1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Houston offering young talent + picks for Nene

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Naw NeNe not that good of a rebounder either.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They can go after him and renounce him if and when a guy like Williams or Howard said yes. Not sure why that would be an obstacle.

Nene seems like a "quick fix". Maybe the thought is, grab a good center while you can?

He reminds me a bit of Kevin Willis, probably just in that he's big and strong around the rim, but not much of a shot blocker, and is a decent enough offensive player. He's not nearly the rebounder, though.

3. opticon

opticon Member

I think Nene would be a solid pickup as well.

The Rockets problem has always been about getting KEY rebounds. I don't Care if Nene averages 15 and 5 or even 3. As long as those 5 rebounds or less are the ones that count at the end. Those last 5 or six possessions in a game that are make or break.

A core of Scola , Martin, Lowry and Nene is very solid. We would just need to build a bench around those guys and we would be very solid as a team.

One of the reason Melo wants out is because there are no guarantees management are committing to Nene.

Nene has serious value.

4. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

How much time is left on Nenes contract

5. rocketsmetalspd

Everything is depending on Melo. Looking at the standings, I just don't see Melo going with the Nets. He will be a Knick and whatever Denver gets in that deal will get them to hopefully take less(picks) from the Rockets.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yeah, i'd say rebounding is the one thing i'm not high on about Nene. I really like him as the missing piece to go compete now, but the problem is that we have two missing pieces. Getting Nene makes no sense if he doesn't sign an extension. He makes little sense is we do not get another impact player so we can compete for the playoffs this year. If we are rebuilding, the Nene trade is a bit more curious, but he should still solve our 5 problem over the next 4 years (providing he signes the extension).

7. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Sweet! Just what we needed, I would give up Jordan Hill and a 1st rounder for Nene, and knowing Nuggets there greedy so throw in Chase If you have too.

Lowry
    Martin
    Battier
    Scola
    Nene

Starting Lineup Improves in Defense, and Our bench Improves in Defense as well, with Chuck Hayes coming off the bench. Will this solve our Center Position as we have Brad Miller as 3rd stringer? I would say Absolutly!

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Perfect post, i couldn't agree more. Don't trade for him unless we can (or have) reach a reasonable contract extension, and please don't include Patterson. Yeah, Nene is better, but I really like what I see from Patterson and would rather see Scola go in a trade than Patterson.

Pugs

9. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

what happened to targeting a guy with upside? Nene is capped out. Does he improve our wins by 5-10? yeah most likely. does he help us contend? not really. get a young guy that will be in his prime in 3-5 years as opposed to having another scola in 5 years.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Anybody but Denver, they probably want Morey's kids but he would probably trade them. Denver supposedly wanted 4 Knick starters Chandler, Gallo, Fields and Felton and a first for Melo and Billups. That front office is too young and inexperienced to structure reasonable trades, they aren't going to move anybody with the demands they make.

11. mazinger

mazinger Member

Why Nene if we already have Scola? Scola is cheaper too. Don't **** up Morey.

12. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

No way check this stat out;

Nene in FGM AND FGA for 2010-2011 season 278-437 Avg 15ppg and about 7Rpg and his FT% has improved big time from 55%ft shooter in his young Nba season and has rising up this season up to 76%. That's potential still growing as the guy has only shot the ball 437 times to get to his 15ppg.

Scola on the other hand has attempted 444-884 FGM AND FGA Averaging 19ppg.

If Nene shot the ball just as much as Scola then Nene would probably be averaging 25ppg+.

Nene is the REAL deal Rockets Fans!

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Scola and Battier are already 30, KM is 28 and if we end up resigning Yao he will be 31 next year. Lowry has already developed most of his talent at 26 years old as well, a 28 year old C like Nene is perfect for our core group of guys.

A young guy like say Thabeet (just as an example) would be in PP, C-bud, T-will range already and wouldn't maximize KM and Scola's prime years.

14. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Absolutely no Nene.

We are not even close to contending with what we have right now and Nene does not put us any closer. Heck we are struggling to get a playoff spot. Maybe we make the playoffs with him, but we will just get eliminated in the first roung,

Plus if we are looking for two way players -- Nene is not it.
    If we are looking for upside -- Nene is not it.

I am not completely opposed as long as it is disposable talent or expirings for him.

We better not be thinking of much more than Jefferies and Bud for him -- absolutely no first round draft picks. Maybe Yao if we don't take on another poison pill contract for him.

In the end, I hope Morey is thinking that we should be rebuilding not reloading.

15. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

I know NeNe would be an upgrade to what we have, but I don't think it addresses the problem we have. We need someone who is going to stop team from driving into the lane so often, a shot blocker. That's where we lose most of our games. We have the personell to put up points, we need a defending center.

16. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

I would rather have a Center who's potential can be 25ppg then to have The Ratliff averaging 5BPG and 5ppg.

It's hard to find a Center who can do both, block shots and protect the paint and score 25ppg at the same time, Chris Kaman comes to mind but I would rather have Nene but if Kaman was available I would grab him too.

17. wadero

wadero Member

Isnt Nene more of a PF than Center? This doesnt make any sence unless we are moving Scola?

18. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I don't think we're going to end up with Nene, based on Morey's past. It seems like he always gets everyone thinking he's going after one or two guys, then goes a complete opposite direction. I'm not saying there's no chance we will get him, he may fall into our laps, but I'm not betting on it.

Pugs

19. StraightG

StraightG Member

Man, I so wish the Rockets would just move on. Why are we so concerned about acquiring solid players who are just going to keep us mediocre?? I'd rather rebuild for the future. Nene's solid and with him, this lineup may sneak into the playoffs. But what's the point of that?? Let's build for the future. I thought the goal was the win championships, not to have so-so teams every year. Let's grab some young talent with major upside while we can, whether it be through trade or draft. Let's build a team.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Guys its not just about this year lol...its about next too...

There is only 2 centers available that we can build around nene and gortat...thats it...if you cant get one then next year your starting cetner will be chuck hayes

Id love cousins but obviously thats not happening...id even prefer gortat if they could work out some deal the suns would take...but it is what is...By trading for we prob will ask for a contract negoatiation window....then he will be our stating center of the future while we hopefulyl start trying to draft big men.