1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest BitTorrent Lawsuit Ever Filed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets R' Us, May 11, 2011.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Ironic movie title, considering the effort on this.

2. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Just delete the files from your hard drive... destroy the hard drive even!! Unencrypt your wireless connection and use the below excuse.

Defense: What if someone else is using your unencrypted wireless connection to do the downloading/sharing?

3. lean

lean Member

Dear Lawyers,

Congrats on filing your frivolous, BS lawsuit and imma let you finish, but the expendables was one of the worst movies of all time! of all time!

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Great movie!

Shame on you all for stealing it. Pay for the DVD so that producers can keep churning out fantastic movies like this.

5. worzel gummidge

If those downloaders buy blank media theyv'e already paid for it.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not sure how to respond. I dont know if you hit right on a single point, honestly.

Seriously. I'm not an industry apologist backer and puritan moralist. But the amount of .... "expendable" income that people spent on entertainment 15+ years ago compared to the expenditures on entertainment NOW, I'd say the consumers are getting a good bargain now.

Even if you're paying the SAME costs of 15+ years ago, you're still getting much more bang for the buck because there's a lot more freebies now legal or illegal handed out now along with the stuff you pay for. Its worth it to me to pay a little more for the extra sense of security and not having internet powers breathing down everyone's necks

7. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I downloaded it. Suck mah balls Nu Image.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If I leave my car unlocked and someone steals my laptop, I'm stupid and the police don't give a jit.

If I make a $50,000,000 dollar movie without having any way to secure it, the law assumes the people are crooks and sues everyone on the thinnest of proof, to keep the profit up.

The problem with owning things is, it is your responsibility to secure them. You can't just put your valuables out there on the street and expect people to walk by them. Put them in the right-of-way and they are in the public domain. If you want to own them, figure out a way to put them behind a lock and key (or GTFO).

1 person likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just because someone leaves valuables "available", doesn't mean it is OK or acceptable to steal them. The person taking that laptop is still a thief and the person having the laptop stolen is still a victim. The person illegally downloading the movie is still a thief.

Folks can try and justify their actions, but the bottom line is that with today's laws, they are still a thief.

10. Dubious

It must or otherwise law abiding people wouldn't do it.

You don't need a gun or a lock pick, no one runs up and says "don't take that", you don't even have to leave your own private domain.The information comes to you.

The fault lies with the film maker for making a product they can't secure. If they can't make money doing what they are doing maybe they should find another way of doing things.

#70 Dubious, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  11. VanityHalfBlack

They act like the movie is a property of the Queen Of England or something.. It's just a stupid B movie with old ass action stars and didn't one of them got knocked the F out recently in a UFC fight???

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No movie or song or software package comes to my computer for me to illegally download.

Anyone who illegally downloads stuff is not a 'law abiding' person.

13. VanityHalfBlack

So the Berne Act only applies to movies that are release and licensed in the States??
    I guess I'm fine with that most of the movies I watch anyways are out of the country and ****... If I wanted to watch a mainstream movie badly I just go to the theater and get a better experience there.. I can't stand staying at home watching a dvd or download **** on the internet, it's boring as ****!!!! How do you guys find the time?? I'm too busy banging 7 gram rocks and whores, sorry for my lifestyle...

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Pretty much downloaded all of HBO's last season via PB and BT. It just seems a little too easy and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've willingly paid for Cougartown and Rizzoli & Isles, so money's not an issue.

15. Dubious

Republican?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They do secure them. The downloaded format has obviously been ripped and converted through a process that any person off the street can't perform without prior knowledge and intent to circumvent.

Using your skewed analogy, it's like saying your glass windows aren't brick proof. I wasn't the one who threw it, but it's you lose your rights because I could get in easily and steal your valuables.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This is true. However, anyone who already bought the stuff in question should be allowed to download what they already paid for - it's not the fault of the consumer that DVD encryption makes format-shifting difficult for the layman (and illegal depending on your interpretation of the DMCA). Furthermore, the methods utilized by the MPAA/RIAA in hunting down these criminals are also arguably illegal (blanket subpoenas, extortion). Inasmuch as those entities have lobbied for (and gotten) ridiculous legislation enacted and extremely dubious legal precedents approved in order to maintain their rapidly crumbling outdated business models, I feel very little guilt in circumventing laws to make my opinions known.

The US citizen has the right to not only judge the defendent, but also the law under which he is being charged. If I think the purpose and intent of copyright is being abused, I think I have an obligation to make that known - one way or another.

18. Dubious

And, I don't leave my diamonds behind glass.

This lawsuit and all the other statistically insignificant propaganda is just a campaign to maximize profit from a flawed business model. The current movie business model uses transferable information because it is easy and cheap to re-sell. So cheap to sell that it is easy to get free. Doing business this way and just asking people not to take advantage of it is folly. You either accept the model for the money you can make from it, or you change the model.

It would certainly be possible to make it where movie files would only play on licensed machines or where a a code would have to be purchased to un-encrypt the information, but that would probably end up producing less revenue than the cheaper method with more piracy. It's not like the media companies haven't considered it.

Do you think it would be impossible to secure the credit card business? You could have pictures on the cards or thumbprint readers to clear transactions. But no, credit card companies know they will make more money by making credit transactions easier and just accepting the theft as a cost of doing business.

I don't download movies, but I think if I had the desire to, I wouldn't feel like I was doing anything wrong by accepting the information freely available on the internet into my private residence.

#78 Dubious, May 12, 2011
  19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If the consumer thinks the product is worth paying for then the consumer will pay for it. If not, they will take it for free assuming that such means to do so exists. Those who downloaded it via torrent would not have paid for it in theaters, and would not have bought the DVD. They may have rented it, but I don't think $1 from 17,000 people is going to effect the bottom line for any of these industries.

Hollywood didn't want video rental stores. Now that they are less profitable they dream they could have the old model back. It's too late. Accept it, and make something worth paying for.

Exhibit A:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fastfive.htm
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fast_five/

Exhibit B:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=expendables.htm
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_expendables/

#79 BEAT LA, May 12, 2011
  20. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Well most movies and especially TV shows come out up to months in other countries before we get them in Australia.. if they want me to stop downloading then allow me to watch these shows/movies at the same time as others. I could order shows like Dexter on DVD before they bothered putting it on TV here!