1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Was kinda sad seeing TWill in street clothes last night. The guy has talent and Adelman won't / can't play him.

Keep or trade, however, yes, he can be traded, but the league is caught up waiting for All Things Melo. Morey wants to get what he can in a deal without overpaying, other teams are conservative.

Anything that goes down will go down in the last minute, just like last year.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

You have to wonder if it was Morey's expectation that RA would play T-Will when he made the trade.

Why give up a 1st round pick to put a guy in street clothes?

If T-Will isn't traded or placed into the rotation after the deadline, then there is definitely a disconnect between RA and Morey.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you wanna know what the trade deadline will bring?

the rockets will trade Jeffries to either the wolves or the kings (the only 2 teams under the cap enough to absorb his salary), a future second round pick, and $3M cash to cover his remaining salary this season.

the rockets will then be under the luxury tax threshold by roughly $3.5M, plus have a free roster spot. just enough wiggle room to land a cheap young center. no one exciting... someone like hadaddi or ajinca for a TE. maybe not those exact players but someone young, big, cheap, and can be had for next to nothing.

anyway thats the trade deadline for the rockets. wait and see.

1 person likes this.
  4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Did your dog die today?

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If this happened, Morey would be in it deep. With the fans. Hopefully with Les Alexander. He'd be a frog in the microwave.

You might be right on this one, considering how EVERY year we find some way to wiggle under the luxury tax, but only bringing on a serviceable center and riding out the season for a #11/12 pick in the draft and letting all the free agent contracts expire? No, don't see it.

Big jump forward or blow it up for draft picks, but not the middle ground.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I wonder if this was the sentiment of the GARM was around this time last year.

I seem to remember many of us (myself included) thinking nothing would get done, especially as we kept getting closer to the deadline.

7. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Could be. But I think that is only a last resort after every reasonable trade proposal to improve, talent-wise, is exhausted.

Hey, sometimes (like now, heading into a new CBA), some teams simply don't want to make trades.

I think SOMETHING will be done to help the team beyond this season. But it's not like smoothie's prediction is all that unreasonable. It's simply a "realistic worst case scenario" for the Rockets.

9. Sampson4Sleepy

finally someone makes some sense on the forum..

10. Sampson4Sleepy

hold up nash is going to have a shot or 2 at the title in houston after that trade? sarcasm?

11. joesr

joesr Member

why at this point of time they can buy jffries out for that much

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That won't work because the full amount of salary + buyout amount actually paid to Jeffries will count against the salary cap and, thus, the luxury tax. Plus, according to some reports, Jeffries is unwilling to give the Rockets much (if any) discount on a buyout, and I don't blame him.

So, the only alternative to wipe enough of Jeffries's cap figure off the books to avoid the luxury tax is to trade Jeffries to a team that is under the cap or that has a TPE. Since it is unlikely that any team over the cap would use a TPE on Jeffries, we are left with limited options (the Kings and the T-Wolves) to which to trade Jared.

Hope this explains things.

13. EjrRocket11

EjrRocket11 Member

I really wish we somehow got Melo,we all know where he wants to play.. but if there was a slight chance we could get Deron williams and Nene I would faint and sH$% on myself at the same time!!.. cannot wait for the deadline :grin:

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you don't think les' #1 priority right now is getting under the luxury tax threshold?

after morey gets under the LT les will allow him to use that wiggle room. plus i doubt les or morey want to take on any large long term contracts when the new CBA may lower player salaries or even the cap.

im just being realistic.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

my bet is the kings. they always help us out.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

BMoney, here is what I'm saying in regards to 2012 and the extension policy. The spurs extended both parker and manu without knowing the new cba. They also gave jefferson 4 yrs after he opted out. If we are to believe a guy like martin can be a piece to a championship team, why not extend him now. I'm pretty sure if the rockets offered martin a 4 yr 44m extension, he would take it. They could even make the last year partially guaranteed.

Also in regards to extending before the end of a deal is getting young guy locked in earlier at reasonable deals. Take a guy like Jason thompson. Say they rockets trade for him and he starts producing closer to his 2nd yr than this year. 12pts 8 rebs and a 1.5 blks. What is that worth contractually for a 24 yr old big? Probably 5m+. Now I know it would be easy to wait to see him do it again, but if he truly breaks out without an extension, his tag just double.

Back to the Jedi mind tricks, I would set the team up to run at howard and williams as my 2 main targets. That means I'm going to have a young enough core to grow and give the rockets multiple shots at a title. I also think when u get one, the other is coming right behind him.

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Comments and suggestions welcome on this perfect trade to take us to the playoffs and have 2012 plan intact:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chris Paul
    Kevin Martin
    Terrence Williams
    Josh Smith
    Dwight Howard

19. mrjuandiego1988

what do yall this of Andrea Bargnani? at our staring C? i would trade for him!

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Jeffries + TE for Okur would be optional if Utah wanted to get rid of his contract. What do yall think?