1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 Offseason [Trades, Free Agents]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Apr 14, 2010.

?

Al Jefferson?

1. Would

94 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Wouldn't

87 vote(s)
    48.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Obtaining Bosh in no way shape or form will require sacraficing "all" our tradeable options. This may have been the case at the deadline, it isnt anymore. Its unlikely we would have to take Calderon, but if we did, thats the cost of Bosh and no other assets would go back. We just dont have the pieces to take back that much salary. To me gutting the team is trading one of Brooks, Scola, Yao or Martin. Its unlikelhy any of those guys are involved in the trade.

Championship teams are not built by slowly accumulating mid to late round picks, which is what this team will get every year. Championship caliber teams are made by turning a few good players into one great player. Like the Cavs did with Jamison, Magic with Carter, Spurs with Jefferson, Mavs with Butler, Nuggets with Billups, etc.

The Center position is important but we cant not upgrade other positions until we have a center. To me the best approach is to add Bosh and hope Yao recovers. If he doesnt you use him and his contract the same way we did with McGrady. Get back more pieces by offering salary relief and use those to get another impact player.

[​IMG]

Our last all-in was Artest. It cost us Donte Green and Omri Caspi. Did it work? no. Was it worth it, imo yes. Omri and Donte proved to be easily replaceable with Budinger, Wafer, etc.

I like both those guys but I dont think drafting them and going after Bosh is mutually exlusive.

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

How about Ben Gordon? He's a great closer, he's instant offense, he's probably available in trade.

Have Gordon come off the bench when Yao sits, give him the ball at the end of games.

A third team would have to be involved to make the trade. I can't figure out how to make the salaries work or who we should give up to get him, but Morey's smarter than me, so get it done Morey.

3. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Do Not Want!

Gordon sucked this season with the Pistons and his contract is horrendous.

4. hm70

hm70 Member

That's cool!!!!
    Bosh & Yao or Amare-Yao : Yeaaah!!!! :)

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Respectfully, I think your homer glasses may be clouding your vision here on what exactly Bosh would cost us (both literally and financially). Aside from the obvious "so-so is better than losing him for nothing" argument, what sort of realistic proposal can you envision that wouldn't involve us parting with our key trade assets and at least one of the players you mentioned? If I'm Toronto and Bosh forces the issue (another point that's instrumental in this process), I'm attaching Calderon's nasty contract to any Bosh S&T proposal. In other words: at least Brooks is part of the deal. Now, maybe it's just me but I have a hard time picturing Colangelo saying "Okay, give me Battier/Jeffries + Jordan Hill + the NY pick and we'll call it a day". There will be better offers for Bosh than that.

This is the "crossroad" that I was alluding to. In theory, adding whatever we get from Yao without touching this promising group's core should equate to a 50-win caliber team at the very least (provided nothing unforeseen, of course). I'm just merely questioning if the high-profile likely boom-or-bust type move in getting Bosh is smarter than merely just building through the draft and finding more cheap, young and undervalued talent. Naturally, fans are going to gravitate towards the "sexier" move and I understand that. I'm just questioning how smart that idea is, all things considered.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its all speculation at this point, but I personally think Brooks wont be included in any Bosh deal. I am almost certain. That would be a sidegrade, while paying more. Colangelo aleady said he would work with Bosh in any moves, to me that means he is going to accomodate, not hardball by trying to attach Calderons deal.

If theres one thing we have learned from Morey its that he knows what is just enough to get something done. That deal is fair and a pick + prospect is far more than they expect from anywhere else. If we can work out a buyout with Battier + cash, its all the better.

Dallas could offer Dampier + Beuboix (sp) but is that really better? Portland could offer Aldridge + Bayless, but why would Toronto want a worse PF to pair with Bargs with a bad contract? Neither of those teams is going to take back Calderon or Hedo. Even it was, we could simply just add in another pick, which we have in abundance atm.

It doesnt even matter, because I still believe Bosh is unlikely to start a bidding war by providing a list of teams he would go to. It doesnt make any sense for him to do that.

7. Rockets87

Rockets87 Member

Thanks, thought it might have had some useful info.

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

We need a starter quality Power Foward who can back up at the Center position. Maybe someone like Anthony Randolph or through the draft like Epke Udoh or Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe.

