1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bateer, Reid, & pick to Detroit for White

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LakerMania, Sep 23, 2002.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If the Pistons want Batter he could still be a useful backup for Rebraca. Rebraca is 30 years old and Batter is 27.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't the Pistons still have Uncle Cliffie (Robinson)?

If so, then IMO the Pistons have 3 Centers each with a different game and any of which would be a decent backup in the WC. Given that Clark and Camby have gone West, Zo will likely miss the season, Ewing (and probably Olajuwon) has retired...

Unless I've missed a trade, aren't the Nuggets 5 deep at SF?

White / McCloud / Bowen / 'Skita / Yarbrough

Maybe he'll draw time at PF. Howard is listed as 6'9" & 250 and Harvey is 6'8" & 220 on RealGM.

#22 GATER, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2002
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

why would Denver toss off Bateer when the Asian mkt is demonstrating great interest wherever Asians compete?

Heck, Ida loved having him here as he is (supposedly) Yao's great friend and idol...

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

White defines the term "one year wonder". He was overlooked by the top colleges for a reason...

Then at USF, he played against stiffs from the C-USA and looked good.

Also, the people who hyped him up pre-draft ala MJ, etc, could have done it just to smoke screen their intentions on who they will draft.

5. Stevie Francis

looks like mj is a horrib;e talent scout. miles, kwame, and white have been busts. And guess who raved about them? MJ.

6. coolpet

coolpet Member

http://www.detnews.com/2002/pistons/0209/24/d02-595289.htm

AUBURN HILLS -- The Pistons are working on a trade that could send Rodney White, the ninth overall pick in the 2001 draft, to the Denver Nuggets.
    "Nothing has been decided for sure," said John Hammond, Pistons vice president of basketball. "Something may happen later in the week."
    Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe said he would not confirm or deny any trade, but added, "We have some little things we are pursuing but no blockbusters."
    White played in only 16 games as a rookie last season and was unimpressive during the team's summer-league games in Orlando, Fla.. He would have most likely come into training camp as the Pistons fourth small forward behind Michael Curry, Corliss Williamson and Tayshaun Prince.
    Another year on the injured list would have been counterproductive for both White and the Pistons.
    There are several different compensation packages being considered from Denver, but all of them include a future first-round draft pick.
    One possible scenario involves a combination of 6-11, 290-pound center Mengke Bateer, former Piston Don Reid, and a first round pick.
    Reid, in the final year of his contract, will make $1.3 million. Bateer, a restricted free agent, would have to be signed -- probably close to the NBA minimum for second-year players ($512,435) -- then traded.
    White's salary is $1.82 million, so the deal would work financially.
    Bateer, from China, played in 27 games last season and averaged 5.1 points and 3.6 rebounds. Reid, who played with the Pistons from 1995 to 2000, averaged 3.3 points and 2.6 rebounds for Orlando last season.
    Another player mentioned in the deal was small forward James Posey. The Pistons don't appear to have interest in bringing in another small forward, so a third team could get involved.
    The Nuggets and Pistons are expected to continue talks today.

Bateer is a stud. he will roll in east!

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

GATER,You're right. Clifford Robinson is still with the Pistons.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

White attended UNC-Charlotte for one year, not USF. Big difference, as UNC-Charlotte makes the NCAA Tourney more often than not.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Damn...and here I thought you were talking about Jahidi White. In my opinion, Kiki has done a great job so far in rebuilding the team. They went from a team with hardly any prospects to a team that is completely loaded with them. They'll suck this year and the next, and maybe even the next, but their future looks about ten times brighter than it did last year. Especially if they have two high lottery picks coming in the next two years. Camby could be a factor for them if he could just get healthy.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You have to give a guy more time then one year, especially when he played one year in college. I never called Wallace or Maggette a star, I said White is in the same boat as far as only playing one year in college before jumping to the NBA like this guys. Look at Maggette, he is showing signs of having a break out year, and Wallace showed flashes of potential last year, particularly in the playoffs. Corliss Williamson is an undersized PF, that's why he struggles, and Fizer is just soft. White has the ability to play the SF spot that's why I think he can be a star. But, just like Maggette when he came into the league, White is having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Kobe Bryant was horrible his first year, as was Maggette who is productive now, Bender, Harrington, even Garnett. I'm not saying he's going to be a superstar, but I think he can be a star in the respect where he can be the #2 scorer on a team if he doesn't become a main option.

#30 RocksMillenium, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2002
  11. mav3434

mav3434 Member

tall or short, I 'm just glad the rockets didn't end up with White. Rumor had it they really liked him during the draft.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agreed. He's another person who has not really learned to play the game, a poster-child for the arguments of Ralph Wiley in his recent ESPN2 column. Love that column.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think Kiki's doing a pretty good job, considering the mess his predecessor made. Next year the Nuggets will have beaucoup cap room to facilitate deals. Tskiti will rock. Nené will rock. But both will suck for a couple'a years. Ditto White, who could be a good backup 3/4. If not, they really didn't give up much in the trade.

So, does Denver lead in the LeBron James sweepstakes, or does Cleveland? See, Cleveland's gonna have to make a move now. "Oh, God, they suck worse than we do. Quick: find out if we can pick up Yinka Dare; is he still playing anywhere? Siberia? Get me the phone!"

14. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

Better yet - get me George Karl on the phone!!!

15. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

of course detroit would give up on rodney white this easily. this is the same team that traded their star player jerry stackhouse for richard hamilton who is a good player, (but has yet to prove himself to be a leader on a team), and a bunch of scrubs. so i wouldnt be surprised if detroit gave up rodney white. hell, they never used white any ways.:rolleyes: all he did was ride the pine most of the year in detroit.

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

IMO,i would mos def. keep the 1st round draft pick for a chance of Lebron James or even drafting James White..
    Rodney White may be a good player but the Nuggets are going to have to be patient anywayz..so why not keep the pick.

17. tay money

tay money New Member

I think that both Yarborough and McCloud will log more time behind posey at 2 than play at the 3. Bowen has earned time as well, being the only nugget that when he was on the floor the nugs scored more than their opponent. I see it like this
    1 Jackson, Satterfield IR Harrington
    2 Posey, McCloud, Yarborough IR Savovic
    3 Skita, Bowen, White
    4 Howard, Harvey, Anderson
    5 Camby, Nene, IR Blount

with Harrington and/or Savovic not making it through training camp

18. tay money

tay money New Member

I read that White spent most of his summer working with Dumars. Apparently Joe wasn't impressed after all the work he put in. Bzdelik seems to be putting a team together that is all about hustle and conditioning. Reid and Bateer somewhat fit into this, but what kind of work ethic does Rodney have?

19. foodworld

foodworld Member

White looks like a poor man's Donyell Marshall - who, despite putting up good numbers these past few seasons, was a bust with two NBA teams. Unlike Marshall, however, he isn't that good off the glass (or at least wasn't in college, when he couldn't position himself and would get pushed around by undersized centers) and sounds like another crappy swing-forward. If he ever has a breakout year, it will probably be five seasons from now. Good trade for Detroit.