1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Doc Rivers agrees to Five Year Extension with Celts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, May 13, 2011.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Celtics will be fine next year, If they can find a starting C. They still have championship players at every position, they just didn't show it with Rondo (The Motor) hurt...

Dalembert would be a score for them, and they would be right back in the mix...

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

$30 million over 5 years (if he stays that long) is a lot of cake. Doc has it made in the shade.

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

Ray Allen retires...Austin Rivers comes in!

4. bongo33

bongo33 Member

The only people signed in the summer of 2012 are Pierce and Rondo, I think they can land a big name FA

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

This deal was interesting to me on two fronts.

First, I wonder what happened that made Rivers change his mind from walking away to at least in principle returning for five more seasons.

Also, if he coaches for the full duration of the deal, he will also be the coach during what seems to be an inevitable rebuilding period.

I don't think Boston is a front runner to get Dwight Howard, but having Rivers committed to coaching there long term certainly doesn't hurt those efforts.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I can give you 35 million reasons.

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I don't think the Celts rebuilding is inevitable. They have a GM that is a very risky GM. I could see him making some moves that could keep them alive for two or three more years. I could also see him blowing up the team and getting some nice pieces for the future.

8. Roxs-Redemption

I thought he will retire by the end of next year :eek:

9. lalala902102001

The Celtics will regret this move. Their current squad is done, as in finished for good. Their championship window is shut. Doc is not a coach to preside over a rebuilding project.

10. worzel gummidge

Doc Rivers knows how to play it come contract time.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't know, he had an Orlando squad competing when they had nobody on their roster, pre Tmac and Grant Hill.

I think Doc is an excellent coach, he can get a lot out of guys with less talent and he can get the talented players to buy in too.....a very good coach.

DD

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Seems more like Thibs was the heart of the Celts not Doc.

13. bongo33

bongo33 Member

I think in 2 years the Celts have the chance to have a great veteran bench if Paul, RAy and KG decide to take pay cuts as bench players