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

My thoughts exactly... when they showed that train wreck i thought it was gonna get better, War of the Worlds style, but it kept going back to the kids POV which I hated.