1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading for Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by acshen, Apr 24, 2011.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok, there's no point to getting DH if you give up KM in the process. Also that package is way too weak to get a player of Dh's caliber. You can mortgage the entire roster+all the picks for the next 5 years, and it still won't be enough to get DH, who is only 25 years old and is already the best big man in the L.

2. dianap07

dianap07 Member

he will end up there

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Only if the Magic can trust that Bynum's knee won't go kaput. I don't think they can at this point.

4. StanleyHartwell

Look at the horrific trades they did in the past. You are setting a high standard for Ottis. He's the guy who's willing to bet on Arenas and Turkoglu, which means he's willing to bet on anything.

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Well, we either have to empty the team for him, OR tank (or play the young guys for you "erererere i don't want to tank i want to play young players and lose" :rolleyes: bunch) and get a low draft pick.

Won't happen any other way.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lakers dont need him.....Bynum+Gasol+Odom>Howard .....all LA needs is the next great guard (CP3?)....Its called the circle of life (LA Laker version)

7. conquistador#11

If the team has like 12 wins around Feb, Orlando will love Morey's assets. That first round pick might be top 3 and everybody here says it's the best draft for incoming "superstars".

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't think It's going to be about what you can give the Magic as much as how much you are willing to take back (Bad contracts)

They have taken on so many God Awful contracts trying to help Howard:

Gilbert Arenas - Signed through 2013/14 making between $19-22 a year MILLION with NO team options.:eek:

Turkoglu- Also signed through 2013/14 making a bargain $10-12 Million [/Sarcasm] per with no team options.

JJ Redick- making $6 million for the next 2 years.

The Magic will most certainly try to attach a poison pill to Howard and I might consider doing it if we can keep talent like PPat here.

I'd take on Hedu's contract to get Howard. We need a starting 3 anyways.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He wouldnt be bad but I wouldnt start him...He needs the ball to be effective...He could come off the bench and work pick and roll with PPat...would make a great 2nd unit combo

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Exactly! I can't imagine the Magic giving up Howard without ridding themselves of Arenas' and/or Turkoglu's contract. If they demand someone also take Arenas, then I think there's no way the Rockets can work out that trade.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To parrot some folks... Orlando not going to trade him unless Howard forces them to. He doesn't necessarily need to demand to come to Houston, but he does need to demand out of Orlando. That makes it harder. But, it also means that we don't have to pay equal value, just more than everybody else.

Secondly, if Howard is leaving, Orlando needs to rebuild and they'd want to get rid of their big contracts to do so. So, the way to make a better offer than the field for Orlando is to not only give them assets, but to take on their big contracts -- either Arenas or Turkoglu. I can't imagine anyone willing to take on Arenas' contract. How bad do you want Howard?

Finally, I would do everything to not trade Martin to get Howard. He's perfect for the in-and-out game with Howard.

EDIT: Messing with the trade engine a bit. It's barely even possible to take on Arenas and Howard at the same time -- that's $34m in salaries. You pretty much have to include Martin and Scola and a bunch of other contracts to get there. It's probably possible to win out offering only to take Turk's contract. If Howard demands out.

#51 JuanValdez, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is there a rule or something that says you cannot trade back to back 1st rounders? [i.e. the Minnesota Rule or something]

Rocket River

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yes, you can not trade your own consecutive first round draft picks. It was a Cavs Owner/GM (Ted Stepien) in the early 80s that gave them away like candy.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You cannot trade your team's own first round picks in back to back years.

15. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

Dwight will be signing his next extension in NJ.

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Pretty much this. I think the Rockets will finish 2nd in another superstar race.

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

whatever it takes imo

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dwight Howard deserves better in life than to work for Les Alexander and Daryl Morey.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To be pedantic about it:

* It doesn't apply specifically to your own pick. You just can't go consecutive drafts without a pick. You can trade your own picks away if you know for sure that you have one coming to you from another team.

* It only applies to future picks. If a team right now didn't have a 1st rounder in the 2011 draft, they couldn't trade away their 2012 pick before the 2011 draft. Once that draft is over, they are free to trade out of the 2012 draft.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap99.htm#70

As it pertains to the Rockets trading for Howard this offseason (at or after the 2011 draft), I think we're at risk of not having a 2012 pick (if we make the playoffs and NY does not), so we wouldn't be able to trade our 2013 pick. But, we could hand over our 2011 haul, because it is in the past.

20. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

This first thing to get Dwight interested in coming to Houston, is get SVG when Orlando fires him, then get Dream to agree to work with Dwight during the offseason for 4-6 weeks.