If Bosh is not available and either signs with Chicago or Miami, which I think is gonna happen, we need to get on the phone with Warriors GM, and ask them about Randolph. Dude is legit and under Dawson's and Sikma's tutalage, can become our future Center.

Since Nelly is a sucker for soft, jump shooting big men, offer them David Anderson and some other peices to match the salaries.

Something along the lines of Anderson + Taylor for Randolph + Morrow

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger/Morrow
    Ariza/Battier
    Scola/Hill/Randolph
    Yao/Randolph/Hayes

What you guys think?

9. baller4life315

Well, we're obviously going to have to agree to disagree here. Bosh is a top ten player so I fully expect the demand and trade offers to reflect that. The idea that Battier/Jeffries + Hill + the NY pick could be considered an adequate offer for Bosh is incomprehensible to me. Morey is the best in the business and I have full confidence in his negotiation skills, but an irrational move is still an irrational move no matter how you dress it up or try your Jedi mind tricks.

I just see too many variables in the Bosh scenario. Again, I'm all for it if the right deal comes along. He would be a great addition for the right price. People just need to remember we're not some NBA doormat team. We're already good without him so the idea of overpaying for him is quite unappealing to me.

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

What's ur opinion of Anthony Randolph? He fits the bill of a starter quality Power Foward who can play big minutes at the center position. He can be had without completely gutting our team because he is in Nelly's doghouse.

11. baller4life315

Well, the idea of somebody being in Nelly's doghouse is quite irrelevant at this point considering how Nelly should and probably will get canned. That said, he's only 20 years old and he's locked in for two more years on a dirt cheap rookie contract. There's really very little inclination for GS to move him unless it's part of a bigger deal.

In any event, he has a VERY high ceiling with seemingly very little clue as to what to do when he's out there. He's big and athletic so of course he's going to collect rebounds, blocks and garbage points. Definitely still very much a project, though. Given how Jordan Hill currently has the same label and likely projects as a future four (same as Randolph), I'd probably shy away from pursuing Randolph.

12. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

If Morey Could figure a way out to switch martin and fillers for OJ Mayo and fillers i will :grin: and then keep :) all season long because OJ would fit our team perfectly

13. kwng

kwng Member

We need to get Landry back ASAP. I was totally shocked with the trade and I knew we would not make the playoffs this year the moment we traded him. We might had a chance to make it to the playoffs with him without Yao but when he was traded. Zilch.

14. Garner

Garner Member

Not sure if it was posted yet

Knicks after Miller if no Camby?
    11:31
    AM ET
    Brad Miller | Bulls Top Email

The Knicks had hoped to bring back Marcus Camby to New York in the summer, but the free-agent-to-be is close to signing a two-year extension with the Blazers.

The New York Post is reporting the Knicks backup plan could now focus on Bulls veteran center Brad Miller.

The Knicks want to sign two max salary free agents with all the cap room, but will look at various options if they can't get the players at the top of their wish list.

Remember, the Rockets could be after Miller this summer as well, so the Knicks could have some competition.

15. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I feel like New York is going to end up overpaying for mediocre players... I am sad that Camby may be resigning but at that price they can have him...

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Amare play similar game to Landry....so we know what we're getting. He is a bit overrated i think so i wouldn't give up Scola for him. As far as Bosh...i don't know if giving up major pieces for him is worth it since I think Scola is pretty effective in his own way.

17. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I didn't hear about this. Do you have a source on this? I am quite curious.... If that's true then its good news for wherever Bosh wants to go (I will keep my fingers crossed that he choses the Rockets :grin: )...

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I wish we could sign unrestricted FA Kyrylo Fesenko out from under the nose of the Jazz. Even at 300 pounds he looks agile and quick for a 7-1 true center. If we grab him, we can go for the best player available in the draft, preferably a tall, play-maker PG or another SG to back up Kevin Martin. Otherwise, we are almost forced to draft Aldridge, Whiteside or Alabi -- whoever is left at #14 (probably Alabi).

1 person likes this.
  19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Wouldn't it be best if we signed and traded Scola in place of Battier in a Bosh deal? I doubt a player with Scola's skills will be pleased coming off the bench for Bosh.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I agree, Fesenko looked solid last night in a BIG situation. He could be a nice little project for Sikma to tutor. Going to follow his progress throughout the series to see what the kid has in him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.