1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you rate our GM DM now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prince, Feb 24, 2011.

?

Rate our GM'S performance today

1. A - Best

71 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. B - Good

218 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. C - OK

180 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. D - Not Happy

103 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. E - Worst

32 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your smoking crack. Just because DM did not trade a player away does not mean that no one wanted them. We know that teams were wanted Lee. We traded Battier and AB for 1st round picks. We know that Dallas wanted KMart. You are exaggerating with your statement to say the least.

2. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

He even marked each grossly exaggerated comment with a "!!" for our convenience.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He kept Lee, so I give him a B-

I like the Dragic trade, but dislike the Thabeet trade, mostly because Thabeet will be nothing.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

LOL, like the Knicks, right?

Get out of here with that bull****.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Aw c'mon MadMax! You mean to tell me that you aren't excited over the shiny new Thabeet and Dragic deck chairs that replace those old worn out Battier and Brooks deck chairs aka "assets" on the good ship Rockets' Promenade Deck? Man, you are soooo picky! I say give DM a break here. After all, just look at all of those remaining deck chairs he's collected that will have the other teams beating down our doors come 2011 (or 2012 or 2013 or 2014...).

6. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

When you trade for a player that you openly admit in the press conference your not sure has the desire needed to make it, it is never good. Its apparent our assets are not that valuable.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I know we're all frustrated that we couldn't land a star or big name, but I'm sure it's not for lack of trying.

But DM did the right thing in getting something back for AB and Battier who we may lose for nothing at the end of the year, in the process opening up some time at the 3 for T-Will (now up to RA to play him) and Lee (as AB was taking time both at back-up 1 & 2). We need more playing time for those that will be around after this year, not AB and Battier.

That the 1st round picks come lottery protected is to be expected. Neither Menphis nor Phoenix have any guarantees they could resign Battier and AB, so they are already offering a lot.

I'm just glad we did not do panic selling of players that have the potential to develop further, but didn't get the time to.

While AB is clearly a superior offensive player to Dragic, he was more suited to starting with Yao, okaying volume minutes and shooting volume 3s. I suspect our second unit regressed this year because they weren't playing with Lowry. Dragic, despite being slower than AB, probably pushes the tempo beqtter than AB, and is probably a better fit for the Yao-less Rockets and for the second unit. And he gives a better and taller defender at the 1.

As for Thabeet, at least we get an extra year out of him than Battier with an option to pick him up for year 4, and if we're going young, at least Thabeet and T-Will has more long-term potential than Battier, and cost roughly at the same combined.

My guess is Brad Miller and RA will be gone at the end of the year.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would have liked to see us move Scola. Even if just for another first rounder and an expiring. I think DM now will look to trade into the top 5 this year and grab a player to build around.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A bunch of debbie downers. Fitting bc that's how most people have been after every Morey move with the exception of the Martin trade.

You guys will be back on the bandwagon soon enough.

10. worzel gummidge

Sonics did not dump Collison when they became the Thunder. Similiar kind of contracts too. He's actually a key role player that. They even extended his contract recently.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what wagon? The one that leads to purgatory. Besides Artest/Scola I can't remember the last time I think he did a good job.

They have been mediocre moves that everyone on here augments to no end. And it is the bias that clouds their judgment. I guess the reality of our situation hasn't set in well, kind of like the majority were 3-4 years late in denial when it came to Yao's health.

12. acjeitherocket

gets a C from me.......for now

13. mrwigit

mrwigit Member

Maybe before we start grading we should look at some past draft history. There have been some very good players drafted in spots 14 through 20, which is where the picks we obtained are likely to be. Check it out - http://www.nba.com/history/draft_round1_2000s.html

We also need to remember that Landry, Brooks, and Budinger were all drafted lower than 20th. So even if the players received don't pan out those draft picks could end up being very good players for us.

When we add in the cap flexibility we will potentially have this offseason and in 2012 its very possible that this trade deadline will be looked at as positively as the last two years (adding Kyle Lowry & Kevin Martin).

14. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

If Thabeet turns out to be a serviceable center who plays 20 min a game, I will give an A, otherwise it's a B.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's a good GM, and knows what it takes to win. but people overrate him on this board.

just like how we judge players, if you can't deliver a star as a GM (as he has promised and tried to do), can't put him as great.

we all know morey is trying, so that's great to know as fans.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

When was the last time a GM managed to snag a star player without having one in place already? Oh, and one who inherited something like the following.

Alston
    Head
    Hayes
    Battier
    VSpan
    JHo
    Novak
    Deke(40 years old)
    Yao(Injured)
    T-Mac(injured and whiny)
    No capspace
    3 1st rounders in the mid 20s
    1 1st rounder at #14

If Morey could've landed a star with that, he wouldn't be "great". He would be a god among GMs.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree, he gets a B. He has done good considering what he has had to deal with. He can stay. ;)

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I give it a B. Its a classic Morey move. Play it safe as possible and hope you get more than you bargained for.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I love how people point to that one playoff game where Dragic went off to downplay his down year this year but yet they criticize Brooks when he had more than 1 good playoff game here in Houston.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Now my thought is Morey did ok. Around the C to C+ range. His deals don't stick out. The deals he made are not right now moves but more like you can't accurately grade them until we see what those picks turn out to be and also how Thabeet and Dragic turn out in Houston which my expectations are not that high for them.

On to the Brooks trade. Why in the world do a lot of people on this board keep saying Morey sold Brooks low? What exactly do some of you think his value was? I can tell you Brooks trade value was not as high as many of you think. I will never understand how damn near the whole board can admit to Brooks struggling this year and then complain when we don't get a lot for him. If he was having a good year some of you would have a point but he was not having a good year.