1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rose's case for MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The award usually goes to the best player on the best team. It seems like the mitigating circumstances are

1. no clear cut "best player" on the team
    2. dramatic increase in wins
    3. being one of the top teams while sustaining substantial injuries

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

like i have said before, allen iverson officially changed the definition of MVP.

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Of course free throws matter. That's why people place less importance on fg% and more on ts%

When McGrady was here, he had a fg% of ~42% and a ts% of ~50%.
    Martin has a fg% of 44% and a ts% of ~60%.

And you really dont think people care?

4. t_mac1

take kmart's competition into perspective, his 44% fg is pretty damn elite primarily b/c he's a perimeter-oriented player. kobe bryant shoots 45%. kevin durant is shooting 46%.

like i said, if kmart shoots 39-40% for his fg%, i think he will be highly criticized even if he shoots the same number of fts with the same number of makes.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And you were wrong.

That year, Philly had the 2nd best record in the league and had a weak supporting cast. Iverson totally deserved it.

6. t_mac1

so can you tell me the justifications for why magic/bird/jordan won their MVPs?

they had a strong supporting cast (really strong). the bulls without jordan got the ECF and nearly got to the finals. magic and bird played with other HOFs. jordan played with a top 50 player of all time.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What's your point? Any perimeter player will be highly criticized if his percentage change in fg% is -10%.

8. t_mac1

rose has shot 40% since the all-star break. 45% before all-star break.

and yet his MVP hype has INCREASED since the all-star break.

anyways, im gonna stop. rose winning the MVP is a good media story and all that. it is what it is.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Magic/Bird generally led their teams to the best records in the league, and they were the undisputed leaders of their team.

You do realize there's a difference between ECF and ECSF, right? They were nowhere near the finals.

1 person likes this.
  10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What's with the misconception that Bulls went to the ECF without Jordan?

The Bulls were knocked out the second round without Jordan.

11. noize

noize Contributing Member

Wow, an amazing game by Rose with 17 assist which is a career high. Maybe its me but I think the refs are giving him some respect as of late since he has been getting to the line a lot in the last 5 games or so. He needs to stop shooting so many threes though.

12. t_mac1

my fault. ECSF was still a big deal without jordan, and they were close to going to the ECF.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

This thread is laughable. The OP is laughable.

1 person likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Now you just contradicted your whole argument about Rose

You made several points that Bulls will still be good without Rose, therefore he doesn't have as much impact to the team winning.

Now you are saying Jordan's bulls were also a contender without him? So MJ didn't deserve his MVP's either right, cuz they still went to the ECSM without him... hmm....

15. t_mac1

no, that IS my argument.

but everyone's argument for rose is his team will be lottery-bound without him and that's why he deserves the MVP. and nowadays, if you have a good supporting cast, it HURTS your MVP candidacy. in the case of rose b/c he has a "bad" supporting cast, it helps him tremendously.

i just bring up MJ as a case in point that you can win MVP despite a strong supporting cast (as also in the case of magic and bird) if you play at an MVP level (top 5 status for the year type of performances). you simply have to put forth MVP-TYPE OF PERFORMANCE--and shooting 40% since the all-star break simply does not meet that standard.

so what i'm saying is rose does have a really good supporting cast, esp a great defensive team + the best bench in the L, with a good offensive options in boozer and deng. he's not their everything. but i wouldn't say anything about his MVP candidacy if he was a more dominant offensive player, considering everyone says how he's their only offensive player.

there's a reason when a great player puts up a great performance, we say that's an MVP-worthy performance. what rose did tonight vs the bucks was an MVP-worthy performance. MVP-worthy performance means a "great" performance. if rose plays near like this every night, he is the MVP.

shooting 40% since the all-star break? not so much.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Bulls aren't the number 1 seed this year without Rose. PERIOD

Bulls aren't a top 5 team in the East without Rose this year. Period

17. ommy48

ommy48 Member

First of all I have watched every single game the Bulls have played this year, and anyone who says that DRose isn't the main reason the Bulls are where they are right now is a moron who has watched handful of his games and considers themseleves an expert because he can read boxscores. I love it when they cite the prowess of his teammates like Boozer and Noah or Deng, when neither Boozer nor Noah has played all that much this year, and even when they do play are hardly are the players they where last year. Noah has struggled mightily since his return, and Boozer has been putting up such bad performances that his ass has been sitting on the bench far more than normal because of his porous defense and diminishing offensive game. Without Derrick Rose that offense doesn't do jack ****, and everyone on that team and in the city of Chicago knows it.

Deng was invisible the beginning of the year until January hit when he started putting up more consistent efforts. But rest assured that none of Rose's teammates can get their shot off with any regularity or success without Rose's ass getting double and triple teamed ABOVE THE 3 POINT LINE just to get them wide open looks. The amount of tip in dunks on the offensive glass, or wide open threes and 15 foot jumpers that he creates for his teammates night in and night out is astounding. The opponent absolutely smothers Rose and gets away with a ton of contact that any other superstar in this league would get repeated trips to the line for. Rose earns 90% of his foul calls, and misses a half dozen each game as well, which inexplicably don't get called.

Last 5 Games 34.8 8.6-19.4 .443 2.0-5.6 .357 9.6-10.6 .906 3.6 8.8 0.2 0.2 2.2 2.6 28.8

Last 5 games 29 points, 9 assists, 44%fg, 91% FT, 36% 3pt, 4Rbs, on 19 shots, that's called efficient idiots.

And him avging 25, 8, 4 has only been done by 4 other players in NBA history.

Or how about the fact that he has lead his team back 16 times to win the game in the fourth quarter with clutch play after clutch play, this year.

18. ommy48

ommy48 Member

19. ommy48

ommy48 Member

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

For me, MVP is about how replaceable a player is. That is, put a different player in similar situations and would he provide the same result. And what Rose has done this year, IMO, is not something that only he can accomplish. Specifically, I feel Kobe, Lebron, Wade, even DWill can be just as effective in the same situation.

This isn't a knock on Rose. But the team feels like AI's Philly teams. When you're the only scorer on a team that's largely defensive oriented, your accomplishments become much more noticeable. But that doesn't make you better than other players. It just makes you stand out. For a counter-example, I do believe that what Lebron did with those Cleveland teams were literally irreplaceable. That no one else in the NBA could've done the same thing.

That said, there are no clear cut MVP this year. So I really wouldn't care whether Rose or Lebron or whoever wins.