1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New coach: Who do YOU want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Who to you want as the Rocket's next head coach?

1. Elston Howard

21 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Mike Budenholzer

73 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Jeff Van Gundy

164 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. Mike Brown

16 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Mario Elie

40 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. That douchebag from Butler

80 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. other (state who in comments)

39 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

2. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

1. JVG
    2. Sloan
    3. Stange that no one has mentioned Don Cheney, he was very successful as head coach, was able to build a great team.

3. seanluu

seanluu Member

Larry Brown will go to the pacers.
    Mike Woodson probably to the Rockets.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I really like JVG and I voted for him.

If this is really due to old school vs new school, JVG aint gonna mesh with Morey that easily. Wasn't he let go for roughly the same reasons as Adelman, anyways?

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Other

Ron freaking Jeromy

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Was going to ask where the "None of the above" button was on the poll. Decided to echo this.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"I ask people to have faith in the process and judge the results, not the name."

That sounds like the coach is decided, or at least it has been decided that whoever is chosen won't be a name commodity. So an assistant without HC experience is likely.

So I am now guessing Budenholzer or Turner. Maybe Casey if they think his experience in MIN wasn't enough to be considered a name.

8. houstonrockets0

Larry Brown is not going to the Pacers they are going to keep Frank Vogel.
    If we cannot get Larry Brown WHY NOT BRING BACK RUDY T???? 2 championships to JVG and Adelman's ZERO. The Rockets need a coach with a championship resume not Mike Woodson who became stagnant in Atlanta with a team with lots of potential.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bill Lambieer,Micheal Cooper, Jim Cleamons, or even Dwane Casey.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

How could you not want Budenholzer out of those choices?

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

why is JVG an option?

the guy will never ever be a Houston coach, Les didn't like him as much as he didn't like Rick

this poll is seriously flawed

first, Turner and Sikma are being considered and they aren't within the poll

secondly, where is Sloan

and again, JVG should not be an option

12. nwcougar1

nwcougar1 Member

Agree 100%!

JVG is "old school" and he couldn't get it done with two superstars on the roster. Plus, his offense was boring as hell.

If Les really wants someone that can develop and relate to players then he needs to take a long look at Elston Turner.

13. Landry92

Landry92 Member

I heard Mark Jackson's name ..

If Kahn wasnt stupid enough to hire him I dont think Morey will ?

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

JVG seems to be into Morey's stat's, I wouldn't count him out. We didn't have any talent when he was here, meaning no depth at all after Yao and Tmac.

Maybe Les now see's the error of his ways letting JVG go after watching Ricks defense.

Mark Jackson would be horrible, Maybe if I never had to hear him talk it would be ok.

Don Cheney although a nice guy I couldn't stand his coaching, I think his tenure as the Rockets coach was one of the hardest times for me.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I want that Douchebag from Butler!

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I've been thinking about this long and hard, and one name comes to mind that no one has mentioned. This guy is smart, young, and has a high basketball IQ. He's shown he is up to the task of running a team, but he's still a bit green. Who is he?

Steve Kerr

What? Steve Kerr you say? The choice is actually rather logical. Steve Kerr was a smart GM for the Suns and made some great moves (as well as a couple bad ones). He was let go by a miserly Starver, who is currently running that team into the ground. But why Kerr?

First and foremost Steve Kerr is intelligent. The guy knows the ins and outs of basketball. He has a good basketball instinct, but he would also be willing to embrace the statistical side of Morey. He would gladly read the pages upon pages of reports Morey shells out. He also has enough of a basketball instinct in him to know when to ignore Morey. He is the perfect guy to temper Morey's statistical side while still indulging it. He won't simply be a yes man to the front office.

Secondly he's young. The guy has a lot of basketball left in him, albeit on the bench in a suit. He's a bit unproven and green, but during the rebuilding phase the mistakes he makes in the initial stages will go unnoticed.

Thirdly, Steve Kerr has been coached by some of the greats. In the past two decades who would you say the most dominant coaches have been? Easy, Pop and Phil. Well I've got great news for you, Kerr is an alumni of both men's programs. Kerr can use the skills he acquired from those two men, learn from the way they taught and get through to our young talent. Aside from those two greats, do you know who else coached him? Lute Olsen. Yup, the guy has gone through the programs of some of the best programs in the NBA and NCAA. Which fits nicely into...

Lastly, Steve Kerr is a former Wildcat. Come on. That in itself should be enough.

Well why don't we just hire the guy today and get it over with? Not so fast brother. Steve Kerr is making the big bucks as an analyst. We need to lure him here. How do we do that? I'm not sure, I'm just the idea guy :grin:

Even if you think my insane ramblings make no sense, at the bare minimum I deserve a "thats what she said" joke reply...

17. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Pat Knight

18. returningfan

returningfan Member

I voted Mario - but would also like Elston.

Pardon, I don't have the foggiest idea who the photo is of in post 10.
    Please - who is he?

19. Audioout

Audioout Member

Actually, Steve Kerr very much came to my mind. I was skeptical when he took over the Phoenix Suns but was impressed with him there. I think he would be a pretty great choice actually.

20. Fiah

Fiah Member

Brad Stevens