1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Lottery (UPDATE : Rockets get 14th pick)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, May 12, 2011.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

nope im an nba fan who likes multiple teams. There are tons of people here like that. Open your eyes

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

That 4th pick Cleveland owns should definetly be Morey's target in trying to move up somehow.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Gotcha. Thats cool. Just wondering lol.

But yeah, I think our roster is better than other mediocre teams. Not that it is saying much. Couple of solid youngsters, capspace upcoming. One star away from being a threat.

Hopefully the new coach can either be really good and make the team really good and we get a star through FA (this offseason or next) or the new coach is really bad and makes the team really bad causing us to get a star through next years lotto.

We'll see.

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Kantner seems like a Utah type of pick at #3

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would target the 9th,10th and 11th picks with the 14th and the 23th. All of them seem somewhat realistic targets.

6. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

So where's the update?

7. worzel gummidge

If there's no superstars in this draft do teams at the top of the draft want to lock into MLE sized contracts for players who may not even contribute in their first few years?

I think Kanter's a dangerous pick. He's injured, sat out a year when players his age catch up with each other, and all he has to show is a u16 showcase game where his body had simply developed quicker than the other Euros playing in that game.

8. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The question is, is anyone going to be available at 9-11 that wouldn't be available at 14, who is worth trading up for?

9. saleem

True.

10. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

The Clippers are idiots.

11. saleem

Maybe so,but it might be worth looking into.

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course. Morey looks into everything. I hope there is someone worth moving up for, and that Morey can pull it off.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, what would it take for the Rockets to move up to that #4 spot? Cleveland needs a lot of woork and could probably use an extra player, but don't know how excited they are about this draft. And Morey is going to have to dump that #23 somehow since there is no room on the roster for two more players.

Would something like Jordan Hill, #14 and #23 for #4 and Ryan Hollins work? Possibly throw in a future pick? Is there any recent precedent for moving from the 14 range to 3 or 4? Just curious, since I figure Morey is going to be working pretty furiously for the next month.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Blame Les, I highly doubt that Morey has the power everyone around here seems to think he has.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Way to ignore the huge salary difference between those two contracts.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Right cause trading 2 good role players for a potential franchise changer in Derrick Williams is crazy. :rolleyes:

Of course just like anyother draft pick his a gamble, but the type of gamble I'd take to get us out of mediocrity, and I'm sure Morey would take this gamble too.

17. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Lol @ everyone mad at Morey for not getting the Clippers pick. Hindsight is a wench, you idiots.

18. Roxs-Redemption

Lucky its still a lotter pick, better than without a pick in the first round...

19. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Basically, he's white.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In 2005, Utah traded #6, #22 and #23 just to move up to #3 to select Deron Williams.

By that standard (the most recent example I can think of), I'm not so sure that package gets it done.