1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wolves Open to Move No. 2 Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKCITY, May 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Member

Minny has waited so long for Little Ricky that I doubt he can be pried away from them. As for grabbing the number two pick, it would definitely make the rebuilding official.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Derrick Williams....

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9KfE-fOB-9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If they are willing to give it up for anyone on the team not named Kyle Lowry or Kevin Martin then definitely make it happen.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Goodby Scola. :(

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I don't see anyone buying mid 1st rounders in this draft. But the early 2nd might be worth some value. Martin + #38 for #2.

6. worzel gummidge

They're loaded at the 4 spot. They're supposedly after a starting? veteran C.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I thought Kevin was a fan favorite... And yall wanna sentence him to life without the possibility of parole...Yall cold blooded...All the guy did was keep us respectable and yall thank him by packaging him to Minny for some average unknowns!!!! SMH

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No Rocket is more veteran than C Brad Miller. Hmmm...

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/26832339

David Kahn thinks Darko is on his way to becoming an allstar. If they are looking for a veteran they are looking for a SG. Probably an efficient one who can play off the ball to score off of Beasley and Love. If only there was one of those around.

10. AFS

AFS Member

Lets get it done. We could use some more athleticism on this team and Derrick Williams has it. He could play the 3.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Darko is not a bad center. They really like him too, but he's not horrible. He just didn't live up to his hype is all.

One area that jumps out at me with Minny is SG,PG spots. They really don't have much of a backcourt and the Rockets are loaded there with Martin, Lee, Lowry, and Dragic.

Can't see the Rockets trading Lowry, I feel he is the teams best player right now...but Martin sure. Makes a lot of sense to trade Martin there and a lot of sense for them to want Martin but still...if they are willing to trade down they can probably get a better offer too...could take a lot. Maybe even Martin+Patterson? We are talking about moving up from 14th to 2nd afterall.

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is all making too much sense. Therefore, it won't happen. I'd rather trade Martin straight up (with salary matches) for the #2, and keep the #14 and attempt to move #14/23 to move up to #10 for a Euro big.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

some kinda package of lee + scola + hayes + whatever draft picks for # 2 + pekovic + crap they have to dump

we take derrick williams with the #2 pick

lowry/dragic
    martin/dragic/twill
    williams/bud
    patterson/hill
    pekovic/yao?/thabeet/miller

maybe?

don't know if that could work or if minny would even consider it... but I'd like to see that starting lineup for us. good mix of offense and defense.

Also I feel like that would be pretty good mix of veterans for minny to mix in to their lineup to a run at the playoffs.

but i'm just dreamin...

14. The Situation

The Situation Member

Just don't trade Martin or Lowry

15. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

bye bye houston rockets

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Some average unknowns? I suggested trading him for the 2nd overall pick.

I have nothing but respect for KMart but fact is, if this team does not acquire a star, we could potentially be stuck in mediocrity for a long time.

The 2nd overall pick has more potential to turn this team around than KMart does. To win, you need to take risks, and this Derrick Williams kid seems like a risk worth taking.

KMart is a great scorer but does give up alot on the defensive end. He isn't a guy who takes over games in the 4th quarter. And quite frankly, that is what this team needs. Plus, Courtney Lee can be a capable starter in this league with his defense/shooting (he was a capable starter in the NBA prior to becoming a Rocket).

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the most you can buy a draft pick for is $3M, which usually gets you as high as a late first rounder. So with this draft class being weak relative to other years, this might be the year that your $3M gets you a higher pick than #28. Unfortunately, that means a team would be paying $3M for the right to pay more money to the higher pick and getting less value than you would in other years. So, while I agree with you I was just making a point about the versatility of picks. Of course, with the labor dispute looming, there probably won't be many teams flaunting a bunch of extra cash laying around to buy picks with.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess we'll see. Hard to know what Minny exactly wants.

Are they trying to just improve their team with a more than solid vet like Martin? If so then that works.

Are they trying to bring in a bigger name vet though like Iggy? Granger? Teams are going to really want the #2 pick if it is being offered. Thats why I think just Martin is not enough, especially if another team is offering a better player.

But I think that 2nd move is something I can see the Rockets doing. Just moving up to 10 would be great depending on whose there.

A combo of vets could work, I guess it just depends on exactly what kind of vet/s are they looking for. But just looking at their team SG is the weakest link there.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lets be realistic. With Kevin Love on the team, they will have zero interest in Scola or Pat (tho I am not expecting nor do I want Pat to be traded). If they had interest in those guys, they would probably just draft Williams.

They have a glaring hole at SG. They want veteran help. Martin does make sense imo.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Why not martin? We need to take continue this youth movement