1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Loretta

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Refman, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This guy has been phenomenal since we acquired him from the Brewers. I think he'd be an upgrade over Lugo. I'd like to see Loretta as our SS next year.

What do you guys think?

2. Truth

Truth Member

Keep him: Ok. Upgrade over Lugo: No.
    If you'd think back Julio had everyone marveling over his improvement over the past year. He was walking, hitting, and playing good D, before that fat punk Wood plunked him. If Lugo would've never gotten hurt, and you would've brought up trading for Loretta everyone would've said, what! This is the same thing that has happened with MoT and Kenny.

3. Refman

I'll agree that Lugo was having a good season. My problem with Lugo is that he is inconsistent. Loretta has been simply incredible since the trade. If I were in the Astros brass I would give Loretta every chance to win the job next spring.

4. Truth

Truth Member

I think Lugo was on his way to being a very consitent player. As a matter of fact, inconsistent on defense or offense?

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I like Loretta, and would rather have him, because he doesn't make stupid baserunning mistakes that kill rallies, like Lugo does. They are somewhat equal everywhere else though.

However, there is ZERO chance we re-sign him because McLane would rather go the cheaper route by letting him walk, and going with Lugo, and the awesome Adam Everett.

6. Truth

Truth Member

Adam Everett=Awesome. Heh. It must be getting cold in hell.

7. Refman

kidrock's gonna call McLane cheap...there's a big shock. :rolleyes:

The Astros have already started talking about resigning Loretta. If they think that Lugo and Viz are the way to go they won't try to resign Loretta. Either way it will be a baseball decision. It's not Loretta is going to command a huge salary.

8. Major

Major Member

The Astros have already started talking about resigning Loretta. If they think that Lugo and Viz are the way to go they won't try to resign Loretta. Either way it will be a baseball decision. It's not Loretta is going to command a huge salary.

I think even if they go with Lugo and Blum as the starters, they'll try to keep both Viz and Loretta as backup infielders. Both can play any position in the infield which gives the Astros a ridiculous number of options for resting players and pinch-hitting.