1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'll add this:

This whole thing is a wreck for the Eagles. All this shows is that trading McNabb should have not happened. Pretty much everybody is backing Vick right now and that cannot be good for Kolb is he is indeed the quarterback of the future.

I think a lot of this has to do with the offensive line. Vick's mobility and Kolb's lack of mobility gives the Eagles a better chance. Vick got sacked 6 times by the Lions and hit even more times than that but still managed to sport impressive numbers. I cannot fathom what those numbers would have looked like with Kolb back there not to mention he is coming off a concussion.

I think a lot of this has to do with all eyes focused on Reid now. McNabb isn't the focal point in Philly anymore and the blame lies squarely on Reid now. and his job is on the line. Vick, more than likely gives this team the best chance to win and is on a good, little run right now so he is trying to save face with the hot hand.

It is unfair to Kolb but you play to win the game and if a player gives you the best chance to win you have to go with him.

2. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

WOW that was quick!

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cApCf6Bq2L4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cApCf6Bq2L4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

4/29/2010: Signed a two-year, $12.25 million contract.

Kolb is signed through 2011.

He is a free agent come 2012.

So it looks like he's got one year more than Vick left on paper.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Anybody who thought that Kevin Kolb would give the Eagles the better chance to win over Vick this year either severely over estimated Kolb or severely underestimated Vick. They should've never bothered signing Kolb if they were interested in "winning now".

I think the Eagles will regret this move, simply because they're flushing a season down the toilet by chasing some rainbow in the hopes that Vick can lead them to a meaningfully successful season (which for Philly, basically means winning the damned superbowl) and that ain't happening.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sometimes change for the sake of change is not good. The Eagles traded away a great QB so two huge question marks could lead their team. I never thought Kolb could be a successful starter. If Vick ends up being good enough this year, the Eagles are forced to pay him and keep him or the cupboard will be empty.

DonnyMost, put me in the "underestimating Vick" category. But it's a long season and we'll see how he continues to perform.

7. Lil Pun

OK, I misunderstood the contract terms. It is through 2011 but it is front loaded so he is basically making all of his money this season. Still, if the Eagles like Vick sign him to a multi-year deal and if they don't like Kolb trade him. Neither would really be shocking as the Eagles do not become attached to players and sometimes they'll offer a vet nice amounts of money if it equals wins.

8. Lil Pun

You must not have paid attention this whole offseason because that is what the entire organization stated. They constantly said they can win now and this team is not rebuilding. I think they did a little of both, they overestimated Kolb and underestimated Vick. They fell in love with Kolb's two performances last season while downgrading Vick because of his rather subpar performances from a season ago. You could say the same thing now of course but we have to see how it plays out because yes you yank a player that is performing poorly but you do not do the opposite.

I'm not sure a successful season means winning a Super Bowl. Nobody picked the Eagles to be in contention in this division let a lone a playoff spot. If Vick can lead the Eagles to either, then I would call that success. Winning the Super Bowl is everybody's main goal but you can have a successful season without grabbing the title.

9. Lil Pun

I'm with you and it appears that the majority of the media and many players (outside of Philadelphia) also agree that McNabb should have never been dealt. Chris Collinsworth said it best on the premiere of Inside the NFL earlier this season, "There is no way you give Kolb that job unless he won it outright."

Seeing how this plays out is key. Vick gets hit quite a bit, as the Detroit game shows. Durability will definitely be a key factor going through the season among other things.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You think the Philadelphia Eagles long term financial success rides on Vick's performance this year? You think fan interest would differ that much if Vick or Kolb were starting? I doubt it.

They have more time, resources (read: draft picks, time spent grooming), and money (something near 3 times as much) invested in Kolb.

They cut bait after 2 quarters. Can you really rationalize that by just saying "Vick is playing better"? Really? How short-sighted is that? Did anybody honestly think Kolb was better than Vick as of this year? Kevin will find his way one way or another, it would've been nice to be treated somewhat fairly in the process though. I can't think of a single quarterback who was only given 2 quarters to establish his 'era'.

Dumb move unless 1) Vick starts playing more than "inspired" football (I don't care what Reid says) and 2) he doesn't bolt for a payday with a team more desperate for a QB (which is my guess of what will happen).

This is about long-term vs. short-term.... To me, it looks like the Eagles are chasing waterfalls here.

[​IMG]

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I heard someone on the Matt and Adam show
    saying that They think philly will trade Kolb
    and he'd end up in with the cowboys

I could not help but laugh
    Imagine . . .trading Two QBs . . .within your division
    in the same year. . .

Not going to happen

Rocket River

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Rumor had it the Cowboys and Ravens were high on Kolb before the draft.