1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need feedback for a lawn mower.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MiddleMan, Mar 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I think most people in the landscape business use Echo trimmers. At least that's what one of my friends in the landscaping business told me after I bough my piece of crap Craftsman line trimmer.

1 person likes this.
  2. rage

rage Member

Let's use an anology, in a perfect word, no one should never have any problem with an old car!

3. The Boz

The Boz Member

You can't go wrong with a Honda mower. My first one lasted 20 years. I"ve had my second one for 10 years. No need for elecric start. Starts on first or second pull evry time. Self propelled and ball bearing wheels a must.

As for gas trimmer, go with Echo. Do not buy Craftsman or Weedeater brands, you will regret it. Key thing on gas trimmer is the oil to gas mix ratio. Make sure you get it right or it will cause problems.

4. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

With 2 cycled engine tools (trimmers, edgers, chainsaws, etc...) there's only 3 brands that are worth owning.

Echo, Stihl, and Shindaiwa.

My father has a Shindaiwa trimmer that he bought in the late 80's that still cranks up on the first/second pull despite 1,000's of hours.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Stihl makes mostly 4-mix trimmers now. I vote for Shindaiwa because the spool is so much better.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DA2qoeToSL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

caseyh, i have to ask in all seriousness, why do you know so much about lawn mowers?

7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I need a lawnmower and a weed eater both of them stopped working at the same time. If anyone has a used one for sale let me know. Prefer from the ones recommended.

8. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I just purchased a Shindaiwa T242 Trimmer, thanks for the recommendations guys.

9. Bandwagoner

Nice trimmer, commercial grade engine. You are going to love the SpeedFeed 375 head.

I would like to suggest you get some premixed gasoline to run it on. All the gas they sell today has 10% ethanol which is bad for stability and could gum up the works in your trimmer no matter how well you prepare it for winter. Trufuel 50 is a premixed gas that has fully synthetic oil already mixed in at the perfect ratio. It has no ethanol and it also has fuel stabilizers in it.

Here it is on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/TruFuel-50Fuel-Pre-Mixed-50-Cycle/dp/B00455P948

But they sell single quart cans at Home Depot for around 5 dollars and that will likely be more than you need for the entire summer.

#29 Bandwagoner, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  10. MiddleMan

Thanks CaseyH, went to the HomeDepot to purchase some TruFuel but was wondering if my trimmer already includes the speed feed head and if I should stick with the .095 trimmer line?

11. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QkqS4Oa6_d8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have a Toro Recycler. I would have gone Honda but couldn't justify the cost. The Toro starts up every time and does a good job cutting and mulching. The weakest part is the self drive, but its almost completely flat so the drive systems isn't that critical.

My string trimmer is an Echo. Seems more Stihls are used by landscapers and they are a bit more expensive. But I had the Echo sitting in my garage for years, then rediscovered it, simply cleaning out the tank, replacing the filter and gas line, and replacing the spark plug (all parts that came in the Echo tune up kit). Second pull... bingo. I replaced the line with generic line which was a mistake. I have the bump head, some people like the single lines, but I have enough heavy weeds and lawn to make me think I would go through the lines too quickly.

One thing I may get someday is a power edger. I try with the string trimmer but never get it that straight.

13. Bandwagoner

Good move on the TruFuel. Depending on the size of your yard that is probably a years worth.

Yours will should have the SpeedFeed 375. It will look like this on the bottom.

[​IMG]

If it doesn't take it back. I put the Shindaiwa SpeedFeed on my Echo 280T when it was still brand new lol.

I use .105 line but my trimmer is 28cc vs your 23cc. I would use .095 with your trimmer. Did you already buy trimmer line? Echo Crossfire line is the brand I would suggest and it is cheaper at lawnmower shops but it is available at Home Depot.

14. MiddleMan

Yes it does have the speed feed, I will look into the echo crossfire trim line 2marrow. Thanks again.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Since we're on a lawncare topic here, anyone have any experience with tillers? Would an attachment work fine for about 1/2 an acre, or should I buy a standalone tiller?

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

How much time do you have to devote to the tilling?

If you went the attachment route, what device would be providing the power?

For 20,000 sq feet (roughly 1/2 acre), I would consider getting a tiller unless you have a beefy device to power a beefy attachment.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I'm buying a new mower this weekend as well. I'm torn between these two
    http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
    http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have my pros and cons over both, but it boild down to a couple of items: The Honda has the twin blades for extra mulching (an absolute must with the number of oak trees I have), but the Toro has a more powerful engine, larger cut, and cheaper price.

I am really divided over this decision.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think the Toro is the one I have (Model name: Recycler). I was faced with the very same choice you made, as I know the Honda motors re really good (don't base the decision on the specs... I'd guess the Honda motor is as strong if not stronger that the B&S that comes with the Toro).

That said, the Toro mulches really well (I think based on the blade design) and the engines starts on the 1st or second pull every time. The one thing I would suggest giving thought... the Honda has a rust-proof deck while the Toto does not. Seems here in Houston that is a bigger factor.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've had the same Toro for about 4 years now, and it does fantastic. I will warn you that the self-propelled power is pretty weak, so you have to help it along. That being said, it cuts beautifully and cranks every time on the first or second pull, with little maintenance. I got it for about $70 cheaper than that at a local dealer, so I'd shop around.

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I'm gonna go with the Honda. I think the big thing that swayed me was a 6-year warranty on the Honda. That's huge to me. Plus what weslinder said:

I have no intentions of helping it along. I'm 48 years old - this damn machine better do all the work.