1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need feedback for a lawn mower.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MiddleMan, Mar 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yep.

[​IMG]

(feedback- Honda motors on mowers are great IMO)

2 people like this.
  3. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Being around small motors most of my life... I'd say honda will always be the way to go with briggs and straton right behind them..

1 person likes this.
  4. MiddleMan

Thanks for the feedback I will go with the Honda.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

6. icrnk

icrnk Member

You can also get Honda engines on Husqvarna (Swedish company?) and Toro (American) mowers.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/lawn-mowers/compare-lawn-mowers/

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/superrecycler/wpm_490-7864_09_super_recycler_ss_lo.pdf

1 person likes this.
  7. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

I have owned 2 of these. Without a doubt the best mowers I have ever had.

1 person likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

installing or jury-rigging a feedback system for a lawnmower may sound good, but it's actually a bad idea. The idea of running the output back into the blades and grinding grass clippings into every smaller bits is noble, but then once you hit a pebble or a children's toy, look out. Game over.

9. rage

rage Member

That is a darn good and expensive lawn-mower.

Personally, I don't care about all the bells and whistles. The most important thing is the engine and many lawnmowers would do credible job. The 2 basic things, and must have, are self-propelled and electric-start. I suppose most good models these days have them but mine didn't and it was hard to pull start an old mower. Pushing it thru high grass was no picnic either.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

In my experience, Honda lawn mowers are great, but way overpriced. I would go look at a Toro, and see if you can find one comparable. I'd bet that you can get it for $200 less.

1 person likes this.
  12. cson

cson Contributing Member

I have a Toro and its pretty nice!

13. Bandwagoner

Oh yeah if you really want to buy american and spend a little more get this commercial grade exmark..

http://www.exmark.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProductType=24

The engine is a commercial grade kawasaki (or Honda) that is better than the consumer grade on the Honda 217. Steel wheels, super tough, american made. About 849 at an eXmark dealer.

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Pretend like you're dead and then when Death shows up jump up and say, "Ha, I tricked you - now use your scythe to mow my lawn, dumbass!"

If your ruse is successful, Death is required, by law, to mow your lawn.

15. Bandwagoner

Electric start is crazy on a push mower. All it adds is weight which u will notice more than pulling a rope to start a little engine. I would also disagree that the engine is the most important. The most important is deck and wheels.

16. rage

rage Member

You didn't have a smiley so I assume you were serious. :)

If you have fun with pulling a rope to start the engine, by all means, go for it. I didn't like it very much when I had to pull that cord for the umpteenth time to start mine.

Deck and wheels? Really? Like, you would prefer some lawn-mowers over others because they have nice wheels?

17. Bandwagoner

If you maintain an engine, pulling a rope once or twice beats pushing a ten pound heavier lawnmower around a yard a thousand times.
    Deck is most important. Tall decks better for mulch, others better for bag, and neither of those is ideal for discharge since the opening is usually in the back. Wheels are important because if u get one with steel wheels and good bearings push And turning effort goes way down. I think u have just had some old engines.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You should never have to pull the cord more than twice to start a mower.

Maintaining the engine and priming it properly are the key.

19. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

I've had the same Honda lawnmower for the past 16 years. With the exception of the first start after winter (which takes 3 cranks,) it starts up on the second pull every time. It uses less gas, is whisper quiet, and makes cleaner cuts than anything else IMHO.

They cannot be beat. I've seen my neighbors go through a new lawnmower every 2-3 years since I invested in a Honda.

20. MiddleMan

Just purchased the Honda HRX217VKA two hours ago for $599 and with 6 year warranty. Thank guy's for your constructive feedback. Now in the market for a lightweight gas trimmer, any suggestions?