1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fifa World Cup 2018 and 2022

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I would be surprised if they didn't either relax their alcohol laws, or just turn a blind eye to them during the tournament. Like his tweet mentioned, Budweiser pays a lot of money to sponsor the World Cup, and if we've learned anything today it's that money talks.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In Russia FIFA take hostage of you

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Voting for 2018

1st round: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.

At least know that FIFA don't/didn't have it in for the USA like they do/did for England. Disgusting.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Actually, it was my guess of how the rotation system works. I didn't figure they'd go back to UEFA with just 1 Cup in between...though I could be wrong.

[EDIT]...and it would appear that I am wrong. They were only not allowed to bid on 2022.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_and_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bids

#84 leroy, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I guess it's decided then. Most hot people are going to skip Brazil '14 and go to Russia '18 and Qatar '22. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's something very savage like about Brazil and it lacks a certain class and refinement when it comes to culture. People dry humping each other in the streets, the po po unable to get a grip on kidnapping, extortion and petty theft, women sleeping with sleazy fat white men who tease them with the idea of an escape from desolate poverty, over aggressive nature of the local men, the list goes on.

Whereas the artistic panache and romantic walks of Russia and the Middle East make them very desirable places to visit.

6. ferrari77

#2022 1st round: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes

Qatar only one short of winning it in first round. Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes 2nd round

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Round 4: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes

From Paul Kelso.

7. ferrari77

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or just trying to stir things up.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

i suspect Qatar will actually put on a good world cup. And it isn't as far from the moneyed people as South Africa. But what a colossal waste of money building the stadiums and infrastructure for the world cup in such a small place.

It's their money -- but still a huge waste. It's like they're prepping for a Dubai-like boom -- but haven't read up on how that one turned out....

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I think they plan on donating most of the stadiums to poorer countries that don't have any stadiums...

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL - you're not getting the World Cup. :p

[​IMG]

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's a dumb gimmick. What do empty, expensive to maintain soccer stadiums do in poor countires? See South Africa - sit empty. This is of course provided they do ever get shipped out and rebuilt. Laughable, they'd be better off selling them for scrap and donating the $$$ to charity.

12. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I believe the new rotation system means England is out of the running until 2030. You can only apply if your confederation hasn't hosted either of the two preceding World Cups.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Neither are you, since you live here. Or I'm sorry, you were too busy embarrassing yourself playing masked luchador villain to have caught that.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you stupid? (Okay, you don't need to answer that one - I know already.) You think you can pack up a stadium and just resurrect it somewhere else? And what SamFisher said.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL. :grin: Nice one. *Boo-hoo*, look at me, I'm crying 'cuz I don't get to go to Reliant Stadium to a World Cup game. Look at me! I'm crying! LOL

So... are you still very very mad, or just "lito" mad?

16. halfbreed

This is why SwoLy doesn't know geography. He is stuck in second grade.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Almost as laughable as having an argument with Swoly D. But not quite.

You can b**** and moan all you want but it's going to happen and it's going to be glorious. The domestic league's in the ME are far more popular than South Africa. Soccer is the sport of the Middle East, I think Qatar finished 2nd in the Asian games. Whereas Cricket and Rugby are more popular in South Africa - the only reason the WC was held there was because on other African nation had the infrastructure to pull it off.

Use your brain to think once in a while, instead of blindly spewing vitriol on the internet and picking on Swoly D. Challenge yourself.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

hey it's the world's game and we've got 2 countries who have never hosted. on top of that we have 2 regions in eastern europe and the middle east that have never hosted either. that's not a bad thing. and come to think of it, if another larger/more capable middle eastern country, like turkey or saudi arabia, had submitted a bid they probably would have one too!

2026 ANTARCTICA!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. trustme

trustme Member

Maybe they won't be empty? Maybe they will develop some kind of local football league kind of like the UFL or something.

20. halfbreed

It will not be glorious. It will be the largest collection of 1-0 games in the history of the World Cup.

The smallest stadium to be built for the WC would hold around 45% of the entire country's population. They are building 8 of them.