1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great news: Glenn agrees to five-year extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Sep 24, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Glenn has been terrific so far... even at his age, it's great to have him around.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1435956.html

Glenn's new new deal worth $27 million

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

The Houston Texans reached agreement with cornerback Aaron Glenn on a five-year contract extension, ESPN.com has learned, and the new deal is expected to be officially signed Tuesday afternoon.

The extension is worth $27 million and includes a $7 million signing bonus.

Glenn, 30, was in the final year of a contract he signed with the New York Jets and would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring without the extension. He was selected by the Texans in the expansion stocking draft.

The on-and-off negotiations intensified last week and the two sides got to within shouting distance of a deal. Texans officials still had some hang-ups about the fact Glenn is 30 years old and doesn't have the kind of physical dimension teams are seeking now at the position. But the veteran cover man and two-time Pro Bowl performer has been terrific in Houston's first three outings and seemingly has turned back the clock a few years.

Glenn will still earn about $4.2 million in base salary, roster bonus and workout bonuses. He had a 2002 salary cap value of $8.013 million, highest on the team, before the extension.

While his age would be a factor, Glenn would have gotten pretty good interest in the open market next spring. That point will, however, is now moot.

The first-round choice of the Jets in the 1994 draft, Glenn has appeared in 124 games and started 123 of them. A two-time Pro Bowl performer, he has 409 tackles, 26 interceptions and 107 passes defensed.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

even at his age??? he's only 30!!! :) geez..i'm creeping up on 30!!!

3. The Cat

Hehe... for an NFL corner, that is getting up there, considering the speed needed to play the position. However, there are definitely some exceptions, and I'm fully confident that Glenn is one of them...

4. MadMax

you're right, Cat! it is getting up there in terms of cornerbacks...Glenn is a pretty good one though...one notable exception was Green from the Redskins!

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know...personally I would have given it longer than 3 games before I made a big decision like that.

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I like the deal. Aaron Glenn when on his game is one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL (Woodson #1 of course) The big problem is on the other side with Marcus Coleman. Next year Capers should look to draft a CB and maybe move Coleman to FS. I still don't understand why we waived Troy Evans #54 and Kevin Williams. Evans was doing a great job on special teams and Williams is a good special teams player also. They should have waived Matt Stevens. That dude is stealing a pay check.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

There was talk of resigning him in training camp. The Texans knew what they were getting and so far he hasn't disapointed. Also his cap hit this year is like 8+mill. Number on on the team even over Boselli. This drops it down a bit for next year. More money for free agents. I personally am rooting for Takeo Spikes from Cincinnati. God that poor guy would probably pay to leave the Bungles.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Spikes is a F.A. next season? WOW that dude is a damn good ball player but just on a sorry team. If we can get him to go along side Sharper that would make this defense even better. Another F.A. to look at on the offensive side
    is David Boston.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Is the contract for Glenn guaranteed, or can we just waive him later on in the contract if his play slips?

10. The Cat

Boston is a free agent? Didn't know that. I know he grew up in Humble, so it could be interesting...

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

No football contract is ever guaranteed...

THe only guaranteed money football players receive is their signing bonus.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Glenn might just be my favorite Texans player. He plays with such enthusiasm, and is a hometown boy.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Great move by the Texans.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think this is a solid move by the Texans.

15. MadMax

i don't think that's right...though certainly most are not guaranteed, i believe there are quite a few players who have guaranteed deals...i believe Brett Favre is one of them

if i'm wrong, let me know...i'm not certain, but i think the situation has changed.