1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good was the Houston Rockets' Robert Horry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 21, 2010.

?

How good was he?

1. Fresh Prince of Bellaire

79 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. He is Legend

46 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Seven Pounds of championship rings

42 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Horry - Never lost in the 1st round
    TMac - Never got past the 1st round

Nuff Said *Grin*

he could have done more
    but
    I'm good with what he is doing.

Rocket River

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Picture of a player who did beat the Jazz

[​IMG]

Picture of a guy who was on the previous guy's team:

[​IMG]

Video of that guy

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZdik09RGJI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BZdik09RGJI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He was always one of the very best at stepping up his game in the postseason. His play during our second championship run was easily the best of his career and we don't even see Orlando without him.

Like everyone but tinman is saying, he openly admitted to not having a passion for the game and it showed. He had the potential to be a blend of Pippen (minus the ball handling and passing) and Rasheed. When I saw him and Sam yucking it up on the bench during a blowout in 95-96 season, I was ready for them to go in the Barkley trade. If they stayed, Horry's amazing playoff record doesn't happen.

4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Lukewarm on Horry.

Loved him as a Rocket and appreciated his contribution for those two rocket championships. However once he left, I treated him like a step-child.

I'll give that he's clutch hitting big shots in playoffs but as a regular season player I never regarded him as having much talent. He played just hard enough not to get fired. During the regular season he wasn't a consistent or superstar type of player - just a regular NBAer.

Career wise, Robert Horry is smart because he's played with talented, hall of fame guys (Hakeem/Kobe) who put him in the best position to score.

All that hardware that he's won makes me green with envy cuz I wish he did it for Houston. :mad:

5. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

He is good enough that I wouldn't even complain if we signed him now.

Big shot!!

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Why did you pose your thread title as a question, when all you're going to do is argue with the posts that refute what you clearly already believe? You should've just titled this thread, "I think Robert Horry was really good." If you ask a question on a message board you'll get a myriad of opinions in response.

I think anyone who ignores the fact that Horry did not play up to his natural ability is using revisionist history. I remember him being a great clutch shooter in the playoffs, but also an extremely frustrating player when he was given heavy minutes and attempted to be 3rd scoring option for our team.

Had he played in the league for as long as he did, and did not win any more titles beyond the two with the Rockets, I believe he ultimately would've been deemed a dissapointment... only because he had LOADS of talent and athletic gifts the likes of Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes would kill to have.

That's not to say that I don't love the guy... I would've taken him back any time during his career.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If you were going to make a Hall of Fame for role/supporting cast players, Horry would be a unanimous choice on the first ballot.

[​IMG]

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Well said. I couldn't have said it any better on my thoughts of Robert Horry.

9. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I see a lot of people mentioning what he did (or couldn't do) offensively but where he really excelled was on defense. Good shot blocker and one on one defender. He was one of the main reasons our defense was so good during the championship years.

As for his career, he was fortunate to play with a lot of hall of famers but he always did his part and did it well.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He was an elite defender.
    Good Passer.

If Battier is Mr. Intagibles. . . .Horry is Mr. Intagibles 2.0 [ the prototype]

Rocket River

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He turned into a lazy 3-point shooter towards the end of his tenure in Houston.

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

No disrespect, but Reggie >>>>> Horry

13. Southern Select

Well it was nice to have a cool dunker besides Hakeem when Horry got here.

He brought some more above-the-rim action the Rockets were needing.

Horry was Horry - smart player, good slasher / shooter / defender. He just had no ball handling skills.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was unhappy with him when:

1. i'd watch him walk up and down the court in the regular season. he desperately needed to open up and consume a can of care;

2. down 3-0 to the Sonics in 96, he was already talking like it was over....even if you know it is, you don't communicate that.

but he was hugely critical to two title runs. he came up HUGE in the 95 Finals, in particular.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He went from being a slasher/dunker to just camping out behind the 3-point line waiting for the ball.

16. Orion025

Orion025 Member

One of my all time favorite Rockets. As a child watching the Rockets win their back to backs, Horry was a hero. Sure he put his game on cruise control during the regular season, but he showed up when it really counted. Timing was everything for him; he joined his championship teams at the right time, and he timed those daggers to seal the big games perfectly and earn his reputation.

Wouldn't mind having him and OT on the team right now.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Whoa... someone's getting a bit carried away there...

When you've played on teams with Hakeem and Drexler/Robinson and Tim Duncan/Shaq and Kobe...isnt it expected that you'll get out of the first round and get rings?

Robert Horry was just at the right place at the right time.

Hell...if you've got those kinds of players ahead of you, why wouldnt you camp out behind the 3-point line and wait till you get the ball?

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

W3RD!

19. KPG

KPG Member

He was a good role player here and really nothing more. I still wonder what would of happened if the Horry+Bullard for Sean Elliot trade would of went down.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"good"= 7 championships?

how about the best role player that ever played in the NBA.